An idiot needs help installing the 3520

vbimport

So, I decided to replace my SCSI Plextor 8x CD burner with the NEC 3520a, and decided to try to install it myself. I’m not very good with hardware.

I took out the old drive and removed the SCSI ribbon cable.

Then, I put in the 3520.

Then I attached connected the 3520 to the same same ribbon cable that goes to the CD/DVD player that came with the computer.

Now, neither the 3520 nor the drive that came with the computer are showing up.

I went into Control Panel and did Add New Hardware. It found neither drive.

(I’m using a Dell 8200 with XP, and plenty of memory, etc.)

What did I do wrong? I’m sure it’s something basic.

Thank you.

do you have 2 drives connected to the same cable?

Check the jumpers on the back of both drivers. One needs to be set to master and the other to slave. When you have them both set to the same you could lose both drivers, like you have. :slight_smile:

Yes they’re both on the same cable. Is that okay?

The Dell jumper is set at the leftmost position and the NEC jumper at the rightmost position. There are three positions for the jumper. Any idea where the NEC jumper should be put? I did look at the NEC site, but they have NOTHING about the 3520. Thanks again. (By the way, great Lincoln quote.)

Having both on the same cable is Ok, but one must be jumpered Master and the other Slave (equivalent to SCSI ID 0 & 1).

If the current drive is jumpered Cable Select (CS) then so should the other.

Brother Vlad

I would make the NEC Drive “Master”, which is the right hand set of pins if your facing the back of the drive, (there is a jumper diagram on the sticker on the top of the drive). On most drives the left most pins are for “Cable Select” I would try setting the other drive to “Slave” by selecting the middle set of pins.

Master is the left hand set of pins when facing the back of the drive. Right is cable select…

There should be a small diagram on both drives explaining the pin layout for the jumper settings, set the NEC to master and the other to slave, I wouldn’t use cable select (CS) not if you want a reliable DVD burner.

Master is the left hand set of pins when facing the back of the drive. Right is cable select…

Not on the 3520a I’m holding in my hand…

I have 3 Dells and they all came with CS. Changed those to master & slave the first day and then bought a second IDE round cable and put both drives on separate channels. Since I have a SATA HD that was possible. I have been very pleased with Dell. After building many computers, I could no longer buy the parts for what I could buy a Dell for dude.

Do all the normal stuff
master/slave
update drivers at windows update
set all IDE drives to DMA and digital audio etc
Bios check at Dell for updates
Check you drive config in Bios setup mode(two of my Dells were set wrong)

how do i set the jumpers - one to master and other to slave? is it done by hand - physically? i am totally new to this so help this idiot also.

Yes, you have to manually set the jumpers by hand. On the DVD drive in the back, there should be a diagram as to which is the Master, Slave, Cable Select (CS), etc. Just pull out that tiny little plastic piece and put it into your desired setting. If you want “Master”, be sure the have the plastic piece in that slot. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

As far as the Master/Slave/CS (Cable Select) jumper locations. Each one is clearly identified as MS (Master) SL (Slave) CS (Cable Select). With two drives on the same ribbon cable, one must be designate as Master and the other Slave. For ease set both drives to CS.

That is what I do. :slight_smile:

Any time I see a pc set like that is when my headaches start. :eek:

I have people tell me this all the time. So we compare part and quality and they find how much Dell stuck it to them. I’m sorry to say but there is no way you couldn’t build a better pc for less money then buying a :Z Dell.
Dude Dell sucks. :eek: :slight_smile:

DELL uses so so parts (often inferior) and some proprietary components (motherboard, case, BIOS…). E-machines are cheaper and just as reliable. It’s difficult to beat DELL in the low-end PC class, cause you have to pay more $ for the OS.

I’m not a big fan of DELL. Crappy customer support from India.

So, I decided to replace my SCSI Plextor 8x CD burner with the NEC 3520a, and decided to try to install it myself. I’m not very good with hardware.

I took out the old drive and removed the SCSI ribbon cable.

My 3520a is an IDE device and not a SCSI. Make sure you are attaching to the proper IO.

What if you already own the OS?
Then it just a total was of money to buy a DELL.
Dude I’m not getting a :Z Dell cause Dell SUCKS!!! :bigsmile: