And good luck posting more about this highly illegal matter

vbimport

I just read the .cab files thread and I don’t really understand why this thread has been closed :

and good luck posting more about this highly illegal matter.

I agree that it is illegal to download or modify any piece of software but it is not possible to create perfect 1:1 copy all the times :

• Due to cd reader/writer performances
  • Due to last copy protection generation
    Securom 4.8
    Starforce ?

What has at the moment to be done is :

• Modify Cd backup compare to the original by the duplication of some sectors (Blindwrite or Clonecd + a tool)
  • Generate a backup which contains DPM data (ALCOHOL120%)
  • If you don’t use CLONECD or BLINDWRITE or ALCOHOL120% how can you generate your 1:1 backup : I don’t thnk that ROXIO will help !!!) without modifying file int the backup ?

In all these cases the backup is not exactly as the original (you ca also add safedisc 2.8 backups done by clonecd or alcohol120% (not for the same reasons)) .

So limit the boarding rules to not allow to modify a file in the cd seems in my point of view not very clear .

Thanks for Moderator reply (or others)

Olivier

Originally posted by OlivierFromFran
So limit the boarding rules to not allow to modify a file in the cd seems in my point of view not very clear .

Modifying a file involves changing the program (copyright) and therefore illegal.

Modifying the way in which the program is written to a cd or the type of media used without modifying the program itself is not (as the cd itself is not copyright, only the program, music or movie recorded upon it is copyright).

definitely not a general software question. please remember where you are posting :wink:

i agree with philamber. i’m sure that modifying the game in that manner is a violation of the EULA. however, there’s nothing against making a working backup that leaves the game in its original state.

Thanks for your replies so what are we going to do if a compagny succeed in copyright the whole cd !!!

For example, in my point of view, it should be easy to pretend that weak sectors are part of the software delivery and in the event that they are modified that it causes a violation like for example if you extract a piece of text from a book, modify it a little (cut some parts) and use in later without the author authorisation .

I hope it will not happened !!!

definitely not a general software question. please remember where you are posting

Yes you are right, in fact I decided to put this message in this forum because the post where I extracted the remark was in this forum !

Olivier

Originally posted by OlivierFromFran
Thanks for your replies so what are we going to do if a compagny succeed in copyright the whole cd !!!

This will likely never ever happen. The CD technology is a product of Sony and Royal Philips who both have held the patent for 20 years. The technology is still the intellectual property of both companies and will be so till they are both gone from the planet.

Naturally some companies can license others to use it and there are a LOT of people who abuse it (I.E. Most copy protections are illegal themselves because they do not uphold the red book standard and therefore the media it has been setup on is not a data cd-rom , although it sure looks like one :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ) , but in the end i sincerely doubt either Philips or Sony will just give away their intellectual property to some company.

And even if they do , then not all is lost.

Let me remind you of the .GIF case. In this case ,the graphical compression algorithm known as the GIF89A (i think) standard is the complete copyright of CompuServe and they have had many succesful lawsuits about graphical programs trying to implement it without paying them royalties , but in general … the world had already been flooded with .Gif files before they could sue everyone. And who needs Gif now when you have JPeG and PNG for starters ? :slight_smile:

Cd-Rom is becoming passe … it’s DVD now … and guess who holds the patents ?