Another Benq Mystery Story?

vbimport

Found these @ a Walk in store. this Never had a Typical Benq White Sticker on Top but the Sticker Below Just said BW1640 & Made In Malaysia in Aug.2007,OEM Drive came in a Pinkish Sealed Bag. was told these where imported from Singapore

pics:

Now a Benq 1640 MFG in Malaysia in AUG.2007 ? :doh: These Drive Never fail to Surprise me :iagree:

It’s a Benq!

[QUOTE=chief-techie;1916374]Found these @ a Walk in store. this Never had a Typical Benq White Sticker on Top but the Sticker Below Just said BW1640 & Made In Malaysia in Aug.2007,OEM Drive came in a Pinkish Sealed Bag. was told these where imported from Singapore

pics:

Now a Benq 1640 MFG in Malaysia in AUG.2007 ? :doh: These Drive Never fail to Surprise me :iagree:[/QUOTE]

where did you get this drive ???
Thank you :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Burnsama;1916428]where did you get this drive ???
Thank you :)[/QUOTE]

i live in india mate :slight_smile: never expected to find these :disagree::disagree:

I Guess the Legend of Drives is back :bow::bow:

I have also had Plextor 716s that were made in Mid-2006. It seems to be common practice to keep older models in production for some time after their successors have been introduced, maybe for RMA purposes and these are sold if the need ceases to exist. There is no other logical explanation for that IMO…

Awwww and its not made in China! :clap:

Some More Details:

Scanning is really slow,i guess due to the External Drive Firmware :slight_smile:

now which firmware should i flash with ? dont want to Screw the Drive with the Wrong firmware :disagree:

Judging by the firmware it’s more a DW1650. :rolleyes:

Maybe BenQ/Lite-On are cleaning out the spareparts warehouse, assembling whatever they find.

[QUOTE=ValHall64;1916627]Judging by the firmware it’s more a DW1650. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

me too having this big doubt :doh: dont want to flash with the wrong Firmware & end up in a dead drive :disagree:

is there anyway to distinguish between the 40 & 50 ? just by the Features possible ?

I remember some drives were hard to tell which was which ie… 1640 or 1650. Info is here some where.

The GCHC tells me its a DW1650. The last time I saw that firmware was on an I/O Magic drive but it did not have the elongated eject button like the retail drives.:confused:

If it is a 1650 then wouldn’t it have the dip in burn speed around the 2.0-2.5 gig mark?

Edit:
I’m out of this one as that’s all the info i have at this time.

[QUOTE=alan1476;1916635]The GCHC tells me its a DW1650. The last time I saw that firmware was on an I/O Magic drive but it did not have the elongated eject button like the retail drives.:confused:[/QUOTE]

this does have that Elongated Eject button :iagree: Finish of the Drive is more like a Retail price though i got it as OEM

Check main chip.:wink:

Nexperia PNX7860E =DW1640
Nexperia PNX7862E =DW1650

DW1650 firmware will kill DW1640 drive. Think pinto tried this somewhere here.

[QUOTE=ValHall64;1916651]Check main chip.:wink:

Nexperia PNX7860E =DW1640
Nexperia PNX7862E =DW1650

DW1650 firmware will kill DW1640 drive. Think pinto tried this somewhere here.[/QUOTE]

wr do i find this mate ?

He is asking you to open the drive and look at the mainboard. Not a good idea as this will void your warantee, just use it as it is, its a good drive either way,:iagree:

[QUOTE=alan1476;1916655]He is asking you to open the drive and look at the mainboard. Not a good idea as this will void your warantee, just use it as it is, its a good drive either way,:iagree:[/QUOTE]

scanning is Too slow mate :rolleyes: takes almost 3 mins to scan 500 mb :sad:

Yes, warranty voided whem you open up drive. :iagree:

Anyway, when you wan’t to be 100% sure.

[QUOTE=chief-techie;1916654]wr do i find this mate ?[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard. :iagree: :clap:
You have a BenQ 1650 with 3rd party f/w.
This limits the functions that are available via QSuite.
You can flash to any of the 1650/1655 f/w’s.
What is best depends on your media & what you will use the drive for mainly. (i.e. burning, scanning or ripping.)
BTW. The long button indicates these are likely refurbished retail drives. This shouldn’t mean anything negative.
However it is also remotely possible they were intended for a 3rd party, who has withdrawn in favour of later generation 18x or 20x drives.

[QUOTE=zebadee;1916676]Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard. :iagree: :clap:
You have a BenQ 1650 with 3rd party f/w.
This limits the functions that are available via QSuite.
You can flash to any of the 1650/1655 f/w’s.
What is best depends on your media & what you will use the drive for mainly. (i.e. burning, scanning or ripping.)[/QUOTE]

waiting for u my Friend :clap::clap::clap:

u sure its BenQ 1650 ? can i go ahead Flashing with a Firmware of 1650 ?