AMD RYZEN discussion and benchmarks

De-lidding completed. :slight_smile:

De-lidding itself took only seconds, and couldn’t be simpler to do.
Cleaning up the CPU and removing that awful black silicon glue that Intel uses took about 25 minutes.
It took a further 15 minutes to apply the liquid metal, and glue the heat spreader back on.
So about 40 minutes to do the job.
I left the glue to cure overnight and refitted the CPU this morning.

Below are the results.

Asus RealBench stress was run for an hour before I de-lidded, then ran the same test for an hour after completing the de-lidding.

Before de-lid.

After de-lidding.

Max temp was 75c before the de-lid, and after the de-lid it was 61c.
That’s a drop of 14c, so I’m well pleased with the result. :slight_smile:

That is extremely impressive Wendy.

now get cracking the clock speed up there :slight_smile:

With those temps I am betting on 5.0ghz on air.

Wendy , this is what I have for the liquid metal paste. Do you think it will be sufficient?

That is exactly what I used. use the small brushes that is supplied Liquid Metal Ultra to apply the paste to the CPU die, and the underside of the heat spreader. Don’t apply to much. I used some ‘masking tape’ around the outside of the CPU die to make sure it didn’t spread over the side and onto the PCB of the CPU.
What ever you do, remove the CPU from the PC during the whole process. Liquid Metal is conductive, and should you spill some onto your motherboard. it will for sure kill the motherboard.

Don’t use Liquid Metal between the top side of the heat spreader and your CPU cooler, as should it spill over and come into contact with (for example) the heatsink that is on your power regulators it eat away the heatsick.
I used Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, and find it excellent for the job.

Just take your time, and don’t rush the job.

5GHz is now easy. :slight_smile:

Thanks Wendy, just hearing you say 5ghz is easy blows my mind. I remember when we had contests to see who could join the 4ghz club. ( without temps up around 85c) My how times have changed.

I can remember the days when getting to 3GHz was a real task. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dee, post:168, topic:398781, full:true”]
That is exactly what I used. use the small brushes that is supplied Liquid Metal Ultra to apply the paste to the CPU die, and the underside of the heat spreader. Don’t apply to much. I used some ‘masking tape’ around the outside of the CPU die to make sure it didn’t spread over the side and onto the PCB of the CPU.
What ever you do, remove the CPU from the PC during the whole process. Liquid Metal is conductive, and should you spill some onto your motherboard. it will for sure kill the motherboard.

Don’t use Liquid Metal between the top side of the heat spreader and your CPU cooler, as should it spill over and come into contact with (for example) the heatsink that is on your power regulators it eat away the heatsick.
I used Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, and find it excellent for the job.

Just take your time, and don’t rush the job.

5GHz is now easy. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Just in case someone gets messy, I watched a video the other day where they intentionally spewed liquid metal on a laptop motherboard. They went through a process to clean up the mess and it worked. The link to the video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTsra-uLBI

I think Ill use Wendys masking tape method LOL, thanks UTR

I mentally blurted “What a dumb ass!” when he squirted the liquid metal on the motherboard before he said he did it on purpose. Or did he really do it on purpose? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve found the limit of my 8700K, 5.2GHz, temps are not to bad (81c max), but it requires to much voltage for 24/7 use. So 5Ghz for 24/7 use now. :slight_smile:
I can boot to the desktop at 5.3GHz but can’t get it stable enough to complete a benchmark.

@alan1476
Remember the masking tape has to be removed after you have applied the liquid metal.

5.1 was a nice middle ground for temps/voltage

Unfortunately 5.1GHz for me required just as much voltage as 5,2Ghz.
I’ll take a look at 5.1Ghz again over the weekend.

Thanks Wendy, I will remember

probably where my binned cpu comes in nicely then

5.0 @ 1.320v
5.1 @ 1.330v
5.2 @ 1.375v
5.3 @ 1.390v
5.4 @ 1.4

Yep it would seem the binned CPU does better.
Mines requires 1.32V for 5Ghz, but requires 1.38V for 5.1Ghz and 5,2 Ghz, and that is too much for 24/7 operation IMO.
vdroop is also quite bad on this board

what llc level do you have on it as mine barely moves also what bios version you on ?

BIOS 1.60 with llc at level 2

The way I understood it LLC is all about countering vdroop. All systems have vdroop and LLC adds voltage when under load to counter the vdroop. I could be wrong here .