AMD RYZEN discussion and benchmarks

It’s good to know that even the B350 chipset supports the new 3000 series RyZen CPU’s.
Not long after I made my last post, I found a video on YouTube of an 3900X running on an B350 chipset board. I can’t find the video at the moment.
The only comment the person made was, the VRM’s were getting a bit hot. But that’s to be expected when such a CPU is running on board that it wasn’t designed to run on.

Regarding PCIe4. Since NVMe is run directly from the CPU on RyZen. You will get PCIe4 speeds from an PCIe4 NVMe SSD, even on an X470 or X370 motherboard.

It might have been a Hardware Unboxed video on YouTube. I watched it and he used the exact same motherboard that I have. There was a 1700X (OC’ed to 4.0 GHZ) in it before the swap so the 3600X probably takes much less wattage than it did. I managed to get the memory to clock in at 3200 with 16-17-17-17-36 timings after some effort but it would not go up to its 3600 rating but this was better than I got using the 1700X. From the video, it looks like there aren’t any huge performance gains to be had from going to a 570 motherboard. At this point, I plan to keep using the B350 board indefinitely.

I run a NVMe SSD and I did seem to notice a good bump in performance from it with the 3600X.

I very nearly pulled the trigger on an 3700X today, but went instead for a new GPU.
I’m into video editing at the moment using DaVinci Resolve, and have read great things about the NVidia RTX GPU’s when in use in Resolve.
The new RTX 2070 Super is really what I wanted, but my god its expensive. so instead have purchased an RTX 2060 Super.

The RTX 2060S (super) now has 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM, up from 6GB on the standard RTX 2060. It also has more Cuda cores, and its clocked faster.

It should arrive tomorrow, so I’ll see what its like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope the 2060 works well for you. You might have made a good choice passing on the 3700X. Gamers Nexus did a series of benchmarks on it and found it to be the least value CPU in the 3000 series compared to its nearest Intel competitors. It seems like the 3600, 3600X and 3900X gave more performance per dollar spent compared to similarly prices Intel CPUs. It looks like the eight core CPUs are no longer a clear good choice in AMD’s lineup.

The RTX 2060 Super, is very fast. :slight_smile:
Tested with 3D Mark

My original GTX 1060

Now the RTX 2060 Super

How the RTX2016 Super compares with other GPU’s.

1 Like

Thats almost double, you got a great deal on a great card. Let me know how you enjoy it ?

Indeed, nearly double the speed and I’m loving the new GPU so far.

For anyone interested. Here is the card I got.
No fancy RGB lighting or anything. Just a plain card, although I did get two free games with the card…

Now for the real world performance, and the reason I went for a new GPU.

1080P video clip, 4 mins and 31 seconds.
Render on the GPU using Davinci Resolve with H265.

First result with the GTX 1060

Second result with the RTX 2060 Super

Very impressive. And it a lot cheaper than the 2080Ti (1,495USD) here.

The RTX 2080Ti is much faster, but one can only get what one can afford or justify.
But even the RTX 2080Ti is cheap compared to the RTX P6000 at £4200.

Perhaps I could justify such a card if I were a video editing professional. But for a hobby, the RTX 2060 Super will do the job.

1 Like

I meant to say.
RyZen 3000 rocks, and IMO it giving Intel some series food for thought. If AMD could squeeze another 250MHz clock speed throughout the RyZen 3000 range. It would handily beat Intel.
It already beats them or price/performance.

In all honesty. I simply don’t need anymore CPU power at the moment. That’s why I decided to upgrade my GPU rather than the CPU.

My RyZen 1700 is more than enough for audio production in my studio PC. And now the Intel 8700K and the RTX 2060 Super GPU in this machine makes video editing so much easier.

1 Like

It sounds like you are good to go for the immediate future. I have no idea what Intel is coming out with after the 9900K (which I do not have) but I am looking forward to PCI-e 4.0 , and the SSD speeds. A friend who went to CES told me that PCI-e 5.0 is already on the drawing board. LOL

The RyZen 3000 CPU’s have onboard NVMe controller, so you don’t need an X570 and PCIe4. It will give PCIe4 speeds on an NMVe SSD X370/X390 motherboard. As long as you fit an PCIe4 NVMe SSD.

As for Intel. They are in trouble unless they can get their 10nm CPU’s to work properly. AMD are on 7nm with the RyZen 3000 series, and its quite incredible that they have an 16 core 32 thread CPU in their AM4 form factor.

1 Like

Hi Wendy
I totally realize I am a stubborn old goat, but I want the next iteration of Intels new 10nm chip. Its also important for me to have a motherboard that will last me at least 2 years and be as close as possible to max for PCIe 4.0. Here is a chart I found for the new Gigabyte
The Gigabyte NVMe PCIe 4.0 benchmark showed the following results:

• Sequential Read Q32T8: 4,071MB/s
  • Sequential Write Q32T8: 4,244MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q128T8 Read: 2,730MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q128T8 Write: 2,634MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q32T8 Read: 2,538MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q32T8 Write: 2,628MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q1T1 Read: 65MB/s
  • Random 4kb Q1T1 Write: 265MB/s

Hi Alan.
You may have a long wait if you’re waiting for Intel 10nm.
Comet Lake 14nm (late 2019)
Rocket Lake 14nm (2020?)
Ice Lake 10nm (2021?)

Comet Lake will require a new motherboard and chipset.
Rocket Lake will probably use the same socket and chipset as Comet Lake.
Ice Lake will require another new socket and chipset.

AMD on the other hand are using socket AM4, which has been around for 3 generations of RyZen. A simple BIOS update allows new CPU’s to be installed on older boards.
For example, RyZen 3000 series CPU can still be installed on an X370/B350 motherboard.

IMO, AMD has more potential for a long term system than Intel.
Example. If I required more CPU grunt at he moment, I could drop an RyZen 3900 into my X370 board, and get another 2 or 3 years use out of that system. Without having to replace the motherboard as well.

Plus, every time you replace a motherboard you need to buy a new version of Windows further upping the cost. With the AM4 socket I upgraded from a first gen to third gen Ryzen CPU and didn’t have to go through all the hassle of installing/configuring the software I use. If I remember correctly even the forth gen Ryzens will use the AM4 socket.

Very good points, UTR.

I bought the Retail versions of Windows 7 that could be transferred from Computer to computer, I actually bought 4 of them, then I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I haven’t had any issues transferring the license for years and I do a clean install every 6 months to a year.
@ Wendy , what do you know about Comet Lake? What is " IGP " ? ( Integrated Graphics ?)

I think a lot of the information put out for Comet Lake CPU is determined to be fake. Gamers Nexus covered this in the video linked below.

1 Like

Back to the GPU.

The computational power of these RTX GPU’s are insane.

GTX 1060

Now the RTX 2060 Super

1 Like

More trouble for Intel

Whilst Intel don’t seem to be able to get their 10nm processors to work properly.
TSMC who manufacture AMD RyZen 7nm parts have successfully completed trials of their new 3nm lithography process.