Ami bios setting

I’m almost done with fixing a computer for a m8,it’s an old P2 200mhz with a no-name motherboard,VX pro 2 chipset on it,sound on board and an AMI bios from 1997…
On my own rig,I have an Award bios,this 1 has a setting to disable onboard audio chips…My friend wants me to add an audio pci card,that’s why I need to disable the onboard SB16,but on the Ami bios of my bud’s computer,I can’t find such setting,maybe it’s covered under another name?.:confused:

Oh,and he has no manual of the motherboard,so I can’t play with any jumpers…I don’t wanna flash his bios either… :wink:

Maybe it autodisables onboard sound when you put a soundcard in? Just guessing though :slight_smile:

Well you can always disable the sound from within Windows… besides that, why not play with the jumpers? On most P1 mainboards, they are logically arranged: 2 groups of jumpers for the CPU speed (FSB, mp) and a couple loose ones for various things like CMOS reset etc… just try… it can’t do any damage I guess…

You need to find the jumper “JP3”
JP3 without jumper cap= onboard sound enabled
JP3 with jumper cap on= onboard sound disabled

I have a Mobo manual for it, if you would like me to send it to you just drop me an email.

Email

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
On most P1 mainboards, they are logically arranged: 2 groups of jumpers for the CPU speed (FSB, mp)

On P1 mainboard that accept AMD and Cyrix processors there’s usually a third set of jumpers for voltage too.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
[B]

On P1 mainboard that accept AMD and Cyrix processors there’s usually a third set of jumpers for voltage too. [/B]

Is that a common feature? I’ve got 4 P1’s here with only 1 mainboard that supports manual voltage settings…

I must admit that’s all strange brands I’ve got (cause they were for free!)…

All of my 3 boards which support the “alternative” processors have DIP switches or jumpers for voltage - I also have a QDI board with speedeasy - BIOS configurable voltage/multiplier/FSB. Do the boards you have support AMD or Cyrix? Because it would have to have some way to change the voltages…Pentium is like 2.8 and some of the AMD’s are 3.52 or something like that…a bit rusty on it now but it’s different by a good amount. If the boards use an Intel BIOS they don’t support the others procs (Intel used Phoenix BIOS)

TNX for the help,guys…I disabled it in windows,installed the soundcard and showed him the result:his system ran even slower…:bigsmile:
He decided to stay with his onboard sb16 chip…:bigsmile: