Amusing place names in Britain

This was a fun little article. I need to look up that book Rude UK and see if Arachne is listed as a contributing author. :bigsmile:

[quote=Kerry56;2205252]I need to look up that book [I]Rude UK[/I] and see if Arachne is listed as a contributing author. :bigsmile:[/quote] As I understand it, Ms. FluffyKitty contributes to the Ministry of Silly Names using several pseudonyms. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yo-

Could not find a [B]“Thongview”[/B]-eh

Goose Butt is my favorite :bigsmile:

I remember doing a lot of walking in England, it was so different that I really enjoy the walks. Every now and then I would see a sign “SUBWAY”, and think, I’ll take the train back, I would go in and come up the other side, no train, no anything. I figured maybe they were working on the trains and just put in the entrances first. There were these other signs that said “UNDERGROUND” but I figured, why would I want to go there.

[quote=Zathros;2205694]Every now and then I would see a sign “SUBWAY”, and think, I’ll take the train back, I would go in and come up the other side, no train, no anything. I figured maybe they were working on the trains and just put in the entrances first.[/quote]Hehe… yes that’s another nice difference; where things are labelled the same but mean different things to different nationalities. :slight_smile:

Also slightly off-topic; in the UK recently we had an example of how disconnected things can be when translation services go wrong; even in-house:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

There’s some other good examples at the bottom of the article. :smiley:

I also went into a pharmacy and asked for a “cough drop”. The pharmacists looked at me like I was nuts and then I blurted out, “A cough lozenge?”, which spared me the loogie I was about to receive.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2205415]Yo-

Could not find a [B]“Thongview”[/B]-eh[/QUOTE]

There’s a “Thong” in Kent if you look. :bigsmile:

“Spanker Lane” and “North Piddle” are good ones. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2205267]As I understand it, Ms. FluffyKitty contributes to the Ministry of Silly Names using several pseudonyms. :p[/QUOTE]

My cover is blown :doh:

North Piddle is not the only Piddle here in Woostershire. If you follow the Piddle Brook downstream you get to Wyre Piddle. Then everything drains into the River Avon.

In 1999 South Park Infants School in Reigate, Surrey changed its name to The Orchards due to a certain US cartoon. But there is at least three South Park Primary Schools which kept their names.

I wonder if the Piddle Brook runs from Penistone down to Goose Butt?! :doh:

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2206259]I wonder if the Piddle Brook runs from Penistone down to Goose Butt?! :doh:[/QUOTE]
No, but it did contribute to the flooding of Tewksbury in 2007.:wink:

a town called Girlyville near me, and a park called Gay City.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2206190]North Piddle is not the only Piddle here in Woostershire. If you follow the Piddle Brook downstream you get to Wyre Piddle. Then everything drains into the River Avon.[/QUOTE]

LOL, Wyre Piddle. Sounds painful :eek:

OT: sounds like you come from fairly close to my part of the country (I’m a bit further south than you though) :wink:

“South Park school”, that’s awesome :bigsmile:

[quote=Arachne;2206453]“South Park school”, that’s awesome :bigsmile:[/quote] That’s where [B]chef[/B] works AFAIK. :smiley:

3 of them, all close together.

Cock-enzie
Aber-lady
spit-tal

[QUOTE=Arachne;2206453]LOL, Wyre Piddle. Sounds painful :eek:[/QUOTE]
Not as bad a piddling on an electric fence. Never done that myself, but I remember someone who did.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2206453]“South Park school”, that’s awesome :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
It was featured on Punt & Dennis’ “It’s Been a Bad Week” on BBC Radio 2 (“The worst week of the week award awarded weekly on a week by week basis”). Can’t remember if it won.

@Arachne & Dee
To even things up maybe we should start thread about American place names. We could include some of the bizarre pronunciations of copied place names, such as the residents of Versailles who insist it is pronouned Ver-sales.:confused:

@Zathros
Just shows the importance of learning a bit of the local language when travelling abroad.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2206486]Not as bad a piddling on an electric fence. Never done that myself, but I remember someone who did.

@Arachne & Dee
To even things up maybe we should start thread about American place names. We could include some of the bizarre pronunciations of copied place names, such as the residents of Versailles who insist it is pronouned Ver-sales.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a real YouTube moment :bigsmile:

And yeah, evening things up sounds good :bigsmile:…all in fun, of course :wink:

[off topic]
It was a ~2000V agricultural electric fence. Ouch!

The problem is that to the uninitiated it just looks like nylon string. When my sister was about 6 or 7 she brought a school friend home. He grabbed the electic fence to duck under it. I swear he did a full backflip!

[QUOTE=Ibex;2206810][off topic]
It was a ~2000V agricultural electric fence. Ouch!

The problem is that to the uninitiated it just looks like nylon string. When my sister was about 6 or 7 she brought a school friend home. He grabbed the electic fence to duck under it. I swear he did a full backflip![/QUOTE]

LOOOOOOOOOOOL. The mental images alone will keep me giggling all day :bigsmile: