Amplify Weak Sectors! Does it Work or Not?

I figured I would start a new thread about this Amplify Weak Sectors (AWS) option found in the the latest CloneCD release…

Heres a few questions for you folks who have tried it can answer so the rest of us can get a general idea of who is getting it to work and whose not… So please answer the questions:

1. If your in a region where AWS is enabled, which games have worked for you and which havent.

2. If your in a region where AWS is not enabled and you used the registry hack, which games have worked for you and which havent.

3. What OS are you using?

4. What burner are you using with what settings? (Only if your hardware does not support SD2 or SecuROM 2)

5. What reader are you using with what settings?

6. Do you have any problems applying game updates?

Thanks for those who reply…

ok , it took a few hours , but i tested the scsi version of the plexwriter 1210 on 3 operating systems : windows 98 ( first edition ) , windows 2000 , and windows me .
the game game i used was " no one lives forever " ( safedisc 2 ) .
first i used clonecd 3.0.9.1 ( without the aws function ) . i used the settings from clony final : reading and writing : 4x ( i used a rewritable ), fast error skip : read retries :3 , error correction : none . i used the writer also for reading . the result was as expected : the game was working in the writer but not in another cdrom ( pioneer dvd rom 303s for example ) . weeks ago , i cleared the problem by using betablocker .

then i installed clonecd 3.2.1.1 and did the same job , but , enabled the aws function ( no problem , i live in europe ) . the result was positive : game worked in both writer and other cdrom or dvdrom .
conclusion : yes , the aws function is a good thing for the plexwriter 1210ts and i have a strong feeling it will be for the eide version too .
bye

Hi all. Just wanted to share my experiences with you all:-)…
As a fast summary, the AWS does NOT work, at least not with my HP 9110i burner. After some extensive testing with different games i think i can say that, with 100% accuracy:-(…i´ve tried four games, NHL 2002, Commandos II, Civ III and Comanche 4. I´ve used every possible setting. The result is exactly the same as with the older versions of CloneCD and a non-capable SD2 burner, a non-working copy. Sorry for me and all the other owners of that burner, but i salute Olli that made it possible for others using another burner and can make working copies!

NOTE:
Merged a thread with this topic and made it sticky… All this info could be handy to build up a list with working recorders, games, etc.

Does anyone know if this helps when trying to burn a disc protected by mediaclog. Barry1953

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
NOTE:
Merged a thread with this topic and made it sticky… All this info could be handy to build up a list with working recorders, games, etc.

I’m working on it :wink:

www.leech.at/sd2brenner

but i need YOUR support to complete the list …

Greets

InSOMniA

Ok Ive tried the following:

Reading and writing: Plextor 16/10/40 (firmware 1.04)…

Game: Max Payne

System: Windows XP

CloneCD with registry hack to enable AWS… (I did not change my country zone)… Fast error skip settings with read sub data… Write 16x…

Copy does NOT work… Original does… Also copies work with the BetaBlocker patch…

So thats my info…
:confused:

Hmmmm…Max (no ATIP check unless officially patched) should work in the burner, Plex’s are well known for this but that’s related to why betablocker was developed for those that didn’t.

Maybe the AWS has interfered with this - hmmmm, not sure, it shouldn’t. I very sure that AWS intercepts calls to the EFM Table in the writer’s chipset to ensure that regular bit patterns are reproduced but not all chipsets are to be controlled this way as we are seeing with Sonys & HPs.

Does it run in any other device? Do you have any SD2 titles copies (unpatched) that work in the burner e.g. RA2?

