An Idiots Guide to backing up your firmware

vbimport

Here’s an Idiot’s Way of Dumping your current firmware from your drive:

Well here’s how I did it using WinXP Pro :wink:

1. You must have one floppy disc which have been formatted with the FAT filing system

2. Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Dr Dos v7.x boot disc setup file:

http://ftp.sanguine.jp/pub/sahughes/utils/dos/drdflash.exe

1. Once downloaded double click on the setup file and insert the floppy disc to copy the files across. You will find you have two files now on the disc.

2. Copy over a copy of the Dangerous Brothers DOS based flashing utility at:

http://tdb.rpc1.org

1. Extract this file and put it on your floppy, you should now have 3 files on the disc!!!

2. Restart the pc and boot up with the floppy disc

3. Once you have reached the command prompt ie A:\

4. Type in the following (This is assuming you have the NEC 2500a set as Master on the Secondary IDE with no other drive attached) :

A:
ec2x00a.exe -sec -mas -out (file name, you could use ORIGINAL) .bin

1. The PC will start to read from the floppy and will initiate several commands to retrieve your firmware informing you of it’s completion in percentages.

2. Your firmware should now be dumped to the floppy alongside the other files that you added.

3. Restart your PC.

Hope this helps some new owners of this drive, REMEMBER this is really important to do before attempting any firmware updates, well you might have to return your drive at some point!

Lastly I would like to thank the members who helped me along this path and hope it’s okay to post the links to the files and the program from the Dangerous Brothers site:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/

Please note that I am a member of this Board and not a MOD so if you follow the instructions above you do so at your own risk

Hope that’s covered everything!

Alternatively you could create a folder on your hard disk drive (assuming it’s C:) as NEC2500, which must contain the Dangerous Brothers program, here again:

http://tdb.rpc1.org

1. Follow step numbers 1, 2, 3, (IGNORE 4), 5 and 6.

2. Now that you have reached the command prompt a:\

Type in:

c:

1. To return to the command prompt and then type in:

C:\2500
ec2x00a.exe -sec -mas -out necstock106.BIN

This will go through the same process and dump your firmware on your hard disk drive.

1. Once this is completed restart your PC

Thanks Wes for the input!!!

If your operating system is Windows 9x another alternate for the hard drive method for 98 users would be to boot to safe mode command prompt only and not mess with a boot floppy.

1. Create a folder on yoiur hard disk with the folder nec2500

2. Include in the folder the flashing program

3. Restart your pc and boot into safe mode

4. Once again at the command prompt type in:

Thanks dentman for your input!

chrome

I recommend writing BIN files to and from a harddrive rather than a Floppy disc to reduce the risk of file corruption.

Wes, can you just post what the command is to write to the hard drive and I will amend my post to include this.

Lastly is it useful to post the steps to update the firmware with the same flashing program?

chrome

It uses the same commands, you just need to place nec2x00a.exe on your harddrive.
For example, if you place the .exe in your C:\2500\ directory, it would look like this:

I WISH You had of Put this in a Thread 2 weeks ago, I might have done things Better than I have…Did Not Dump mine (as U call it)I do learn the Hard Way!!..
Thanks for doing this now…For Future Reference, Make it a STICKY PLEASE…Take Care…

Are there any EEPROM read/write tools like we have for the Lite On? (Or does the NEC keep this data in the firmware the way the new revision 52327 does?)

Hmm…I see a problem with step 4 - you say to copy nec2x00a.zip to the boot floppy. This will be pretty tough to execute after booting from the disk. It would work better if the .exe were extracted from the .zip and copied to the boot floppy. In fact, as written, the command line given will result in Bad command or filename. :slight_smile:

Another alternate for the hard drive method for 98 users would be to boot to safe mode command prompt only and not mess with a boot floppy.

Thanks for the input, as you can see I’m editing my post as soon as someone points out any mistakes I’ve made!!

Mr Scary if you can add something more to this, I would be happy to continue to re-edit until it covers the ground.

chrome

Found a typo. In the hard drive method:
Type in:

c:\

Would result in an error. Leave off the backslash to change drives (just type “c:”).

