Amtren Flexwriter

Does anybody else use the Flexwriter? I purchased the Discmakers Elite 2 years ago which includes the Amtren Flexwriter, and I have to be honest, it’s terrible. The robot itself is great, I never have any problems with it - only with the printer. The color is terrible, it uses a tri-color HP cartridge and when it runs low on certain colors, it doesn’t warn you, it just keeps printing discs without that color. (I did a job with it this weekend where the disc had some green foliage images on it, the yellow ran out, so the foliage ended up blue. Not happy.) Even worse, it misses the discs constantly. The image is perpetually left of center.

Definitely not worth the 800 dollars for the printer itself. It’s about impossible to get any support on the thing, too.

I’m sticking with my Epson RX680 from now on. Sure, it needs to be babysat, and it does take 2 minutes per disc, but the results are flawless every single time using TY watershield media.

WE have a Elite II that we purschased about 3 years ago. It has done well with only a few minor repairs that I was able to do myself. When the Amtren printer quality began dropping off I called Amtren and they said they could rebiuld it for around $500 and cound turn it around in about 2 weeks time and they charged my CC with the money.That was 5 weeks ago and after more than a week of e-mails, phone calls and faxes to them we finally did get a short response saying they were very busy and could not tell me the status of our order.We have since found out the Amtren has an “F” rating with the BBB and although they have resolved some customer complaints they have many unresloved issues. I would recomend to anyone using one of these printers to not deal with this company if at all possible.

Update:

The printer still sucks. Now the robot itself is having issues. It won’t burn past 11%, regardless of whether I use the Flexwriter software that comes with the Amtren unit or Nero. I haven’t given up on it yet. I may see if it’s a ram issue or perhaps even a USB issue.

In the meantime, I ordered a Discmakers Reflex unit, and it’s great. Sure, it’s a manual unit and I miss using the robot arm, but for a back up unit, I’m quite happy.

I can’t seem to get any information out of Amtren at all. Do you know of a way to report the company? I paid $2,700 for a Flexwriter II publisher, and right now it’s a duplicator that won’t print anything. I’m at my wits end with them. They won’t return my calls, answer my emails, or update the trouble tickets I’ve opened.

[QUOTE=kentrich;2300191]I can’t seem to get any information out of Amtren at all. Do you know of a way to report the company? I paid $2,700 for a Flexwriter II publisher, and right now it’s a duplicator that won’t print anything. I’m at my wits end with them. They won’t return my calls, answer my emails, or update the trouble tickets I’ve opened.[/QUOTE]

Sadly they have been having issues for awhile. Even Discmakers dropped them finally :wink: You could try giving Kirk a call (he is the owner) although I’m not sure it will do any good. Maybe the Alabama Attorney General?

It’s a darn shame. At one time they built excellent systems :sad:

Just to follow up we are convinced they have gone by-by. Even the one or two resellers left told us they have not had contact in months.
Not a good end to a once great product line. :frowning:

Do not know if you have all resolved problems - I talked to Kirk the other day and he walked me through a problem. The company has been sold but he is starting a new company to support the existing units. (Per our conversation)

However, I have not gotten to anyone in the last week (have another problem) and do not know where is has all gone. I too am wondering what to do with this unit. Have a microboards GX-1 also - but just does not perform near as well.

Perhaps we need to start selling parts to one another.

Amtren is the worst thing that has ever happened to my company. What a waste of money and time. We had the first machine break down within 6 months, and I had to fight so hard to get it replaced. Once it was replaced, the new printer is dead (another 7 months later) and I can’t contact anyone at the company.

Lawsuit anyone?

