An SSD in a USB 3.0 Enclosure

vbimport

Some of you might think I’m crazy, but I just tested out putting an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure with some (at least for now) encouraging results. It definitely puts all the USB keys I have to shame …

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else thought they’d want to try doing the same.

That’s a very nice review, [B]lui gough[/B]. :clap::clap:
UASP mode makes a big difference to performance, as does the USB3 interface you’re testing on.

Here is a UASP enabled HDD dock with an Intel 520 SSD (Sandforce), running on Intel Z77 chipset under Windows 8.

@Dee - [B]wow.[/B] That’s approaching native speeds over USB. It’s a bit of a shame it’s not obvious which bridges support UASP and which don’t. I’m in the process of getting some more modern USB 3.0 systems up and running, but at the price I paid for my enclosure, I wasn’t expecting any miracles! ($16.50 AUD is about the same in USD, considering it was a bricks and mortar store, it was a good deal)

Would you happen to know what chipset was in your USB docking station by any chance? I’m just firing up a B75-based board with USB 3.0 on it, but I doubt the difference will be much.

Its an Asmedia ASM5051E.
The HDD dock is an Thermaltake BlacX 5G ST0019[B]U[/B]
Note the “U” in the model number as its the only model that supports UASP. Only available in the USA (I had to import mine).
They have a new model (BlacX 5G Snow edition) which will be available world wide, which also supports UASP, but I haven’t found one available, yet.

Also note. You only get UASP support on Intel native USB3 with Windows 8.