Thanks, changed it now!

chrome

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]It uses the same commands, you just need to place nec2x00a.exe on your harddrive.
For example, if you place the .exe in your C:\2500\ directory, it would look like this:

ec2x00a.exe -sec -mas -out necstock106.BIN [/B]

OK, try now…

1. Your firmware should now be dumped to the floppy alongside the other files that you added.

I cannot find where it dump the backup files???

Nice guide. To make it even more foolproof you might want to consider adding commandline examples for those cases where the drive is connected differently:

Primary master
nec2x00a.exe -pri -mas -out filename.bin

Primary slave
nec2x00a.exe -pri -sla -out filename.bin

Secondary master
nec2x00a.exe -sec -mas -out filename.bin

Secondary slave
nec2x00a.exe -sec -sla -out filename.bin

Hell, maybe a few batfiles wouldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

---------------- BACKUP.BAT ---------------------
[b]@ECHO OFF

if 1%1 == 1 goto end
if 1%1 == 11 goto primast
if 1%1 == 12 goto prislave
if 1%1 == 13 goto secmast
if 1%1 == 14 goto secslave
goto end

:primast
ECHO Primary master
NEC2X00A.EXE -pri -mas -out %2
goto end

:prislave
ECHO Primary slave
NEC2X00A.EXE -pri -sla -out %2
goto end

:secmast
ECHO Secondary master
NEC2X00A.EXE -sec -mas -out %2
goto end

:secslave
ECHO Secondary slave
NEC2X00A.EXE -sec -sla -out %2
goto end

:end[/b]

Now to backup your current firmware just use

BACKUP {1-4} filename.bin

where 1-4 indicates the location of the drive
1 = pri. master
2 = pri. slave
3 = sec master
4 = sec. slave

And now the batfile to upload a new firmware

---------------- UPDATE.BAT ---------------------
[b]@ECHO OFF

if 1%1 == 1 goto end
if 1%1 == 11 goto primast
if 1%1 == 12 goto prislave
if 1%1 == 13 goto secmast
if 1%1 == 14 goto secslave
goto end

:primast
NEC2X00A.EXE -pri -mas -flash %2
goto end

:prislave
NEC2X00A.EXE -pri -sla -flash %2
goto end

:secmast
NEC2X00A.EXE -sec -mas -flash %2
goto end

:secslave
NEC2X00A.EXE -sec -sla -flash %2
goto end

:end[/b]

Now to upload a new firmware use

UPDATE {1-4} filename.bin

where 1-4 indicates the location of the drive
1 = pri. master
2 = pri. slave
3 = sec master
4 = sec. slave

Feel free to include in you guide if you please. You might even consider making the batfiles available for download.

For all of those who forgot to backup their v1.06 stock firmware a link to this file might be handy. Feel free to use this one if you please.

Cheers,
Peter

actually my typing mistake while backing up the firmware. After few try. Done… Thanks for the useful info. Pls make this topik sticky…

it took me awhile but i finally found out (i must be an idiot)… i didnt realiaze there were two commands, out and flash…

QUESTION: I thought I heard someone say you have to flash back to the original before you flash to a new beta… and that you cant flash from one beta to the next. Is this true in dos, or just for windows flasher, or not at all?

THANKS THOUGH, wouldnt know what to do with out this!:bow:

Originally posted by raulinigo
QUESTION: I thought I heard someone say you have to flash back to the original before you flash to a new beta… and that you cant flash from one beta to the next. Is this true in dos, or just for windows flasher, or not at all?

Nope, there are no problems flashing in Windows to the newer beta versions now. The issue you are referring to occured during the 1st 2 beta firmwares, but has since been resolved.

This should be apparent to most experienced users, but thought I’d point it out anyway. It is not possible to access NTFS partitions using most standard boot disks, including the one created by the Dr Dos utility. Hence, you would have to stick with the floppy backup option or at least save the flash program in a FAT partition and access it from there.

http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/#BOOTISO

How do I know if I have the NEC 2500a set as Master on the Secondary IDE and what would it be called if I have another drive? I have an external burner and the drive for it is F. Thanks.

To find out the status of your Drive (NEc ND-2500) click and open Nero Toolkit, click on Nero info tool and click on configuration, here you can find the status of your drive whether is in “Master Primary, or Slave Primary, Master Secondry or Slave Secondry”. Your external drive is in USB position also.

I use Binflash!