An hour in orkut

vbimport

gene_simmons, invited me to Orkut a couple of weeks ago. First I thought it was a deserted Dutch island, but later I found out that it was an Internet community. Hell… why not try. I PM’ed gene my email address (a hotmail address won’t work). The email address I send him, was not a hotmail address, but orkut didn’t like it, so I had to send him another. After that I received an invitation. When I joined Orkut I had to fill in a couple of questions to make a profile. After that I was directed to the cdfreaks community. Here I was asked if I would like to be registered as a friend of two of the members; the one who founded the “cdfreaks community” and the one who invited me. I wrote a little hello post and then logged out. To be honest I was a little confused. I had expected far more members (5) and I didn’t really know what I was doing there.

Well, all that was about a week ago. Today I decided to give it a try again. Orkut have 28 main groups, which all has a lot of sub-communities. I decided to start in the music community, which contains 3237 sub-communities. The first thing that makes me wonder, is the very few members each community have? Seems a little boring with only one or two members! Suddenly I realise that all off the communities I’m browsing has just been founded this very day. The communities have not placed in alphabetic order, but have been placed by the day they were founded. No wonder there is so few members. Just to try it out, I joined the coldplay community (294 members). After that, the coldplay community appear in the part of the user interface called: “my communities”. That way I don’t have to browse, the next time I’ll go there. All of a sudden I understand the potential of this place. I can meet friends that share my interests. I can make business connections. I can make my own community. I can…you name it. A lot of these communities will die out, if they are not maintained, but some of them will grow strong and live on. I have only been browsing the place for about an hour, and I have a lot to learn about this place, but it sure looks interesting.

About Orkut (Taken from the orkut site)

Orkut is an online community website designed for friends. The main goal of our service is to make your social life, and that of your friends, more active and stimulating. orkut’s social network can help you both maintain existing relationships and establish new ones by reaching out to people you’ve never met before. Who you interact with is entirely up to you. Before getting to know an orkut member, you can even see how they’re connecting to you through the friends network.

orkut makes it easy to find people who share your hobbies and interests, look for romantic connections or establish new business contacts. You can also create and join a wide variety of online communities to discuss current events, reconnect with old college buddies or even exchange cookies recipes.

To join orkut, simply click on the link in the email you received and follow the instructions for creating a user name and password. If orkut doesn’t sound like it’s for you, feel free to delete your invitation. If you change your mind in the future, don’t worry! We’ll still be here.

If you haven’t yet received an invitation to join, please be patient. We’d love to immediately include everyone who wants to participate; however, we’re also trying to ensure that orkut remains a close-knit community. Over the next few weeks, hopefully, the network will grow to a point where everyone who wants to join has the opportunity to do so.

It is our mission to help you create a closer, more intimate network of friends. We hope to put you on the path to social bliss soon.

Enjoy (=

Was not invited, so I guess I don’t belong there.
Because I am still not invited, I don’t want to belong there :wink:

I got bored of orkut in the time it took to signup. Thanks for the invitation though gene :slight_smile:
The invitation thingie is kinda strange, why do they want to limit themselfes? I have not heard of orkut anywhere but here and it isnt hard to understand when you have to get invited.

I’m sure it’s just Google colleting personal data on you anyways… :bigsmile:

[Edit]
Should read whole post before replying…

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]I got bored of orkut in the time it took to signup. Thanks for the invitation though gene :slight_smile:
The invitation thingie is kinda strange, why do they want to limit themselfes? I have not heard of orkut anywhere but here and it isnt hard to understand when you have to get invited.

[Edit]
Should read whole post before replying… [/B]

Sorry that you became bored,as for the invitation,you´re welcome:bigsmile: /gs.

[B]I got bored of orkut in the time it took to signup. Thanks for the invitation though gene :slight_smile:

[Edit]
Should read whole post before replying… [/B]

A long arduous signup process was it? :wink:

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
Was not invited, so I guess I don’t belong there.
Because I am still not invited, I don’t want to belong there :wink:

It’s a place were people are supposed to make friends. Not enemy’s. People around here say’s that you’re real mean, so that might be the explanation. Evil does not pay :D.

I got bored of orkut in the time it took to signup.

Well, it’s true that the registration process is a bit Tedious, but you don’t have to fill in all the information, that you’re asked for.

They’re properly trying to keep certain types away (evil Taxmen) :bigsmile: , this is a bit naive though.

The personal information you fill in does not necessary have to be the truth, one can easily provide false information, as long as it appear correct.

´Bout The Tax;I don´t think he´s evil,it´s just an approach([wispering]he´s collecting pictures of crying children as a hobby[/wispering]):cool:

I think Air can´t read fast,d…u…h! (BTW why did you have to wite pr()n collector???):wink:

The personal information you fill in does not necessary have to be the truth, one can easily provide false information, as long as it appear correct.

B_D:
true,true no one could possibly have the looks of your photo for real?!

:bigsmile: :iagree: /gs.

Originally posted by gene_simmons
[B]
B_D:
true,true no one could possibly have the looks of your photo for real?!

:bigsmile: :iagree: /gs. [/B]

You’re absolutely right gene, that pic must be a fake. I can’t even remember when it was taken. To me it looks like a crossover between Dame Edna and Ozzy O. :smiley:

Dame Edna
+

Ozzy

BeeR_DoG
/gs.

Yeah, that’s me. Trying to communicate with neologist: gene_simmons, in the secret language of the plextoolians. This exactly phrase means: oooohh noooo! Yet another coster, brought to the world by my premium drive. :bigsmile:

i imagine the limiting of joining is so they can keep up with the load on their servers as they study what they need. a lot of other ()ster type networks have had scalability problems.

//google probably has tons of info on you already. by filling in the form, its just confirming it yet again.