AMD's 64-bit adventure begins

The advent of the 64-bit processor as arrived, and about time to.

Read the article at this 101% legal url :wink:

http://rss.com.com/2009-1006_3-5080659.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news

No Rules Broken here!

Intercept… :smiley:

Brilliant!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I can’t wait to see some performance tests.

not realy intresting atm
you’ll be running in 32bit emulator mode for 99% of the time.

btw
did you see the Athlon64?
if i didnt knew better i’d swear it was a Intel P4 processor :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen them yet. Could you post a pic of one?

Check this engineering sample picture:

Hmmm…what to sell to raise up $500…
Plus the cost of a mobo…

:a I need to get another job…

I read some review (Anandtech etc) and I’m quite impressed. On an average, the 3200+ Athlon 64 is about 15% faster than the Pentium 4 3,2Ghz EE. Considering the fact, that the AMD + mainboard (MSI KT8 Neo) costs about the same as only the P4 chip, I think AMD did it once again… good performance for good money!

In one review, I read that Lame 3.93.1 64bit was about 54% faster than the 32 bit version (on the same system). If that says something about the improvements of the 64bit system… muhahaha :smiley:

I’m quite anxious to see how it’s gonna be when the new Athlon FX’ and the Pentium Prescott enter the market…

Pricewatch has the 64-bit 3200+ version as only $30 more than the 32-bit version.

Originally posted by cmr2003x
[B]
Hmmm…what to sell to raise up $500…
Plus the cost of a mobo…

:a I need to get another job…
[/B]

plz update the sticky :bigsmile:

Originally posted by helpmehelpu
plz update the sticky :bigsmile:

I’m working on it… try again in a couple of days :slight_smile:

new review of p4 based motherboard…

setup is the same!

WTF ?? 422 --> 464 !!! (3.2 Ghz P4) using teh same setup !!

was the review of athlon64 baised ??

Originally posted by helpmehelpu
was the review of athlon64 baised ??

No, Tom is :wink:

I don’t know what to think of THG. Sometimes he produces reviews that aren’t anything like the reviews of other websites, with the same hardware though. Little differences in results can be explained, large ones are harder.

To me, THG isn’t the most fair website on the net…

sad :frowning: :Z :Z :Z

if both graphs r combined athlon64 3.2 ghz runs faster than p4 3.2

not even considering athlon fx.

plus q3 has always been p4 strenght

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Maelstrom
[B]not realy intresting atm
you’ll be running in 32bit emulator mode for 99% of the time.

btw
did you see the Athlon64?
if i didnt knew better i’d swear it was a Intel P4 processor :slight_smile: [/B]

Firstly, I’d like to know where you came up with the idea that the Athlon 64 runs 32 bit applications in “emulator mode”.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear it ran them natively :slight_smile:

AMD has Intel worried with this chip.

Originally posted by Kai445
[B]Firstly, I’d like to know where you came up with the idea that the Athlon 64 runs 32 bit applications in “emulator mode”.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear it ran them natively :slight_smile:

AMD has Intel worried with this chip. [/B]

I agree a 64bit chip will handle 16/32 aplications without having to resort to a 32bit emulator mode. If this was the case then AMD may as well drop out of the market now and hand everything over too intel and kiss there backside too. :wink:

Sorry but I am going to state a well known fact that a dual processing system has to have an operating system and software apps designed to use it, otherwise it is useless.

This is not the same as 64bit processor, its not dual arcitecture, but true 64bit and can process god knows how many mips(millions of instructions per second). So it should run apps and games quicker, its 64bit internal and has a 64bit external bus so will need a new mobo to handle it, but we are still stuck with the old 80’s bottleneck in all new PC’s the PCI bus is still 32bit and so is the AGP slot. The old ISA bus was 8 bit and that was a major disaster. :frowning:

intercept…:bigsmile:

Intercept it’s true that AMD’s 64-bit proccessor, Athlon FX-51, will play games MUCH, MUCH faster. The problem always comes down to this though, what supports this new technology. Currently there isn’t very much that supports this 64-bit tech so it’s essentially worthless right now. Windows is coming out with a 64-bit version of Windows XP, but that’s it for now as far as I know. Games don’t support 64-bit right now so it’s still running in 32-bit mode, which is native by the way it doesn’t emulate it. Another bit of information is that the FX-51 doesn’t support 32-bit apps anymore it only takes 32/64 bit apps. Unless the FX-51 has some 16-bit emulation it can’t run 16-bit apps.

Kai445 this is where Intel had some smart thinking. Instead of Intel moving up to 64-bit right away they decided to leave it alone for now because next to nothing is going to be running in 64-bit mode. Intel decided to boost the cache dramatically by making a 2MB L3 cache available on the P4 systems now. Intel also basically blindsided AMD. Not only does Intel have this Extended Edition of P4s now they are also coming out with a new chip early new year, around February - March, it’s called the Pentium 5 Prescott. I don’t have any other information on it except for what I have just provided. They are trying to keep a tight lid on this so AMD won’t see what’s coming.

In conclusion, Intel is far from being out of commission. In fact Intel will probably take the lead again once the new chip comes ok. The P4 EE systems compare with that of the FX-51 because of the new cache. If you need links to verify my information just ask, I’ll provide. I didn’t make this up, though I have only had 1 site confirming the new P5 chip, very secretive.

intercept - Dual processor issues aside, AMD’s chips are also competitive in today’s current 16/32-bit market, something you cared to overlook. Support is gaining every day, with Microsoft releasing AMD64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 soon.

Plus, PCI Express is coming out on Athlon64 boards in the future, and possible (well, i’d imagine) on AthlonXP boards also. I still see no problem with AGP 8x, it’s not like the Graphics cards are even saturating the AGP’s bandwith at 8x (2133MB/s), which is why from 4x to 8x there is no big jump in FPS (what, 1-9%?).

Alexstarfire - AMD (along with the rest of the computer market) was left with a chicken and egg scenario. There were no 64 bit processors for the home market, and no 64 bit applications/games for the home market.

Why would software houses make 64 bit applications/games if there were no 64 bit processors available to utilize it.

Not only that, but how do you code for 64 bit on a processor that doesn’t exist. What if there were design changes before production run? There are a whole slew of complications involved.

The fact of the matter is, AMD had the balls to deliver a 64-bit product today. And Intel is delivering a P4:Emergency Edition “sometime” and Prescott “sometime after that” with “undisclosed, but better” features. Intel conveniently sent samples of the EE to reviewers on the Athlon64 launch to try and save its image, and to try and rain on the A64 parade.

edit: BTW, it does support 16 bit code natively also. And the FX-51 is essentially an Opteron, and also supports 32 and 16 bit code natively.

Kai 445 GET IT RIGHT IT’S “EXTENDED EDITION” NOT “EMERGENCY EDITION.”

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Kai 445 GET IT RIGHT IT’S “EXTENDED EDITION” NOT “EMERGENCY EDITION.”

Actually, its “Extreme Edition”. I will point you to an article about extreme marketing here - http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=xtreme_bullshit (372,958 people realize that X-TREME marketing is bullshit. Says so at the end, and if Maddox says so, then its true.)

How does it feel to be totally wrong when you correct someone?

edit: Forgot to mention, did it really go over your head when I kept using “Emergency”. It’s just a slap in the face. Like when we call the Itanium the “Itanic”. Because it sucks so damn bad.

Come on guys, no fighting here :slight_smile:

Ofcourse, the P4EE is partly a marketing trick… but isn’t the XP addition to the Athlon name the same? Marketing is one of the most important things when it comes to making profit on a piece of hardware…

Besides that, there are good and bad things to AMD and Intel CPUs. That’s nothing to fight about… :wink: