Android Internal Memory Storage

vbimport

How can I get more internal storage to download apps? Thanks

What is your phone model? The way the internal memory is partitioned varies between brands and models, so what frees up internal memory for apps on one phone will probably not work on another phone.

I assume you already tried the usual measures such as removing apps you no longer use, otherwise that’s a good starting point. :wink:

The next step is to go through your apps and take note of any preinstalled Apps you don’t use, such as free trial games, etc. that cannot be uninstalled. For example, my last HTC phone had Facebook, Twitter and 7Digital, which I never use.

Go into your app settings, which is usually in the Settings menu -> Apps, then scroll right until you are in the ‘All’ apps listing.

Find the first app you don’t use and go into it. Touch the following buttons and ‘OK’ each: ‘Force stop’, ‘Disable’, ‘Uninstall updates’, ‘Clear data’, ‘Clear cache’. Then repeat this process for the rest.

On my last HTC phone, I freed up around 500MB simply disabling and uninstalling the preinstalled app updates and clearing their data.

This method is also a handy way of freeing up RAM, as some preinstalled apps such as Facebook run in the background even if not being used, let alone signed into.

That depends on which phone you have.
Some Android phones support Micro SD cards, which allows you expand the memory. Some apps won’t allow you to store them on the SD card, but you can move all your pictures and music to the SD card, thus freeing up the phones internal flash memory.

I know Samsung phones support SD cards.

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2745247]How can I get more internal storage to download apps? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well, inorder to get more internal storage you need to first free up your internal storage and the easy way to do that is purchase and SD card put it inside the device and move all the music, pictures and other files and folders over to the Sd card also if possible try moving the applications to the SD card too ! And what more you can do to free up your internal storage is clearing temporary files stored over the device. For that better option would be installing junk cleaner apps like CCleaner, duBooster… or similar type of apps over to your device and one more thing you can also clear the dump stat logcat file by tapping *#9900# over the dialer and select the 2nod option i.e. Delete DumpStat/Logcat ! I hope that this has freed up pretty much more of the storage available and still if you are looking for more internal storage then man I would say get a new device with larger internal memory and give you old phone to me I’d happy in using the storage which I have managed to freed up ! :bigsmile:

See if this help ! And if ever you feel like throwing your device just let me know over here I’ll throw it for you ! :bow:

I agree with the replies above. I want to add one more point: To really make a big change, you will have to root your phone and remove bloatware apps which consume a large amount of memory. You can also install custom light firmware (ROM’s) for your device which can free up your internal storage.

Rooting is pretty critical if you really want to tweak it to its best performance and available memory.
Some phones are easy to root, some get unrooted and made hard or impossible to root after a update. My Samsung S3 I just use as it came, keep a 16 gig micro SD card in it, and have a few apps I like and crap disabled or uninstalled. I mostly use it as a phone, and GPS anyways, and occasionally search for something or watch a you tube video.
My tablet here, and my brand new Andriod media player are both rooted and have custom user designed firmware that debloats them, makes em faster, and adds features.
I still go through and uninstall and disable stuff I dont use, like useless phone based apps that don’t apply to their use.
My new media player has a memory slot but for now I only have a 1 gig card in it to put the best custom ROM for it and I was finding a good samba share app that plays well with win7 and works with a wired network.
Samba droid works and costs 2.09 if you want the multi share/user version, or free if you just need a single share version, great if you just need to read the internal memory and see it on your windows network PC and move stuff back and forth.
Me I have 2 big USB drives hooked to it so needed the pro version though there are other free options that will work depending on your setup, like WiFi only, and like that.
Do your research and find out what’s best for your phone and needs.

[QUOTE=dreadfulishan;2746842]I agree with the replies above. I want to add one more point: To really make a big change, you will have to root your phone and remove bloatware apps which consume a large amount of memory. You can also install custom light firmware (ROM’s) for your device which can free up your internal storage.[/QUOTE]

Now the question arises over here’s where will I get those custom light firmware you are talking about ??? :iagree:

Using this method, you can release a number of additional apps to be moved to SD / Internal storage.
Most devices have additional built-in storage that is not part of the limited app space.

Do not move:
Your launcher
Anything providing a widget
Antivirus
Play Services (if used)

Some things will still not be moveable, even with the tweak.