Well Ive tried the copy in my burner and in my reader… My burner with the CloneCD tray active says insert correct CD… My reader a Pioneer DVD gives me a error in some temp file…

Original no problems…

I just made another copy using the same methods but patching with BetaBlocker and the CD works in both DVD and Re-Writer… without the need for the CloneCD tray…

Im not saying that the AWS does not work, it does not work using the registry patch of setting all the AmplifyWeak entries with 0 to 1… At least for me…

Abit Sa6 Pent III 933 - Intel 815EP Chipset - Win XP Pro

ASPI Ver 4.60 (1021)

Yamaha 2100s SCSI Firmware 1.0N

CloneCD 3.2.1.1

Safedisk2 is now conquered…for me that is.:slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Games that have worked are Max Payne, RA2 & Flash Point

GF: Merged this thread with this topic…

As most of the HP and Sony burners are built on the same chipset and mechanism its more than likely they wont produce working copys using the AWS feature. After trying the above mentioned games with the HP burner i did a retest with Acer 1208A wich can do the correct EFM pattern stuff, all of the copies worked 100% in my cd reader. Didnt test them in the burner coz i dont know wich one of the games are ATIP protected. The question is, what “feature” in these burners chipset prevents them from making working copys using the AWS feature?

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
[B]Ok Ive tried the following:

Reading and writing: Plextor 16/10/40 (firmware 1.04)…

Game: Max Payne

System: Windows XP

CloneCD with registry hack to enable AWS… (I did not change my country zone)… Fast error skip settings with read sub data… Write 16x…

Copy does NOT work… Original does… Also copies work with the BetaBlocker patch…

:confused: [/B]

Simple reason: The “registry hack” is completely useless. Look in the logbook: AWS will be logged as off.

:frowning: I have the latest version 3.2.0.2, and I am from Taiwan, so the AWS function works fine in this region. I have a Plextor 12/10/32s, and I have tried the new function
on Rockman X-5 and a famous Japanese game Sango 8. No luck. It failed to make good copies of these two games.

Burner: Plextor 12/10/32s
Read Setting: Read sub channel data track: checked
Read sub channel audio track: checked
Abort on reading error: clear
Fast error skip: checked
Intelligent bad sector scanner: checked
Burn Setting: Write speed: 8x
Write mode: RAW DAO
Just Linked: checked
Amplify weak sectors: checked
Result: I failed

Any comments are welcome.

iemortal@hotmail.com
Edward

Are these titles Safedisc 2 protected - I take it they are? ATIP check?

Uncheck IBSS - it’s really only required for Laserlock
Uncheck audio subs - good for CD-DA, PSX, Karaoke, CD-Text
FES settings should be hardware & zero retries
Read speed “max”

Write should be default and speed should be “max” on 12x or > medium.

Result: I failed
In what way? Did you try it in the burner with Hide Media checked in the tray icon? Did you try it in a non-RW device?

I ’ ve read Max Payne with the Tosh 1612 at full speed, correction none, error correction hardware… Reading time 2:50 Minutes :slight_smile:
No subchannels !

ThenI 've written it with the Ricoh MP 7120 AWS on, laser power calibration on, end last session, full speed…

The copy works in both drives…

The same could formerly also be achieved by using betablocker, but this way it is much easier! :slight_smile:

The only thing missing is an integrated copy protection scanner :slight_smile:

Ah by the way… I am using XP on an AMD Thunderbird with VIA chipset…

Rgds,
Shiwa

> The only thing missing is an integrated copy protection scanner

We already work on such an integrated “scanner”.

Well, this is great news…

I hope this will come soon…

by the way Olli, do you think, that Clone CD will be blacklisted like Daemon Tools by Macrovison or other Copy Protection Developers because of the “Hide ATIP” - Option?

Rgds,
Shiwa

Originally posted by Shiwa
[B]Well, this is great news…

I hope this will come soon…

by the way Olli, do you think, that Clone CD will be blacklisted like Daemon Tools by Macrovison or other Copy Protection Developers because of the “Hide ATIP” - Option?

Rgds,
Shiwa [/B]

I don’t know. According to my download statistics CloneCD is installed on several Million machines (I would be very happy, if only 0.1% would register CloneCD), and I don’t know if they dare to upset several Million customers, who have CloneCD installed.

We’ll know soon… :slight_smile:

I acquired an image file and burned it following your instructions. The new cd is loadable but not playable. The computer keeps asking for the original disc.

:o

‘acquired’ ? Just ‘acquire’ another image from you original disc & try again. Hmmmm…getting a little OT here. This was a sticky post for > Amplify Weak Sectors! Does it Work or Not? < Nice info from Olli, thanks a heap :cool: