Amd Xp 3200

vbimport

What is the best motherboard to buy for an AMD XP 3200?? for overclocking and in general?

The ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe is a running favorite right now.
Plenty of overclock options, NForce2 chipset, Gb LAN, S-ATA…excellent choice.

Also…
If you’re into OCing, you might want to look into the ABIT NF7-S as well.

jms

Socket A is at the end of the road. If you are building a new system I would really consider getting Athlon64 as the upgrade options down the road are much more open.

But yes the Asus board mentioned above it the champ.

Is it really worth buying the 64 bit athlon amd processor, i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-425&depa=0 and just ain’t sure about it if i should buy it, and will that be fast enough like in 5 years from now, I mean how fast are comps really going to get by then and does it really make sense making and upgrading every so many years to keep up? Would the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ be more than adequate for any type of computer use, such as programming, gaming, etc… even overclocking, is it any good for that? Also how much can a person expect the prices for those types of processors to go down like lets say in the next few months?? Down enough so they resonable? Also does anyone out know where the 32 bit comps will be in the next couple of years, will the prices for them go down dramatically since of the 64 bit craz?

A64 is going for a new socket so you might want to wait a bit on the change.
For XP I would recommend Abit NF7-S v2.0 or AN7.
//Danne

Originally posted by beginner123
Is it really worth buying the 64 bit athlon amd processor, will that be fast enough like in 5 years from now,

In 5 years, any current computer will be at the scrap factory, or running as a linux server.

I mean how fast are comps really going to get by then and does it really make sense making and upgrading every so many years to keep up?

Yes, if you want to run the latest games, programs or OS’s, ULTRA High definiton video’s or new applications which will take advantage of the new higher speeds.

Would the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ be more than adequate for any type of computer use, such as programming, gaming, etc… even overclocking, is it any good for that?

The 64bit chips are approximately the same speed as their XP counterparts, but I suspect will be better than the xp3200 as more programs will start to move towards 64b. MS’s new OS’s are highly likely to be distributed in both 32 and 64bit versions, and 64bit versions will likely be slightly faster.
Overclocking? WHY? How damn fast do you want to go? Ever heard of overkill?

Also how much can a person expect the prices for those types of processors to go down like lets say in the next few months?? Down enough so they resonable? Also does anyone out know where the 32 bit comps will be in the next couple of years, will the prices for them go down dramatically since of the 64 bit craz?

32 bit prices are already dropping significantly in the athlon range. Intel on the other hand thinks there is still more life to 32bit processors and their prices are as high as ever.
Intel prefers to stay 32bit and add more cache and a few new instructions, tweak pipelines, etc.

However, regardless, 64bit processing is the future.

Who knows where the 32bit computers will be in a few years.
I believe that they will be obsolete, and may find some use on some nerds distributed parallel computing array, but more likely the tip.