An old guy wants to learn to copy DVDs

Hi!

I’m an disabled senior trying to scrape by on a very small Social Security pension.

I’m disabled by chronic health problems that are still not very well understood by modern medicine, so there’s no effective treatment except to spend a lot of time resting in bed. I live alone so, as you can probably imagine, I spend a lot of time watching movies!

A fellow I met online built me a computer with a DVD burner in it and gave it to me for Christmas. I never ceased to be amazed at the kindness and generosity of my family, friends, acquiantances and even total strangers from the internet!

So now I’m learning how to back-up my small collection of DVD movies.

I’m using DVDdecrypter and Nero 7.

What I’d like to do is make back-up copies that don’t have all the junk at the beginning – you know, the previews, the promos, the animated logos for the distributers, the cheesy music on the opening menus, and even the opening menus.

Ideally I’d like to be able to make a disk that just has the movie, configured the way I want to watch it, so it would just play when I pop it into the DVD player. (BTW my DVD player and TV are also gifts, the player from a former neighbor, and the TV from a stranger online).

Is it possible to make DVDs like that?

Hi Clueless in Seattle and Welcome:

Here is a thread that I participated in (along with many other long-term members). One update to your post is that DVDdecryptor is no longer current. However, the thread I gave you will get you started.

As you’re on a pension, part of the thread higlights [U]free [/U]options so you’re good to go. In addition. Slysoft will soon charge an annual update fee for their products.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/how-backup-movie-dvds-258610/

The thread jeff53404 linked to has links to two other threads on this subject, so you should look through them, especially Beef Barley’s detailed instructions on using DVDFab and DVDShrink.

Short answer: Get DVDFab HD Decrypter, which is the free section of DVDFab. It will continue to function even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires. Use this to rip the main movie to the hard drive.
Second tool is DVDShrink…used to compress movies to fit onto a regular single layer dvd recordable disk.
Third tool is ImgBurn. All are free to use.

There are links to all of these tools in the other threads. There are also more guides for using them in various other places, like our Copy Movie forum guides: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/

Let us know if you need more help.

I would suggest this one

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me

It is an old one and not updated any more, but is free and still can do about 99% of DVDs today.
Together with shrink, good combination for you.

Bumped :wink:

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2198973]Hi!

I’m an disabled senior trying to scrape by on a very small Social Security pension.

I’m disabled by chronic health problems that are still not very well understood by modern medicine, so there’s no effective treatment except to spend a lot of time resting in bed. I live alone so, as you can probably imagine, I spend a lot of time watching movies!

A fellow I met online built me a computer with a DVD burner in it and gave it to me for Christmas. I never ceased to be amazed at the kindness and generosity of my family, friends, acquiantances and even total strangers from the internet!

So now I’m learning how to back-up my small collection of DVD movies.

[B]I’m using DVDdecrypter and Nero 7[/B].

What I’d like to do is make back-up copies that don’t have all the junk at the beginning – you know, the previews, the promos, the animated logos for the distributers, the cheesy music on the opening menus, and even the opening menus.
[/QUOTE]
There have been many good suggestions, but if your collection is older, Decrypter may still work. You could then load the ripped files into Nero Recode choosing ‘Recode main movie to DVD’. Recode’s output can be quite good.