Another blow to Windows RT as Samsung backs out

I just posted the article Another blow to Windows RT as Samsung backs out.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/another-blow-to-windows-rt-as-samsung-backs-out-65699/](http://www.myce.com/news/another-blow-to-windows-rt-as-samsung-backs-out-65699/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Interesting. I wonder what MS is charging for the right to put RT on a single device. With tablet prices dropping at a fast pace I can see that there is little room to pay much of anything for the OS that runs on it and be competitive with an Android based device. If MS wants RT to be widely adopted then they had better be prepared to almost give it away to the manufacturers that build the devices.

Google is coming out with a $99 Nexus 7 tablet in the second quarter of this year and Acer is planning sub $100 tablets. By then the “white box” tablets from China will be under $50. Adding an expensive OS (relatively speaking) to these cheap devices isn’t feasible from a marketing angle, IMO.

Edit: I just looked up what MS is planning to charge for each license of RT. It is in the range of $85-$95 PER DEVICE! It had better be REAL GOOD to get people to pay that premium over an Android device. MS seems to have an Apple pricing strategy without the Apple fanboy base to pay it.

Too bad for Microsoft. If their Windows 8/RT tablets had come out just a few years earlier, they might have sold as well as Windows itself has sold, and they might have been able to dominate the mobile computing market, assuming people were willing to deal with the visual decisions Microsoft made. However, I think Microsoft simply waited too long to enter the market (and made some bad decisions when they did). Perhaps Windows 9 will do better.

I think MS is having to deal with two huge issues regarding their future market share across the board. The first is that hardware is getting cheaper while being very powerful. It won’t be long before these $100 tablets are sporting quad core CPUs, 12+ core GPUs, high resolution screens and large storage potential. They can’t expect these manufacturers to double the cost of the device just to have it run RT. They need to scale the cost of RT down to the point it doesn’t break the bank for the end user and offers a financially viable alternative to Android.

The second is they now have a powerful competitor that, for a change, has the overwhelming share of the market for tablet and phone OSs. Android is basically free so they can’t undercut it on price. They will have to produce a product that is noticeably better than Ancroid and put a reasonable price tag on it. MS has never been in this position before and their inexperience is showing by how they have configured Windows 8. They think they can force their customer base to accept a tablet interface on desktops and have it pay dividends by getting a larger share of the tablet market. I think this strategy will have the exact opposite affect of what they want. It will seal their fate in the tablet market and this will ultimately threaten their dominance in the laptop and desktop arena.

If I were calling the shots at MS I would immediately put out an update that makes the Windows 7 Start menu/desktop an option. Then I would all but give away RT to anyone that would have it. Why they think pi$$ing off half their desktop users by forcing them to use Metro will result in gaining market share for RT is a mystery to me. Also, charging nearly $100 per copy for RT is wishful thinking and only Apple can can command that sort of price gouging of its customer base.

[QUOTE=UTR;2672588]Edit: I just looked up what MS is planning to charge for each license of RT. It is in the range of $85-$95 PER DEVICE! [/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t think that’s sustainable given the falling prices of rival devices.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=UTR;2672629]only Apple can can command that sort of price gouging of its customer base.[/QUOTE]

Agreed…or is that Apple-greed?..

Apple could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. They are marketing geniuses.

The cost for windows rt is a double whammy. Windows rt costs a large chunk of cash, and the massive footprint of the os means the tablets need a much larger amount of flash storage.

MS is going to learn a painful lesson: they can’t muscle the tablet industry around the way they’ve done with the PC market. Android and iOS are entrenched and have a commanding lead, with both having their own advantages over RT (iOS in sheer popularity, Android in being free and with a small footprint compared to RT), and unlike PCs, they can’t rely on the business sector to increase their market share because businesses, by and large, haven’t figured out what to do about tablets in the first place. RT, like the Zune, will be a niche product at best, appealing mostly to MS fanboys.

I bought a Cheap Ainol Novo 7 Aurora and it has a dual core ARM cpu, IPS/LED screen and has great resolution for it’s size. The OS was installed as part of the 130 shipped price, it already was rooted and had a bunch of games and useful Android utilities and apps preinstalled too. Why should I pay 500 for one with a extra costs OS incuded that every app I want will also cost me extra.
They need to get real and not look at every customer as a walking wallet with unlimited money for what basically is a cool and somewhat useful toy.
Android will probably bury all the other proprietary OS’s anyways seeing how it’s basically free or very low cost and works well and is also pretty much open source.
Apple stuff is beautiful but way to spendy and locked down for what you get.
I have a memory port, a mini HDMI port that will play about any flavor of video or audio right into my HDTV and all that goodness and I don’t think most of the other much more expensive tablets can do all that either.

