AMD XP and SDRAM overclocking

I have a Athlon Xp 1700 with SDRAM (PC 133). How far I can overclock my FSB ? I have a MSI K7 Turbo 2 mobo. I am planning to raise my FSB to 150mhz. Is it possible? I have Apacer CL2 SDRAM.

Which type of RAM is better for overclocking ? SDRAM or DDR RAM.

In my experience sdram will run ok up to 150 mhz, maybe a bit more with expensive stuff ; crucial etc, never heard of apacer. People are running ddr with 166 fsb or more but you will have to unlock the cpu to get a lower multiplier, guess you know that though?

I’m staying in Malaysia and the popular RAM brand names are Apacer, Kingmax, and Kingston.

Apacer’s SDRAM is CL2 while others are CL2.5 or CL3. Among these brands, Apacer is the most expensive because it supports CL2.

if the RAMs any good you should be able to buy CL2.5 and switch it to CL2 in the BIOS! save some pennys!

How about CL3 RAMs, can they be set to CL2 ?

Some CL3 rams can be set to CL2 mode, but this speed ain’t garantueed!

About overclocking your FSB? Sure you can, Apacer is a nice brand of memory capable of higher speeds than intended. Btw, you can always try. Just push back the speed if it’s not working!

Another thing: you got a Pro2 board with a XP CPU? Your motherboard only supports 100Mhz FSB on the CPU right? Ideal for overclocking :wink:

K7 Pro 2 is running at 133mhz.

It uses the KT133A chipset and runs at 266 FSB if using Palominos and Thunderbirds.

If using older Athlons, it runs at 200mhz FSB.

Since Apacer is a good brand, I will try to overclock it.

Originally posted by liteonmania
[B]K7 Pro 2 is running at 133mhz.

It uses the KT133A chipset and runs at 266 FSB if using Palominos and Thunderbirds.

If using older Athlons, it runs at 200mhz FSB.

Since Apacer is a good brand, I will try to overclock it. [/B]

I’m 100000% positive that the Dutch and German version of the K7 Pro 2 where Athlon-B boards. Then the Turbo came, with Athlon-C support. I do know this, because I had the Pro 2 and sold it, because I wanted the Turbo as I ugraded from Athlon-B to Athlon-C… :wink: