AMD SB700 vs LiteOn SHM-165P6S

My SHM-165P6S can’t read any disks (recognizing DVD+ as DVD+RW) but it can burn them, I had this problem before when i used old mobo with AMD SB600 and i solved it with installing ATI drivers for IDE controller (which is not required for normal operation). Unfortunately there are no IDE drivers for SB700 south bridge. Does anyone have idea how to solve this as i would like not to change burner because i’m more then satisfied with my LiteOn especially with its capability to read low quality burns and damaged disks as well as providing me a high quality burns on MCC004.

Hi,

have you already tried AMD’s latest southbridge drivers (XP version 8.9, dated 17-Sep-2008)?
You might also try another IDE cable (80wired, 18" (46cm), flat ribbon).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2137169]Hi,

have you already tried AMD’s latest southbridge drivers (XP version 8.9, dated 17-Sep-2008)?
You might also try another IDE cable (80wired, 18" (46cm), flat ribbon).

Michael[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, and they don’t install ATI IDE driver, but for SB600 you could install manually ATI IDE driver, now Windows reports that driver is improper

2. Tried 3 different cables, one with 40 wires, new flat with 80 wires, new rounded with 80 wires. No difference.

Hm. That’s odd.

What happens in safe mode?

If you own one of those IDE-USB converters you might try the drive there, I am out of other ideas at the moment.

Michael

Sorry for making confusion, the device is not working properly, i had SATA/IDE RAID PCI card laying around so i pluged a LiteOn on it but problem persisted. Device can’t read DVD+ media as it recognize it as DVD+RW, but it can read anything else perfectly including DVD+ DL.

1. I’ve cleaned lens and applied new silicon grease on carriage metal bars
  2. Changed several firmwares
  3. Tried disks form different manufacturers

Any ideas?

Is there any opportunity to try the drive with another computer? This could help to sort out software related issues.

Booted with Ubuntu 8.04 and WinXp 64 no difference, also i burned another disc and did disc quality test with DiscSpeed using my other burner Asus DRW-1814LT, quality score was 95, but LiteOn can’t read it right after burning it.

Okay. Then I think the drive is dying.

Update:

It seems that there is a problem with bitsetting. When i set that DVD+R to be written as a DVD+R when Nero does verification it goes without an error, but as soon as i eject disc it becomes unreadable in LiteON but ASUS read it as well as stand-alone DVD player. Any ideas?