I too, have lost all contact with Kirk Lamberth and Amtren support. I contacted a company situated across the street from Amtren, and the fellow there informed me that the building has had no traffic and the grass hasn’t been mowed in months. Looks like they shut the doors.
My issue is, I have a FlexWriter Pro that prints one CD, then says Working . . ., but doesn’t proceed. If the qty is set to one, it prints and completes the job. Anymore than that and it halts after printing the first one. Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

I am so glad I did a Google search and found this thread. We have an Disk Maker Elite 2 at our office, and I came to find that it hasn’t been working for months. I tried submitting e-mails and calling Amtren, just to find that they were not returning any e-mails or answering calls. If you call their support center at [COLOR=black]800-239-5410, [/COLOR]you will get a voice mailbox is full message on every option you choose to call and speak to.
I understand times are hard, and many companies are probably having to cut back or shut down. If they do, I hope they keep customers in mind and at least try to inform them of recent changes. It’s a shame when you have to read up on internet posts and threads to find out why you can’t get any product support.
I don’t know what we are going to do with our heavy piece of crap now. I would like to take it outside and do a number like they did to the printer on the movie “Office Space.”

Have you tried contacting DiscMakers? They may be able to help you.

They dropped Amtren over this whole issue: But that was 2 years ago or so.

Interesting read here: It might explain what caused the implosion.

http://www.websupp.org/data/MDAL/2:05-cv-01237-40-MDAL.pdf

[QUOTE=CapaB;2459381] I have a FlexWriter Pro that prints one CD, then says Working . . [/QUOTE]

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to print more than one disc, but nothing has worked so far. If you ever find a solution, please post it. I will do the same.

BTW, there is a new article up on their website that kind of explains what has been going on over the past 3 years. It sounds like they are about to roll out a new product. I wonder if they plan to ever support their 2006 models again. I sure hope so.

Nathan

[QUOTE=Yarrr;2207544]Does anybody else use the Flexwriter? I purchased the Discmakers Elite 2 years ago which includes the Amtren Flexwriter, and I have to be honest, it’s terrible. The robot itself is great, I never have any problems with it - only with the printer. The color is terrible, it uses a tri-color HP cartridge and when it runs low on certain colors, it doesn’t warn you, it just keeps printing discs without that color. (I did a job with it this weekend where the disc had some green foliage images on it, the yellow ran out, so the foliage ended up blue. Not happy.) Even worse, it misses the discs constantly. The image is perpetually left of center.

Definitely not worth the 800 dollars for the printer itself. It’s about impossible to get any support on the thing, too.

I’m sticking with my Epson RX680 from now on. Sure, it needs to be babysat, and it does take 2 minutes per disc, but the results are flawless every single time using TY watershield media.[/QUOTE]

We used the Flexwriter Elite purchase from Disc Makers for about 3 years and had basically the same problems with the printer. We switched to an Epson PP100 about a year ago and have been very satisfied with its performance. I had the printer for the Flexwriter rebuilt shortly before we took it off line and it was working pretty good we just needed something more reliable. If someone out there would like to take it off my hands for parts or a backup unit I wouldn’t turn down a reasonable offer.

Anyone still happen to have a copy of the Flexwriter driver/software installer? Be happy to pay a little finders fee, enough for a six pack.

Found it here:
http://www.discmakers.com/techsupport/EliteSoftware.asp

Workaround for .NET 1.1 framework here:

Have the robotics working, but Disc Printer Utilities is showing “no compatible printers found”. I’ve uninstalled and resinstalled Flexware - no dice. I have solid green and orange lights on the printer so we’re good there.

Is there a separate printer driver installer?

Eventually got it installed on an old XP machine, 30 discs burned/printed. To use Discus (Amtren’s old label maker) you’ll need a serial key (which I had on an old install disc). It appears to print/burn without needing to use Discus, fwiw.

If anyone needs any help getting the software set up or installed, feel free to reply - I’m subscribed to the thread.

[QUOTE=wjpatterson;2620004] If someone out there would like to take it off my hands for parts or a backup unit I wouldn’t turn down a reasonable offer.[/QUOTE]

I’m interested in yours as a backup… please PM me.

Hey astembridge,

Do you happen to have the drivers required for installation of the Elite? I have downloaded the ones provided here and it seems to work until it gets to the “amtrendisc printer” device. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brett