UTR that genius marketing is backed up by the fact that Apple also make the best hardware, and they essentially invented tablets and smart phones as we know them today.
Price gouging ? Please… OSX is a $29 O/S.
Apple hardware is expensive but that is not price gouging. You get what you pay for and Apple make the BEST hardware by far. The higher end Mac Book pro is THE BEST laptop PC for Windows or OSX, hands down. But it costs a fortune. I know this and I don’t even like Macs. I’m about to build a new PC clone so don’t mistake me for a Mac zealot. I just really appreciate their hardware. iPads and iPhones were amazing inventions and are rock solid devices.
Drop or throw an iPhone 5 and Galaxy against a wall and see which one shatters. It wont be the iPhone !

[QUOTE=UTR;2672724]Apple could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. They are marketing geniuses.[/QUOTE]

No, they aren’t they simply have the keys to their brainwashed customer/sucker base.

Apple does NOT have “The best hardware” they manage to sell year out of date hardware at a premium due to the self-dilsions of their customer base.

[QUOTE=ivid;2673011]UTR that genius marketing is backed up by the fact that Apple also make the best hardware, and they essentially invented tablets and smart phones as we know them today.
Price gouging ? Please… OSX is a $29 O/S. [/QUOTE]

There is little need to price gouge on the OS price as they more than makeup for it when purchasing the hardware. Also, Apple does not have the best hardware. Especially with laptops and desktop computers. They have the same run of the mill guts as any PC you can buy for 1/3 the price of an Apple product with the same hardware specs.

As for Apple inventing the tablet and smart phone… pleassssssse. :rolleyes:
Apple just took the idea of others and really came to the tablet arena rather late. Tablets in various forms have been on the market for the past 15-20 years. Apple’s first iPad came out in 2010. Heck, Aurthur C. Clark invented the concept of the modern tablet PC in the movie [U]2001: A Space Odyssey[/U].

As for the smart phones, the IBM Simon was the first smartphone and it came to market in 1993. Let’s not forget the Blackberry, Palm etc. The first iPhone came to market in 2007 and it was a stepping stone just like many other smartphones that have lead up to what we have to choose from today.

[QUOTE=ivid;2673011]Apple hardware is expensive but that is not price gouging. You get what you pay for and Apple make the BEST hardware by far. The higher end Mac Book pro is THE BEST laptop PC for Windows or OSX, hands down. But it costs a fortune. I know this and I don’t even like Macs. I’m about to build a new PC clone so don’t mistake me for a Mac zealot. I just really appreciate their hardware.[/QUOTE]

I think Apple should maximize its profits and charge whatever the market will bare for its products. The fact is that much of Apple’s hardware is the same you can get on any other desktop or laptop computer. In many cases one can get much faster hardware, and just as durable, for half the price of Apple products.

[QUOTE=ivid;2673011] iPads and iPhones were amazing inventions and are rock solid devices. [/QUOTE]

The iPad and iPhone are not Apple inventions. They are products that are variations of products that came before them. Saying Apple invented the smartphone or tablet PC is like saying Toyota invented the automobile. I don’t think Apple sells garbage. I think they sell well thought out products that are geared toward its market base of buyers. I also think their products are way overpriced compared to other alternatives. Even the iPod wasn’t an Apple invention of the digital audio player. It was another spinoff of existing technology and a concept pioneered by others.

[QUOTE=ivid;2673011]Drop or throw an iPhone 5 and Galaxy against a wall and see which one shatters. It wont be the iPhone ![/QUOTE]

I think they both will shatter. :wink:

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2673015]No, they aren’t they simply have the keys to their brainwashed customer/sucker base.[/QUOTE]

Hence, they are marketing geniuses. They consistently get they customers to spend silly amounts of money for their products time and time again. Marketing geniuses doesn’t imply they are design geniuses or bring completely new products to market.

[QUOTE=UTR;2673071]I think they both will shatter. ;)[/QUOTE]
I don’t.
The iphone will shatter, the Galaxy will explode.

But the iphone will require 6 weeks of arguing with apple to get a replacement despite constant protests regarding product abuse … and you will pick up the Galaxy, put the battery back in, put the backing on, turn it on, and swear and curse that it takes so damn long for the damn thing to start, and that it’ll take some serious metho to get the dirt out of the corners … and then get back to facebooking, or whatever your choice of personal privacy-abuse is …