Another bunch of firmware updates

875S can use Binflash?

[QUOTE=V1rtual;2428388]Thanks Liggy, I had my hopes on a firmware for the Optiarc AD-7593[B]S[/B]… Do you think it will be available soon?[/QUOTE]
I don’t have any AD-7593S firmwares for patching and I can’t see any place to download them.

[QUOTE=v2612;2428473]875S can use Binflash?[/QUOTE]
According to the screenshot, Binflash seems to be able to detect your drive but dumping the firmware fails. This is often caused by IDE/SATA drivers that cannot handle all commands required for accessing firmwares. Booting Windows in Safe Mode may help.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2428303]1.D3 is an OEM firmware. As far as I remember it was from a Lenovo PC.

In most cases it’s probably best to stick to the Optiarc 1.0* firmwares on half-height (desktop) drives. But feel free to try OEM firmwares.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks, I’ll stick with the original ones.

Thanks for your hard work.

Safe Mode as same

Thank you Liggy for all your efforts!
Is it reasonable to change Liggy’s AD-7200S Bitsetting Firmware 1.09 for Liggy’s AD-7200S Bitsetting Firmware 1.0B ?

Thanks Liggy, have put up a 1.00 dump through L&D’s so hope you have got it and can take a look some time.

Optiarc AD-7593S firmware 1.00 including riplock, rpc1 and bitsetting patches added to the site. Thanks to V1rtual for the firmware dump.

Re-Uploaded (hopefully) fixed versions of the 7593A and 7593S firmwares.

[UPDATE]7910S firmwares 1.D0 and 1.D1 have also been updated and hopefully work as expected now[/UPDATE]

Thanks again Liggy, retried the updated 7593S and all working fine! :smiley:

Anyone (except for V1rtual) interested in testing auto-reset firmwares? These firmwares should not permanently store region code changes. According to V1rtual the counter should be reset each time you insert a new disc.

I can offer the following auto-reset firmwares with or without bitsetting patch:
Optiarc AD-5240S version 1.02
Optiarc AD-7200S version 1.0B
Optiarc AD-7240S version 1.02
Optiarc AD-7241S version 1.02
Optiarc AD-7243S version 1.01b

None of those has been tested yet so be aware that they may even damage your drives! If you’re interested, please let me know what firmware you’d like to have and I’ll provide you with a link.

Some more firmwares uploaded:
Optiarc AD-5670S firmware 2AHH and 2AHI (riplock, rpc1 and auto-reset)
Optiarc AD-5960S firmware 1APG (riplock, rpc1 and auto-reset)
Optiarc AD-7670S firmware 1.02 (riplock, rpc1 auto-reset and bitsetting)

You will need the latest Binflash version 1.48 to flash these firmwares.

Liggy,

Off the back of a guide someone’s writing for my forum, we’ve been looking at the bitsetting additions you’ve added to the 7240S firmware.

I wonder if you could tell me how you think it’s supposed to work because it seems a little odd to me / us?!

This is what we’re seeing…

When the drive is reset or its power cycled, it rejects the command used to query the temporary booktype settings of DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL media (‘Invalid Field in CDB’).
Likewise, trying to change the ‘Active’ setting between ‘Temporary’ and ‘Permanent’ also fails with that same ‘Invalid Field in CDB’ error.

What’s weird is that at some (as yet unknown) point just before ImgBurn starts to actually write to the disc, the ‘Temporary’ command (for the specific media in the drive) will suddenly start to work and we can then also manipulate which setting is the active one - be it the permanent one or the temporary one.

This is not how I’m used to seeing the bitsetting stuff in NEC/Optiarc drives work. Previously, once you’d done your magic, the entire set of booktype commands would be available and work - i.e. no ‘Invalid Field in CDB’ type stuff going on.

I wasn’t aware this firmware would automatically apply the DVD-ROM book type when burning, I thought it was just supposed to enable all the bitsetting functions so software could control it properly?

Thanks for your time! :slight_smile:

On another note, Cynthia (the one doing the guide) said she gets 2 instances of her drive in the latest version of your flasher’s windows GUI. One has the SCSI ID (x.x.x) to the left of its name, the other has the drive letter.

Is this by design? (see attached pic)

Hi LUK,

I’m still using a slightly modified version of an old bitsetting code for the new patches. So basically the code should behave like the original bitsetting code. I did an investigation of how all the commands work, but that was a few years ago and I’m not sure if I still remember every little detail. But I’ll try to remember how it works in detail.

The error when querying the temporary booktype before it was set works as designed I think. It simply indicates that the temporary booktype has not been set and the permanent settings are used which you should be able to query at that point.

As far as I remember the only command that will enable querying the temporary booktype for a certain drive is setting it first. I’m not sure if any other command could trigger such a setting as well.

My bitsetting code is not supposed to automatically booktype to DVD-ROM (except for +R-DL discs) - only if this setting was done manually before.

The two instances of the drive are caused by the underlying fPLSCSI routines. They check both, SPTI and ASPI interface for drives. ASPI works on Win9x systems and if manually installed on NT based Windows, while SPTI only works on NT based systems with administrative privileges or when a certain registry key is set.
I created my own routines for accessing drives on multiple platforms that only lists each drive once if possible, but these routines are still undergoing changes and I didn’t have time to make Binflash use these routines instead

Hi Liggy,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all that :slight_smile:

So basically, I can’t query the temporary booktype until I’ve set it? If querying it fails then I can assume the permanent value will be used.

Just so I’ve got it straight my mind (and can have something to refer back to in months/years to come), do you have a breakdown of what is and isn’t supported in the various versions of the booktype commands? i.e. the ones in your 7240 firmware a v4 (according to your tool!), what’s missing in v3, v2, v1 etc?

And is there a byte which tells me the version? (perhaps the last one in the info that gets returned… I see that’s a 4)

CMD c9 02 00 01 42 54 59 50 45 00 00 00
IN 01 90 01 ed 00 04

??

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

I sent you some of my code via PM. I hope this makes it a little clearer

All sorted, thanks! :bow:

Hi, I was interested to flash the drive on my imac (an Optiarc 5670S) but got confused by the different options available on this page: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7670S/

What do fast, RPC1, Auto mean? If these correspond to firmware with different patches, which one do I choose to get all the patches?

thanks for your work!

When you hover your mouse over the text fast, RPC1 or Auto you should get a short explanation. The included patches are also listed in the included readme.txt file

My AD-7243S is, as far as I can tell, an OEM, because it got sent to me from an online retailer with no box or anything except the drive in a plastic bag. I read somewhere that certain firmware doesn’t support OEM, so, should I bother to flash with 1.01b? My player is working fine, is it necessary to flash, is there much to be gained? And how can I find out what firmware my machine currently has on it? Thanks.