Annoying Gaps 4x DVD-R (708a)

vbimport

It seems no matter what media I use, i always get a small gap about ~10 minutes into a DVD movie. Will say successful burn, but when palying the movie back, i get chopy unreadable movie for about 3-5 minutes. I’ve just switched to tayor yuden which many people like, but when @ 4x ill get this gap 75% of the time. I switched hoping that i wouldn’t have to burn at 2x like i did for the memorex media.

Anyone have this problem?
Plextor 708a
Firmware: 1.09
Nero 6 Ultra Enterprise
(Tayo Yuden 4x dvd-r media)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Process:
DVD-Shrink >> Nero Burn
or
DVD Decrypt >> Shrink >> Nero

Burning at 2x works just fine
Burning at 4x the buffer still says 100%

This is a more ‘curiousity’ question, I am able to burn fine if all at 2x, but sometimes I’m impatient

Why not use DVD DECRYPTER to burn? Use DVD SHRINK but instead create a ISO image instead of the VIDEO_TS folders. Or try using IMGTOOL BURN to burn those VIDEO_TS folders instead of NERO. What version of NERO BURN are you using?

Started using Img tool to convert to ISO then Decrypt to burn, had about 4 perfect ones then a gap… but better than nero for the moment

try using just the IMGTOOL BURN to burn those VIDEO_TS folders. here’s the download for it: http://www.coujo.de/ib2/index.php?act=module&module=include&incl_name=download#burn

make sure you choose the correct version to match the version of NERO BURN that you have.

What are the details on your system k3n85? Do you have an optical drive that allows you to perform PI/PO tests on recordable DVD media? Have you tried burning DVD+R media?

Yeah i just burned another with Decrypter (using DVD Shrink >> iso >> decrypt to burn) = 1 perfect, 1 gap

no i havent gotten +R media since i heard they didn’t play well on xbox … didnt want to buy another dvd player for the moment, and didnt want to waste the other 50 dvdr’s

Specs:

P4: 2.8 ht @ 3.08 ghz
2 gigs of ddr 3200
Maxtor SATA 250 gb
Seagate Barricuda : 160 & 40 gb
Plextor 708a w/ 1.09 firm
newest decrypt, nero 6.6, ImgBurn newest

see above for media …

can see this pic for the gap described … seems to skip for like 30 seconds

can see this pic for the gap described … seems to skip for like 30 seconds

It looks like bad dye or the laser of your 708a is going.

Well wouldn’t surprise me, burned a couple hundred, but has been doing really since i can remember @ 4x -r … maybe next batch ill shoot for +r or thinkin about gettin a new 16x burner …

just wierd that it would go fine @ 2x but not 4

thx for all the expertise

That depends completely on which type of DVD-ROM you have in your Xbox. Xbox’es can have three types of DVD-ROMs: Philips, Samsung or Toshiba.

Philips reads DVD+R just fine (have this one myself).
Samsung reads DVD+R but only when booktype is set to DVD-ROM.
Toshiba does not read DVD+R, only DVD-R.

If you have either a Philips drive or a Samsung drive in your Xbox, you can use DVD+R media without problems. Make sure though that your PX-708A drive has its booktype set to DVD-ROM for DVD+R media.

How to identify which type of DVD-ROM your Xbox has:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1152