Announcement: The end of political discussions on Myce

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2724286]As I’ve stated before, I would rather focus on subjects that connect us. There is so much more than politics and religion to discuss![/QUOTE]Agreed. :iagree: I like the idea of us being able to unite as one community by talking about things that (historically) have brought us together. It’s no fun watching people draw lines between themselves and other members over nothingness.

[sort of off topic]
Plus, it seemed there was a greater lack of humor around these parts when we began to have more political issues. Some of the posts in this thread show me that it hasn’t been completely lost yet. :flower:

There was no one more disappointed and frustrated than myself when it became clear that the political forum was not panning out as we hoped it would, but such is life.

I am happy to read that the announcement to remove politics and religious discussion has been taken so well my most of our members, and I totally agree that it is much more productive and fun to discuss subjects that bring us together rather than subjects that were tearing us apart.

I issued one warning during the time that the political forum was active. I’m not a person to hold a grudge, as anyone who really knows me will confirm. With that in mind, I’d like to state here in open forum that as far as I am concerned, the slate is wiped clean, and that warning is trashed.

Let’s start afresh.

One of many lessons in life: it is always worth paying extra attention when a lady says: “… that warning is trashed. Let’s start afresh”. :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2724286] Thanks for posting cholla [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2724286]
I would rather focus on subjects that connect us. There is so much more than politics and religion to discuss! [/QUOTE]

Most of the members including myself do discuss other subjects.

How important religion is to a person & whether it is at the core of who they are depends on how they were brought up. For myself I was brought up with religion being very important. I still hold this to be the case & this influences every aspect of who I am.
I think maybe this is more of am American ideal in that is the main reason people left Europe to come here.
A dangerous voyage at the time & uncertain survival if the made it here. Have you read the " Mayflower Compact" ?
It is just one example of the importance my ancestors placed on religious freedom. Actually my European ancestors came a bit later the earliest I know of arived in the American colonies in 1720. I also have Native American ancestors so my roots run deep here.
I have met younger people (that includes you DoMiN8ToR) that religion is less important to. I have also met that many that hold their religion closer to my views. Whether “there is so much more” depends on who a person is.
I didn’t mean to leave the rest of the world out. I’m sure there are millions of people in other countries that are deeply religious.I just know less about them .So I will let them speak for themselves.

Not that I want to see this type thread removed but holiday is a shortened form of holy day . So any connection to religion makes those a religious post.
In the context of national holiday they instead become political.

On to politics:
I think you will find it difficult to seperate politics from the forum. Every news or other artical about law & judicial decisions are “Political Discussion”. These laws are created by politicians; whether they are elected or in power another way . These laws are enforced by a countries judicial system . Judges are also elected by the people or appointed by politicians. That makes them part of the political process. So anytime a law or decision by the courts on copying movies or songs is posted the discussion is political.
There are even sticky threads that cover copyright & what discussions are considered to violate copyright laws .These laws were passed by politicians. The starting post contains this “violates any laws” .So one more time laws are passed by politicians & therefore political.

I know that is a strict application but it makes a point .

[QUOTE=Dee;2724292] I’m not a person to hold a grudge[/QUOTE]

Sure that you are female???:eek::eek::bigsmile:
If you really are,you’re a rarity,milady…or I picked the wrong specimen many years ago…:confused::confused::bigsmile:

Now about the closing of that forum…I really don’t care…:disagree:
Talking about politics and religion is like walking on thin ice…for some of us it’s just discussion,while other people can get carried away,so you can easily loose good friends with other beliefs…

[QUOTE=Ulenspiegel;2724304]One of many lessons in life: it is always worth paying extra attention when a lady says: “… that warning is trashed. Let’s start afresh”. ;)[/QUOTE]Only time will tell. :bigsmile:

However, I’m no ‘soft touch’ or ‘pushover’. :smiley:

@Roadworker
Yes I’m sure, and I don’t think I’m a rarity among women to not hold a grudge. Of course I see this from a woman’s eyes, and you see the opposite from a man’s eyes. :):p:p

[QUOTE=Dee;2724312] and you see the opposite from a man’s eyes. :):p:p[/QUOTE]

Based on years of Xperience as married man…:iagree:
Sorry if this is not POLITICAL correct…:o:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2724312]
@Roadworker
Yes I’m sure, and I don’t think I’m a rarity among women to not hold a grudge. Of course I see this from a woman’s eyes, and you see the opposite from a man’s eyes. :):p:p[/QUOTE]

But a special lady you are, certainly to us! I’ve now known you for many, many years online and haven’t found a negative side yet! (online that is :wink: )

[QUOTE=Dee;2724312]Only time will tell. :bigsmile:

However, I’m no ‘soft touch’ or ‘pushover’. :D[/QUOTE]

Have been paying extra attention to Dee’s words (and of coursely to her avatar) for 10 years. :wink:

(Off topic: I always admired English idioms or urban language. Have not heard these two expressions for a long time. Read both without turning on my English sensitivity knob and my first impression was a “wow”! Then I started to smile as after few seconds the idioms fell into their proper places according to which “soft touch” does not mean that it is easy to touch the person whenever you like, and “pushover” does not mean that you can push the person over whenever and wherever you like). :bigsmile:

I like MobileRead’s take on the Political/religion section - it is opt-in, with suitable admonition to behave and accept that there are view you may disagree with.

That way, those who want it, have it, and those don’t, or would be offended, have only themselves to blame if they choose to opt-in. Best solution I’ve seen so far, as it satisfies both those who would scream “censorship” and those who would be easily offended

[QUOTE=Dee;2724292]I issued one warning during the time that the political forum was active. I’m not a person to hold a grudge, as anyone who really knows me will confirm. With that in mind, I’d like to state here in open forum that as far as I am concerned, the slate is wiped clean, and that warning is trashed. [/QUOTE]

I had to think about addressing this but since I’m fairly certain this is to me I thought I would.
Since there was no violation of forum rules ( even less chance of that in the former political sub-forum).There would have no reason to have or hold a grudge.
Further there was no flaming or anything close posted.

I think this is correct but I didn’t go back & check every post I’ve ever made on the forum. If admin or staff or any member wants to put in the effort to correct me on what I post below : Go for it.

I have never called a member stupid or ignorant directly. I may have been thinking that & it came out in the context of a post.That’s not exactly the same. Since I rarely use profanity in real life I rarely use it on the forum . I may have at some time if it was in the spirit of what was being posted by various members in a thread.

I do remember one ocassion where I made a comeback that a member had a bad reaction to. That wasn’t my intention & I appoligized within the next couple of posts. That apology wasn’t accepted & the thread decended into flaming.

That being said. I know I sometimes push the forum rules to the limit & past. That will still happen occassionally.

If I feel I’m right about something I will strongly defend my position.That at times will be considered excessive .
What I will do when doing that is remain civil & not decend into name calling. I may even tell a member with an opposing opinion they are wrong .

I also remember answering a technical question one time where the OP used a string of explatives toward me that would make a crow blush . Rather than engaging in a flamewar I reported it. I still have no idea why this was the OP’s response.

[QUOTE=cholla;2724531]
That being said. I know I sometimes push the forum rules to the limit & past. That will still happen occassionally.
[/QUOTE]

Can we make that your job, exclusively to you, please? :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Looks like this unexciting forum is getting even less exciting - fine with me since I am not a regular for apparent reasons!

my2cents