Animated avatars

vbimport

Is there provision for animated avatars in this forum?:slight_smile:

Should be no problem to use a 64x64 animated gif file as an avatar. I know i had one years ago.

Yep, animated GIFs are fine and quite a few members use them. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Mine is animated.The original was made for me with Photoshop.
To make it fit the myce forum I had to separate it with Irfanview .Extract all frames. Do a batch resize .Then I put it back together with Microsoft Gif Animator.

The animated avatar needs to be 48 x 48. Even though the profile picture page mentions 19.5KB as the size limit, 97.7KB appears to be the actual size limit from what I can tell, which is more than enough for plenty of animation. :slight_smile:

If the dimensions are not 48 x 48, it will be resized to fit the 48x48 square.

If either dimension is over 48 pixels, only the first frame will show. Existing animated avatars before the 48x48 restriction came in are not affected, apart from being resized to fit the 48x48 square on the MyCE styles.

I always use the Google Site Test Template.I just like it. My avatar is 64 x 64 with it.
I didn’t know the new myce styles changed the older animated avatars to 48 x 48.
That does chop off part of the capital C in Cholla. Good enough but I may make a 48 x 48 sometime when I have the time & see how it looks. That is I would check it on my computers image veiwer before replacing the old avatar.

cholla wrote,

I always use the Google Site Test Template.I just like it

Same here, :iagree:
Now back to topic at hand…Why would anyone want an animated Avatar?..:D;)

Cholla–

I always use the Google Site Test Template.I just like it. My avatar is 64 x 64 with it.
I didn’t know the new myce styles changed the older animated avatars to 48 x 48.
That does chop off part of the capital C in Cholla. Good enough but I may make a 48 x 48 sometime when I have the time & see how it looks. That is I would check it on my computers image veiwer before replacing the old avatar.
Thank You. That mouse avatar of mine (50x43-Gif-13.9kb) animates in another forum but in this forum as you can see it doesn`t. “Image viewer” is that some other software?:slight_smile:

Unfortunately the dimensions are 2 pixels over size :doh: As I mentioned above, if either dimension is over 48 pixels, this forum will show the first frame only.

If it was 48 x 43, it would animate, so you would need to trim the length by 2 pixels somehow.

If you can post the animated version as an attachment, I can try having a go at resizing it in GIMP. It’s not the best editor for animations, but I’ve edited animated GIF’s in it before. :slight_smile:

Sean–

Unfortunately the dimensions are 2 pixels over size As I mentioned above, if either dimension is over 48 pixels, this forum will show the first frame only.

If it was 48 x 43, it would animate, so you would need to trim the length by 2 pixels somehow.

If you can post the animated version as an attachment, I can try having a go at resizing it in GIMP. It’s not the best editor for animations, but I’ve edited animated GIF’s in it before.
Thank You attached is animated mouse 50x43. I tried to make it 48x43 in the windows resizer but it came out as 50x43. It animates in another forum.:slight_smile:

I’ve cropped the length to 48 pixels and increased the height to 48 pixels in GIMP, so try setting this as your avatar: :slight_smile:

Sean–

I’ve cropped the length to 48 pixels and increased the height to 48 pixels in GIMP, so try setting this as your avatar:
Attached Images

Yes that`s it. Is Gimp easy to use and free??:cool:

[B]That laughing man won`t animate as the avatar[/B]

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2519708]Sean-- Yes that`s it. Is Gimp easy to use and free??:cool:[/QUOTE]
GIMP takes a bit of time to learn to use effectively, but once you get the hang of it, it’s the next best thing to Photoshop and I use it for pretty much all my photo editing. Yes, it’s free (link) and so with the updates. :smiley: I avoided Photoshop not just because of the price, but also for their unfair pricing in Europe (nearly double their US pricing) and costly upgrades. No so with GIMP. :disagree:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2519708][B]That laughing man won`t animate as the avatar[/B][/QUOTE]

This one will: :iagree:

Resized from 50 x 50 to 48 x 48.

Sean–

Sean–[QUOTE]GIMP takes a bit of time to learn to use effectively, but once you get the hang of it, it’s the next best thing to Photoshop and I use it for pretty much all my photo editing. Yes, it’s free (link) and so with the updates. I avoided Photoshop not just because of the price, but also for their unfair pricing in Europe (nearly double their US pricing) and costly upgrades. No so with GIMP.

Thank You for your help. I downloaded Gimp and am trying it out. Could you check me to see if i`m on the right track please? I did it as follows>File>open.selected image>scale image>save as>export save as animation>export>save as gif.(attachment) My present avatar (attached) is 46x48. Can it be made larger and still animate?

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2519695] “Image viewer” is that some other software?:)[/QUOTE]
No an "image veiwer is the software you use to veiw images.Windows Photo Gallery for example. I like Irfanveiw better because it usually displays the .gif as animated where Windows Photo Gallery doesn’t.
I looked over GIMP at one time but really didn’t try to learn how to use it.

On your latest avatar you could change it to 48 x 48 & it will still animate but the very minor size difference isn’t worth the effort.

Cholla–

Cholla–[QUOTE]No an "image veiwer is the software you use to veiw images.Windows Photo Gallery for example. I like Irfanveiw better because it usually displays the .gif as animated where Windows Photo Gallery doesn’t.
I looked over GIMP at one time but really didn’t try to learn how to use it.

On your latest avatar you could change it to 48 x 48 & it will still animate but the very minor size difference isn’t worth the effort
Thanks. I looked at Irfanview but it looked a bit complicated to me. Gimp at the moment seems simpler but im not sure whether im taking the right steps to get an animated avatar. My post no. 14 explains what i`m doing. Could you have a look and let me know?:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2519739]Sean-- Thank You for your help. I downloaded Gimp and am trying it out. Could you check me to see if i`m on the right track please? I did it as follows>File>open.selected image>scale image>save as>export save as animation>export>save as gif.(attachment) My present avatar (attached) is 46x48. Can it be made larger and still animate?[/QUOTE]

That’s pretty much how I did it for the laughing man. :slight_smile:

For an image under 48 x 48, you go into Image menu -> Canvas Size, click the link icon beside the Width/Height fields and set both to 48 x 48. Then click the ‘Center’ button to centre it in the frame and click ‘Resize’. Finally, save it as an animation exported as a GIF.

It would be really nice if this forum’s developers kept the original and more common 64 x 64 avatar size, as most animated avatars have a height/width of between 50 and 64 pixels as you’ve noticed.

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2519753]Thanks. I looked at Irfanview but it looked a bit complicated to me. Gimp at the moment seems simpler but im not sure whether im taking the right steps to get an animated avatar. My post no. 14 explains what i`m doing. Could you have a look and let me know?[/QUOTE]

This is a guide for working with Irfanview & animated .gifs .

Irfanview requires a second program to reanimate the .gif.
The Guide uses UnFreeze which is also freeware.I haven’t used it.
I use Microsoft GIF Animator. It looks like they do about the same thing.
GIMP may do this in a simpler way. I just haven’t taken the time to install GIMP & learn to use it. I’ve seen some interesting signatures created with GIMP.
Maybe Seán can tell us if GIMP will extract all the files of a .gif like Irfanview does. That can be a nice feature if you want to double up on one of the images in a .gif.

Sean–

That’s pretty much how I did it for the laughing man.

For an image under 48 x 48, you go into Image menu -> Canvas Size, click the link icon beside the Width/Height fields and set both to 48 x 48. Then click the ‘Center’ button to centre it in the frame and click ‘Resize’. Finally, save it as an animation exported as a GIF.

It would be really nice if this forum’s developers kept the original and more common 64 x 64 avatar size, as most animated avatars have a height/width of between 50 and 64 pixels as you’ve noticed.

Thank You for that assistance. So far ive got "Gimp" worked out for avatars. Its like you said 48x48 seems to be it for this forum. It wouldn`t be a concern if avatars were a little bigger. I tried 65x65 and 50x50 but no go…:iagree:

[QUOTE=cholla;2519795]Maybe Seán can tell us if GIMP will extract all the files of a .gif like Irfanview does. That can be a nice feature if you want to double up on one of the images in a .gif.[/QUOTE]

With the GIMP Animation Package plug-in (also freeware), this is simple enough. Just open the animation in GIMP, go into the Video menu and select “Split Image to Frames” and then specify a filename ending in ‘.gif’. It will then create a sequence of files.

The reverse is also possible by selecting “Frames to Image” from the video menu, where it opens a sequence of images as an animation. :slight_smile: