AMD's Greatest Gift to Intel

Hmmm, the rantings of someone who doesnt seem to like AMD

I think the best bit is all of the responses :slight_smile:

But seriously, I personally cannot agree with him, AMD has always been the underdog, even in their (for me) victories over Intel, and subsequently their defeats. But underdogs are always going to have a hard time of it, and if everyone thought as this person did, then they are going to/are having a hard time of it.

A strange amount of loyalty to products here as people scramble to defend the underdog AMD.
I guess I must not be real geek after all, since I’d buy whichever Chip broke the particular speed barrier I was after, at the lowest price on that day. Although choice of motherboards would have to come into it.
I like the idea though that “average” non geek customers only make up 50% of the chip market.:smiley:

Intel : Companies
Amd : Consumers

With the current flow AMD does not really recognize the corporate businesses with their pure raw power with minimum electricity. If i had to build a superb system where money is the 2nd priority , i’d always buy an Intel based system.

If it’s gaming and consumer stuff (little linux here , some bf1942 there) , then money is the top priority and you’d always come out to AMD.

If AMD wants to get into corporate businesses , they should buy Via and put all energy schematics of their CPU into a nice Hammer 2.

AMD’s home made chipsets are better than VIA ones, unfortunately, VIA has the majority market share.

AMD’s home made chipsets are better than VIA ones, unfortunately, VIA has the majority market share.
And this alone was a reason for me not to buy an AMD! The number of non-VIA-boards available (and with it the ones I can choose between) is too small

Out of all the PCs Ive owned over the years, (4) one was an Amstrad, one was an IBM Aptiva 486, then an AMD k6-2 350 and now an AMD XP 2400+, never had any problems with them.

Although I must admit that the performance gap isnt as large over the P4s as it used to be.

I cant say that Ive ever had any problems with VIA chipsets, althought the NForce 2 chipsets (nVidia isnt it?) look very nice for the next upgrade.

From all the posts I must agree, that AMD is budget. But Ive always gone for the underdog. Am a huge fan of ATI, always have been, way before theyre performance cards came out. So naturally, I also am an AMD fan.

Note: Im not defending them, but theyve always done alright by me.

Always gone for AMD because they’re cheap. I can afford a faster AMD chip than I can an Intel. Massive price difference in the UK

Originally posted by alexnoe
And this alone was a reason for me not to buy an AMD! The number of non-VIA-boards available (and with it the ones I can choose between) is too small

Man, there’s nForce2! I’m putting my MSI nforce2 ultra400 mobo w/ Barton 2500+ @ 2800+ under long term testing. I don’t know what people’s problem is w/ VIA mobos, but my previous MSI mobo w/ KT266 mobo ran for 2 years w/o any problems. I guess some people are more suitable buying Dell than building their own system.