An unexpected trip

Seems I might, (emphasize, might) get the opportunity to fly up to see the Texas-West Virginia college football game. I’m not a great fan of either team, but my best friend is a die-hard Texas supporter and his wife may not get to go on this trip and he’s asked me to come along if she absolutely can’t make it.

One problem has occurred to me. November in West Virgina is not particularly pleasant. And I don’t have much in the way of cold weather gear. Edit: Avg high temp should be mid 50’s (F), but knowing my luck, we’ll get a cold front pushing through that weekend.

Sweaters I have, yes, and a water/wind proof jacket or two, but layering for the lower half is an issue. What would you advise for several hours of sitting in cold weather? Yes, I know, its not Arctic conditions, but remember…a Texan in cool weather is like a Minnesotan in 40 below.

Specific types of pants…possibly insulated?..would be welcomed. Polypropelyne first layer? Silk?
Wool cap…possibly. What type of gloves?

Any help appreciated.

Dunno how cold it gets in West Virginia, but I guess it wont be much colder than Scotland in winter.
Wool hat and gloves is a good start.
A pair of thermal socks, knee length if possible.
Three layers for the upper body, maybe a t-shirt, then a normal shirt, and wool sweater.
Then add a water proof jacket, or better still, a coat.

You’re going There and Back Again on An Unexpected Journey?

Maybe something like this? :smiley:

Just add some insulated or thermal underware . The long type but only the bottoms.
Full long john are a PIA literally.
Then some good thick socks. Some call them thermal socks . They usually have quite a bit of wool in the blend.

If that doesn’t seem like what you want. A good pair of mechanics insulated coveralls will keep you pretty warm

A wool or some other knitted cap is nice too.

Add one of those “emergency” ponchos to the mix just in case.

Thanks for the help so far.

Drage…dragons in the mountains of W. Virginia is news to me, and I’ll be rethinking this little adventure if so! I haven’t an ounce of Took blood in me. :slight_smile:

I can tell you absolutely that you will not see a Dragon in West Virginia

I cannot offer the same promise about Orcs or Goblins

Kerry you’ve never been north?If I was you I’d get me a nice down coat and some flannel pants,and maybe some hiking boots and heavy socks.you can always take stuff off but if you don’t have it to put on , a real bummer.
But you know jumping around to keep warm is good exercise.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2704787]I can tell you absolutely that you will not see a Dragon in West Virginia

I cannot offer the same promise about Orcs or Goblins[/QUOTE]

A couple of things came in handy when I watched the Bears-Packers game at Soldier Field in December, as well as football games in HS during the November month:

Footwear-Something solid like a hiking boot or insulated work boot. The added benefit of a work boot is that the ceramic or steel cap in the toe means that if people step on you it won’t hurt. And if someone annoys you enough you can shove it up their &*$%.

Socks-Cotton inner layer to wick moisture away, wool as the outer layer for warmth.

Pants-You could try a pair of long johns underneath jeans. If you have skiing pants you could wear those over jeans. And if you have waterproof pants as part of a suit then that would provide some additional protection and insulation. Or you could opt for sweat pants and jeans as two layers.

Shirt/Torso-Cotton T shirt, flannel shirt with long sleeves, and a sweater. If you really think you’ll get cold you could add a turtleneck sweater(with the added benefit of keeping your throat warm).

Head/neck-Wool hat if you have one. A scarf might come in handy. Ear muffs are nice to keep the ears nice and toasty.

Gloves-Something waterproof and with a insulated fill

Jacket-40 is a bit warm for a down filled jacket. A nice waterproof jacket with good insulation would probably provide enough warmth without roasting you. You can always throw in a insulated thermal jacket/hoodie if you are worried.

Additionally, you probably want to bring something to shield you from the cold aluminum bleachers like a blanket. A sleeping bag when unzipped can provide additional warmth for you and your friends. And a rain poncho, just in case.

Also, you probably want to take some Levacor with you just in case you guys visit Biscuit World.

I can tell you that steel toed work boots are not what you want.
I have worn them at work in the cold(way back). The steel transfers the cold.

A couple of pocket hand warmers are also good.
The “emergency” type rain poncho is very small to carry.
You use it only if you need it.
Unless you are really cold natured the waffle type pants part of Hanes thermal underware Walmart has should be enough with jeans.
If you have on too much you will sweat & that will make you colder.

The idea of a blanket of cushion to insulate you from the bleachers is a good one.

Or a pair of these just wear over your clothes. You won’t even need a coat.
http://www.sears.com/walls-industries-walls-men-s-blizzard-pruf-men-s-premium/p-SPM7121812808?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

[QUOTE=cholla;2704793]I can tell you that steel toed work boots are not what you want.
I have worn them at work in the cold(way back). The steel transfers the cold.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t happen to me but my boots had insulation on the inside and I wore thick wool socks over cotton tube socks. I’m not sure they even sell steel toed work boots anymore due to safety issues. Last time I had to get ceramic toed shoes, which work just as well for me.

Those chemical warmers can be nice, but depending on how warm they get they can cause burns if held too long in thin skinned places.

i say …thanks but no thanks…stay home watch it on tv :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2704794]Didn’t happen to me but my boots had insulation on the inside and I wore thick wool socks over cotton tube socks. I’m not sure they even sell steel toed work boots anymore due to safety issues. Last time I had to get ceramic toed shoes, which work just as well for me.

Those chemical warmers can be nice, but depending on how warm they get they can cause burns if held too long in thin skinned places.[/QUOTE]
No problem finding steel toes & they meet safety standards. That’s what they’re for. I wore the pair i had till they wore out . They even saved some of my toes one time or I give them credit for that.
I sometimes wore an extra pair of socks & it helped. Mine also weren’t insulated or lightly if any. Still after a couple of hours outside at temps below 15° F the cold just seemed to come through.
I guess the chemical heaters can cause burns. I always just put them in a coat pocket & didn’t have a problem.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Irish-Setter-Gram-Steel-Toe-Logger-Work-Boots/1324989.uts?productVariantId=3082666&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03360582&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=0997E332-6F6C-E111-88CA-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640496351&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=57898821191&gclid=CJS55sGLnboCFTFo7Aod4lMAFA

Two words: Panty Hose. OK, maybe it’s only one word pantyhose? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantyhose_for_men#Rationale

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;2704795]i say …thanks but no thanks…stay home watch it on tv :)[/QUOTE]

The best part about West Virginia is leaving it.

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;2704795]i say …thanks but no thanks…stay home watch it on tv :)[/QUOTE]

Nah the atmosphere at a live game is unbelievable. :disagree:

We went to an NFL game last year in the USA and we’re heading over to London next week to see the Jaguars vs. the 49ers on the strength of how much we enjoyed that.

It’ll be interesting to see how it compares.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I see the titans play often

Mid 50’s Kerry, That’s still T-Shirt weather for this Canadian. :bigsmile:

:cool::cool:

^Just planning ahead in case of nasty weather moving through. :slight_smile:

If it is mild weather, I don’t think there will be a problem with my current wardrobe, but if its considerably colder, I’ll have to augment with a few items, mostly layering stuff I think and considerably warmer socks than I have now.

I just got to rib ya a bit. You could probably rib me about the hotter temperatures. :slight_smile:

:cool::cool: