America: bigger TVs, smaller homes

America: bigger TVs, smaller homes.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/05/G4YUf8.jpg[/newsimage]The saying goes, "bigger is better." For American TV buyers, the adage holds true. Massive sets have become a sort of status symbol, and it's not uncommon for small rooms to host big TVs. Even as homes shrink in size, more and more big-screen TVs are being sold to consumers eager for creature comforts.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/america-bigger-tvs-smaller-homes-44751/](http://www.myce.com/news/america-bigger-tvs-smaller-homes-44751/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Walmart is capitalizing on that by selling basic 720p 50" tv for around $350. (in-store).
I don’t see a need for a tv to be more than 46". More consumers are staying home, and not traveling due to high gas prices. However, the premise that consumers are buying MORE TV’s this year than last year is wrong. Demand for HDTV’s has peaked for basic feature sets. The manufacturers will have to throw in more bells & whistles at the lower prices to keep consumers coming back for replacements. IPTV’s are going to be the hot new products for a tech savvy generation. Or else they’ll buy the cheaper set at a lower price & add it on. So much for those price spikes that Japan thinks they can force upon the export market.

Big TVs sell because those buying them are compensating for something that they can’t change that is probably very small (Brain, other physical attribute).
Take a look at any TV store, the guy buying the 60" TV probably drove up in an F350 that he/she/it also doesn’t need.

I chuckled when I went to people’s houses with large screen projection TVs before HD was around. I always thought it took a crappy picture and made it a really big even crappier picture. Too large a TV on a small room has the same effect. Sometimes more is really less. For HDTVs viewing distance should set screen size but the old projection TV mindset is still alive and well.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2588190]Walmart is capitalizing on that by selling basic 720p 50" tv for around $350. (in-store).
I don’t see a need for a tv to be more than 46". More consumers are staying home, and not traveling due to high gas prices. However, the premise that consumers are buying MORE TV’s this year than last year is wrong. Demand for HDTV’s has peaked for basic feature sets. The manufacturers will have to throw in more bells & whistles at the lower prices to keep consumers coming back for replacements. IPTV’s are going to be the hot new products for a tech savvy generation. Or else they’ll buy the cheaper set at a lower price & add it on. So much for those price spikes that Japan thinks they can force upon the export market.[/QUOTE]

Why limit it to 46"?

Sometimes the size of the TV is 100% dependent on the size of the room its going to be in. A large room with a small TV looks just as goofy as a decent sized room with a huge TV. I’ve been in both situations and say don’t limit the size arbitrarily. Go with what works for your room.