AMD RYZEN discussion and benchmarks

I am so old the only Scot I ever knew was William Wallace. LOL

I am sure that you are not that old :wink:

AMD are living up to their promise of further improvements to the RyZen platform.

The last few weeks they have updated the processor microcode with AGESA version 1.0.7.1, which further improves DRAM compatibly, stability, and performance. It also fixes cold boot issues, and resume from sleep issues.
Performance increases in Infinity Fabric in the form of even lower latency, and also lower latency on the PCIe bus, which results in better graphics performance, and a marked increase in performance with NVMe SSDs, which was already performing extremely well.

You will need to wait on your motherboard vendor releasing a BIOS update with the new AGESA microcode. Asus released such an update for my ROG Crosshair Hero board in the shape of BIOS version 3008.

You will also need to the new AMD chipset drivers version 17.40 to make use of the better PCIe/NVMe performance.

Hope its a good improvement , may be tempted to try it again in the future

Performance improvements are difficult to quantify. It still feels about the same, but benchmarks say its faster.
NVMe performance is certainly up, and you can feel that. Apps load even faster than they did before.
Cold boot, and resume from sleep issues are certainly fixed.

So far I like what AMD has done with the ryzen CPU’s, if the next gen could reach speeds of 4.3-4.5GHz i would be moving on to an eight core AMD CPU, assuming that AMD will continue to have the same pricing.

I don’t know maybe its because I am old, and I can’t measure time as well as I did years ago, but my SATA SSDs seem just as fast as my NVMe SSDs , the only different I can actually tell is with a stick of Optane. ( and that wasn’t even my rig, it was my sons 8700K. ) Loading pages and scanning my A/V seemed a bit faster but nothing amazing. I am totally happy with my Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSDs.

AMDs New EPYC CPU

WOW that price is EPIC :slight_smile: but I am looking at this sweet little beast, with only 8C and 16T and most importantly a great price.

EPYC is a server class CPU, and with such slow base clocks for that 7281 it wouldn’t make a good desktop CPU. However, with 8 channel memory, and 128 PCIe lanes, it could well make a good video workstation.

SATA vs NVMe. On a desktop consumer workload, its hard to tell them apart in regards to performance. If you need very high I/O’s for your workload, NVMe really comes into its own.

Regarding Ryzen R7 1700. IMO, its by far the best bang for your buck at the moment.

BTW: I’m hearing that Ryzen R7 2700 (Ryzen refresh due in Feb 2018) will be clocked at 4.3 GHz, and perhaps, the R7 2800X (if one appears) will be clocked at 4.5Ghz, and all at the same price points as the existing RyZen R7 prices.

Also, that BIOS update I talked about a few posts above has support for the new Ryzen (refresh) CPU’s. So it looks like the X370 motherboards should be fine for the new CPU’s when they arrive.

Now that would be great, and certainly will push more people towards AMD, i also dont believe that intel will be dropping their pricing anytime soon.

Asus has released a beta BIOS for their Crosshair Hero X370 with AGESA version 1.1.0.0. BIOS version 3101.
This new microcode has final support for the Ryzen refresh CPU’s, which tends to suggest the new Ryzen refresh CPU’s have now gone into production. :slight_smile:

This is just a short comparison between AMD Ryzen and Intel Skylake.

The Ryzen build is a AMD Ryzen R7 1700 clocked at 3.85Ghz
The Skylake build is an Intel i7 6700K clocked at 4.6GHz

Both systems have 16GB of DDR4, NVidia graphics, and both systems have an NVMe SSD as the system drive.

The benchmark i’m using is Asus ROG RealBench, which is a ‘real world’ system benchmark.

Pic1
The new AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0. build

Pic2 Ryzen 1700 score

Pic3 Intel Skylake score.

Now with RAM overclocked to 3466MHz.

ZEN+ to launch April 2018. along with the X470 chipset.
Built on a 12nm process, with at least 10% performance boost over ZEN, and without raising the TDP of the RyZen CPU’s.

That would suggest at least a 4.4Ghz clock speed from the RyZen refresh.

Your scores have doubled and tripled in some areas. But you have to realize not everyone has the know how to OC their RAM like you do. Imagine if you had the threadripper. LOL

I was hoping to see the release of ZEN+ in March, anyway if all goes well I should be having a good birthday present on May with a new CPU and motherboard.

If it would be able to achieve speeds close to 4.4-4.5GHz then there want be any reason to get an intel CPU, unless intel drops the pricing on their CPU’s something that I dont see happening very soon.

@alan1476 It not very difficult thing to do, you need a lot of reading and also patience to play with. But I do understand that for most people the XMP profile would do the job.