AMD to release Radeon SSDs – Powered by OCZ and Toshiba

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: AMD to release Radeon SSDs – Powered by OCZ and Toshiba[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/amd-radeon-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/amd-to-release-radeon-ssds-powered-by-ocz-and-toshiba-71125

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

More competition is good, but if they’re aiming to match the performance of a product that’s already released to market, they are targeting the lowest price segment, because they are at best already 6 months behind current generation and likely an entire generation behind, by the time they release.

I wouldn’t buy anything AMD made, not their GPUs or their RAM or their SSDs, even if they are rebranded.:wink:

ah yes Alan1476, so you are under the influence of Intel money…

Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions bashing a company that has been driving innovation in the desktop market… Very professional…

Be nice to others, also next time I want correcting your intensional mistakes.

@ alan1476

So whose video card would you buy if not AMD? … NVIDIA? I buy only AMD video cards. Just a habit I picked up when they were ATI. I found their cards, for the most part, better and less expensive. Some people complain about drivers but I’ve never had any issues. I tried an NVIDIA card long ago and it was a horrible driver experience – never again. I’m an Intel CPU guy, though, but must admit that the current crop of ASUS/Acer/HP all-AMD rigs are very tempting.

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2725247]ah yes Alan1476, so you are under the influence of Intel money…

Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions bashing a company that has been driving innovation in the desktop market… Very professional…

Be nice to others, also next time I want correcting your intensional mistakes.[/QUOTE]
Hi Chicken Little, welcome to our forums, at Myce.com everyone is entitled to their opinion, even you.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2725266]@ alan1476

So whose video card would you buy if not AMD? … NVIDIA? I buy only AMD video cards. Just a habit I picked up when they were ATI. I found their cards, for the most part, better and less expensive. Some people complain about drivers but I’ve never had any issues. I tried an NVIDIA card long ago and it was a horrible driver experience – never again. I’m an Intel CPU guy, though, but must admit that the current crop of ASUS/Acer/HP all-AMD rigs are very tempting.[/QUOTE]
Hi Duke, the reason I wont buy an AMD product is personal, its my experience and I am entitled to my opinion and how and where I spend my money. Yes Nvidia, yes Intel, and yes, many different types of Ram and motherboards and only Intel chipsets. But if you like AMD , be my guest and have fun. Like I said, we are all entitled to our opinions.:flower:

I use onboard graphics these days, but before that I had several AMD graphics cards. I never had issues with them and preferred them over NVidia.

In the not to distant future, and if you still want to use a desktop PC, then there may be no other choice than an AMD based system.

Regarding these AMD SSDs. I look at it this way. Till now, the only way of getting a state of the art SSD controller is to buy either an OCZ branded SSD, or a Samsung SSD.

AMD SSDs will most likely use the OCZ Indilinx Barefoot 3 SSD controller. Bring it on, I say.

@ Dee

For people who don’t play the latest and greatest video games, onboard graphics is a great way to save money or put it towards something else regarding the computer (faster CPU, bigger monitor, etc). It’s nice to see AMD branching out again. All the more power to them as they need every break they can get. If AMD goes under and only Intel and NVIDIA are left, we’re so screwed !!! :frowning:

PS - How the heck do I quote someone?? I see no QUOTE button !!

PS - How the heck do I quote someone?? I see no QUOTE button !!

The little square box on the right in the header or go into Go Advance

Hi, Bean.

I see no square box or Go Advance. I see “Add as friend” in the top right and “Report this comment” in the bottom left. I’m using both IE 10 and Chrome 34. I don’t even see an “Edit” button anymore.

What if I made a mistake, Bean, and wanted to go back and fix it. What then, Bean? What then???

LOL.

What template are you using? On myce2 there is an edit button and also a reply with quote. Also you can manually add the quote
[ QUOTE] you need to remove the space in the start and in the end for it to work :bigsmile:[/QUOTE ]

The highlighted area are for Quoting also

[QUOTE=Dee;2725327]AMD SSDs will most likely use the OCZ Indilinx Barefoot 3 SSD controller. Bring it on, I say.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know anything about SSD’s,but I value your opinion on this matter…so let’s see what AMD has to offer…:iagree:
About the AMD,Intel and Nvidia preference I can only say this:I don’t care,I only try to get the best bang for the buck…:bigsmile:
I own(ed) hardware of all 3…:bigsmile:

Okay, now I’m on Firefox. Still see no edit or quote button.

I give up…

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2725370]Okay, now I’m on Firefox. Still see no edit or quote button.

I give up…[/QUOTE]I guess you’re viewing via the Frontpage?
The quote feature, and edit post functions are available via the forum software at http://club.myce.com

This thread: http://club.myce.com/f94/amd-release-radeon-ssds-powered-ocz-toshiba-335929/#post2725380

[QUOTE=Dee;2725380]I guess you’re viewing via the Frontpage?
The quote feature, and edit post functions are available via the forum software at http://club.myce.com

This thread: http://club.myce.com/f94/amd-release-radeon-ssds-powered-ocz-toshiba-335929/#post2725380[/QUOTE]

Thank you for figuring this out, Dee. Yes, I was on the main page. Silly of me to expect EDIT and QUOTE functionality where it used to be. I should have expected to go through the deep, seedy underbelly of myce for those features.

I doubt AMD can turn a profit on SSDs… with a sizeable portion of the desktop market shrinking, nobody is interested in the top 10% of latest innovation technology on desktops. Tablet & phone computing are all in fashion these days. There are still holdouts which run everything from ATMs to kiosks… but the home PC’s days might be numbered… because the essential functions are being eroded by tablets and specialized media centers & tablets are taking away the multimedia advantage generation after generation of android & apple portables. They also use a mere fraction of the electricity as well… it’s time that PCs evolve to compete with that so that they can SCALE electricity usage… there is NO reason a desktop PC must consume 120 - 250 watts at idle & light use for basic browsing and computing functions when tablets can do the same on 5 - 60 watts with comparable performance. IMO, AMD should focus more R&D on this area rather than assume buyers will materialize for $400 terabyte hard drives.