Analyst: no 3D Super Bowl a 'lost opportunity'

vbimport

Analyst: no 3D Super Bowl a ‘lost opportunity’.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/02/Vkqq0E.jpg[/newsimage]More consumers are buying what 3DTV makers are selling, but according to an NPD Group analyst this Sunday's 2D-only Super Bowl XLVI is a mistake that could sack early 2012 sales of the device.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/analyst-no-3d-super-bowl-a-lost-opportunity-58313/](http://www.myce.com/news/analyst-no-3d-super-bowl-a-lost-opportunity-58313/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Most people usually watch the superbowl at parties with many people. You can’t watch the superbowl in 3d with only a couple of glasses.

I’d be willing to bet that the increase in 3D display sales has more to do with the lack of 1080p 2D only sets and less to do with people actually wanting 3D sets…

[QUOTE=MerlinWerks;2621433]I’d be willing to bet that the increase in 3D display sales has more to do with the lack of 1080p 2D only sets and less to do with people actually wanting 3D sets…[/QUOTE]
Exactly. That’s almost all you can buy anymore, so of course, more people are buying 3d - they’re just buying a TV.

As 3d tech becomes cheaper it’ll probably be included in all tv’s (as reference here already, most tv’s now include it already).

The question is how many people will actually use the feature? I bought my tv before the whole 3d thing. I have no desire to upgrade just for 3d. if my tv dies and I have to replace it, I can see myself trying it out on a few movies… but not a big deal overall.

It’s amazing how many of these so called Analyst are out of touch with the real world…

The glasses are silly… 3D is just a gimmick.

[QUOTE=MerlinWerks;2621433]I’d be willing to bet that the increase in 3D display sales has more to do with the lack of 1080p 2D only sets and less to do with people actually wanting 3D sets…[/QUOTE]

Same thought here. E.g. those looking to buy a good set will often pay for a higher model up thinking they will be getting a better panel, colour reproduction or faster frame rate, without realising that they are just paying a premium for 3D that they will never use. :doh:

It’s similar to DVD recorder sales a few years ago. Many people bought a DVD recorder thinking they are buying a better DVD player, since the other players look so cheap in comparison, even though most will probably never record a single disc.

Although to be fair when HD was in its early years, I remember everyone saying it was a gimmick as well. Now it seems to be really catching on.

So even though I’m not nearly as enthusiastic about 3d as I was for HD, maybe for the 3d enthusiasts out there, there’s still hope (but not much as long as you have to wear glasses)

I still think the analyst had a good point here. A big promotion and push for watching the Superbowl in 3D could’ve definitely boosted 3D HDTV sales. Many of the bigger sporting events, like the World Cup, were responsible for spikes in HDTV sales when HD was first being adopted.

I never thought HD was a gimmick, although I was rooting for HD DVD. I don’t think 3D is a gimmick, either. I would LOVE to see 3D movies without the glasses (a-la chess game from Star Wars). The glasses are the gimmick and the source of the headaches most people get afterwards. When 2020 rolls around, I have no doubt I’ll be putting out $1500 on a 50" TRUE-3D (glasses-less) television set from Costco. Can’t wait. Until then, my wallet is tighter than a frog’s bumhole.