An honest assessment, Olli

vbimport

I’ve always respected your honesty and acumen in this field…help me narrow my choices here–OK?
With CloneDVD you’ve obviously weighed average user interest and designed for it (and I wish you luck with the feature-sets you’ve addressed and balanced for in the program). I, and some few others, have only an interest in getting the best possible video-reproduction/quality from a dvd9>5 copy of a main-feature. I want your opinion of CloneDVD output for just this–a movie-only dupe of an average Region1 movie, with only AC3-6 channel audio, and the English sub (since this apparently needs to be included for some translation sub-titles during playback). Nothing else, as I hate extras, contrived ‘out-takes’, directors yakking, warnings, menus, etc.
Will (or does) CloneDVD beat it’s competition in this limited regard? I can make my own comparisons (and am doing so) but I know for a fact that you’ve made extensive critical review of the other ‘one-clickers’ as you’ve refined yours for release–and your ability to judge such performance is far beyond mine or most others…
Outside of CCE (far too cumbersome and lengthy a process), can the quality of CloneDVD in this narrow sort of movie-only application beat D2O-1.2/DVD95/IC/Shrink/Xpress? If not, will updates likely address these limited needs for those who don’t want to split-to-2 and/or full-movie their backups?
If you can’t really claim any improvement (compared, say, to Variable/Constant D2O-1.2), have you plans to address such quality concerns (perhaps by including an easy way to cut most of the closing-credits to free up more space for movie, or help identify if/when a sub actually HAS to be included)?

I would like to ask what everyone watches their movies on? I have a Philips 27Inch TV and a Toshiba DVD player with S-Video Hoockups (Since my xbox is using my Component input). I made a copy of Tears of the Sun last night, with menus, and all extras except for subs, no subs at all, and I could not notice what so ever that it was a copy, I could also not really notice it on my computer really either, just a little compression but nothing that i would freak out about (Not saying that you are freaking out about it). I am picky about how good quality of a movie is, I cannot watch most Satelite TV channels because they are to compressed and look like crap, such as ESPN, when i try to watch dirkbike racing all the sand and mud on the track blends together and looks like crap.

Maybe if i try copying a longer movie, I will try Braveheart Tonight since i know it is a long movie. I will make a full copy but leave out subs and extra languages and take some screen shots of the original and the dvd5 copy.

OK–we’ll digress while I wait Olli’s answer (kinda hate to ‘put him on the spot’ like I have–but he’s up to it, methinks…).
I have a 42" NEC Plasma, and generally use a Panny CP-72 for input via component (btw, there are many good component-switching 6.1 receivers [like my Onkyo SR600] that would get you around that input issue…). Sometimes I input via SVGA from my PC-HT.
480P is very kind to the eye! [Incidentally, Sony is bringing out a 400-disk mega-changer soon for 399. MSRP–the 985V. Looks good!]
On my setup, most movie-only copies from D2O/Shrink/Dvd95, etc. actually look very good, and I am s-o-o-o sick of warnings/menus/and such that I often watch just the copy (and shelf the original). However, backing up a 500+ dvd collection is such an investment of time/money that I am really keen on using the best possible means to make back-ups–I don’t want to find out later that I should have used a different proggy…
I really don’t give a care if the program is free or 200.–I just want the best possible dupe using the method that maximises space for the movie. If the best way takes a few minutes/clicks more–so be it.
It would be ‘penny wise and dollar foolish’ to use a free utility when something superior costs about what a hundred blanks do.

K, with the 42" NEC Plasma I can understand how you could see a quality difference. :smiley:

“K, with the 42” NEC Plasma I can understand how you could see a quality difference"

Even if I were using a 13" B&W job, I’d want the best quality dupes in the hope I’d later have something better to enjoy my ‘laboriously created’ library on…
If you’re going to suffer the wait and bother (and the ridiculous expense of media lately), then why not the best?

Well, I am probably the wrong person to ask, as I will tell you it will beat anything in this regard. IMHO the CloneDVD transcoder shines, if it compresses a high bitrate movie up to 25%, which is exactly what you want. But I am biased, you must understand this… :slight_smile:

There is a lot of room for improvement, e.g. was the drift compensation not ready for this release, but you’ll notice drift usually at higher compression rates, and drift compensation eats too much time at the moment.

Originally posted by Olli
Well, I am probably the wrong person to ask, as I will tell you it will beat anything in this regard. IMHO the CloneDVD transcoder shines, if it compresses a high bitrate movie up to 25%, which is exactly what you want. But I am biased, you must understand this… :slight_smile:
There is a lot of room for improvement, e.g. was the drift compensation not ready for this release, but you’ll notice drift usually at higher compression rates, and drift compensation eats too much time at the moment.

You’re not the wrong person–and I do not expect a rock-solid, perfected release (you’re inventive, and I’d like to hear you speculate as to possibilities when time allows). I do understand that, unlike many, my focus is narrow compared to the market you want/need to address (so CloneDvd needn’t thrive or fail on this sub-feature alone).
Maybe it would be more prudent of me to just ask, for movie-only:
a) the strengths and weaknesses of your program as you see it;
b) your focus for improvement(s) in just this regard; and,
c) current or future features/editing regards producing more space for main-feature compression (can any one-clicker predetermine a ‘need’ for inclusion of Eng-sub, and how about easy editing-out of end-credits)?
If you tell me that, right now, CloneDvd can best D2O 1.2 or Shrink/IC for movie-only quality on at least some kinds of movies [long, short, high-bitrate, action, episodics?], I’ll register today. If not, but you can promise it will, I’ll take your word for it.
You may be biased, but have never lacked ethics…!
Frankly, what I want/need is not (and shouldn’t be) the primary focus for your efforts–most folks want speed, ease, and all the bells & whistles regards the ‘wonderful’ extras Hollywood is stuffing into their dvd’s. Your entry is very valid and worthwhile in that greater market–good work!

–edit–

a-b-c?