AMD RAMdisk is 1700% faster than your HDD - and beats your SSD

I just posted the article AMD RAMdisk is 1700% faster than your HDD - and beats your SSD.

AMD has posted a blog on their website announcing a partnership with Dataram, a developer of RAMDisk software that should dramatically speed up gaming.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/amd-ramdisk-is-1700-faster-than-your-hdd-and-beats-your-ssd-64270/](http://www.myce.com/news/amd-ramdisk-is-1700-faster-than-your-hdd-and-beats-your-ssd-64270/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Ummm RAM drives were around in the Dos days? lol.

Wow, 1700% That’s, uh… 52, 57, 60, 70 - wow - that’s even faster than 50% faster Windows!!

Actually, I’ve been impressed with some motherboard makers’ bundled offerings for RAMdisk as if they know their memory controllers better than a standardized 3rd-party software package. It might make things a bit proprietary or requires more ‘agility’ for administration and maintenance, but if it makes Windows 50% faster - sure!

1700%.

Well, OK. I was really hoping for 1710%, of course. I guess that’s why God invented overclocking.

There’s hope, they tested it with 32GB DDR3-1866, with faster memory the performance should go up right? :wink:

Yo Domi-

I downloaded the software from the site - installed it - rebooted the computer - ran www.speedtest.net and don’t really see any difference from before or after-eh!

ROTFLMAO. Totally awesome “invention” … not.

I’m not sure where they’re goiung with this, but the advantage of a RAM drive over cache+SSD is … ???

And at boot time, you have to thrash your SSD to get the info to the ram drive ‘just in case’ that you use it.

This will die quickly…

Am already a licensed user of DataRam Ramdisk,and use it to reallocate, for example,my Temp Internet Files and Cookies folder…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2658969]Am already a licensed user of DataRam Ramdisk,and use it to reallocate, for example,my Temp Internet Files and Cookies folder…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
So now malware and data-mining websites can retrieve all your non-existant cookies upto 1700% faster :wink:

This only becomes relevant when those 16 - 32gb dimms start getting made in volume production… the typical system only has about 8 - 16gb of memory in them…

Generally this is 3 - 5 years away…

[QUOTE=debro;2658974]So now malware and data-mining websites can retrieve all your non-existant cookies upto 1700% faster ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL!:slight_smile:

No,it’s more like: cookies,history and temp internet files gone after every reboot 1700% faster than CCleaner can do,and without leaving traces,unlike the most thorough internet traces cleaning apps…;):bigsmile:

I’m going to copy some old movies to Gig 16→32, and maybe I can see Bette Davis taunt Joan Crawford 1700% faster this way. It takes her SOOO long to bring up that tray of baked rat, otherwise. [B][I]What Ever Happened To Speedy Jane[/I][/B]? I think that’s the name of it. And everyone will sound like Alvin, Simon and Theodore, right?

Seriously, though, I wonder if the motherboard-specific versions of RAMDisk-like packages are truly tailored for specific motherboards for genuine performance gains, or if the ‘standard’ for-sale versions can outperform those?

Sometimes I use the freeware version of Dataram RAMDisk (4 GB) for processing Video files. Some processing like remuxing and tagging is a lot faster on SSD than on HDD and even faster on RAMdisk.

Example:

Remuxing a 1.11 GB MKV file with mkvmerge (MKVToolnix) on my laptop takes…

26 seconds on HDD
9 seconds on SSD
4 seconds on RAMdisk

Wow, you mean RAM disks are faster than hard disks? I totally haven’t know that since… forever.

PS: IMDisk is free, open source, and is most likely just as fast as AMD.

TSJ, now now… “almost as fast” doesn’t cut it! If it’s not certified 1700% faster-!! C’mon, now-!

If only I can find my dream threshold of that magical 1710! Boy. Do you realize how much time I could save on a 26-second job?!! WOWSER.

(Of course, now I’m wondering if this isn’t how Superman gets the Earth to spin backwards so he can keep saving Lois.)

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2658989]Sometimes I use the freeware version of Dataram Ramdisk for processing Video files. Some processing like remuxing and tagging is a lot faster on SSD than on HDD and even faster on RAMdisk.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea! :clap:
ATM,I only have 6 GB of physical Ram,but after the (planned) memory upgrade,I want to move the windows Pagefile and some more stuff to a ramdrive…:stuck_out_tongue:

A Ramdisk is even useful on a 32 OS with 4GB of physical memory…you can create a ramdrive for the part of physical memory that’s unused by that 32bit OS to reallocate some crap…:bigsmile:

ChristineBCW:
All I’m saying is that AMD’s RAMdrive isn’t an advanced reinvented wheel. Don’t get me wrong, 1700 isn’t too bad (assuming that claim isn’t… “adjusted”), but I don’t think its speed is too much different than any other RAM drive. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the real speed difference comes from the RAM chips, themselves. Of course, I could be wrong, as IMDisk is the only software I ever really use.

Roadworker:
I’m not sure what moving your page file to your RAMdrive will accomplish. If, for example, you move 4 gigs of your page file, it might take 8 gigs of Ram to store it. OK, maybe it won’t take that much (in fact, I have no idea how much it will actually take), but you get my point. All that will do is make a larger page file, which will eventually be stored on your hdd. Perhaps maybe you could simply make it smaller, that might be a better solution.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2659298]Roadworker:
I’m not sure what moving your page file to your RAMdrive will accomplish.[/QUOTE]

Faster access times
Reclaiming (costly) space of my SSD
Faster shutdown–>“clear pagefile at shutdown” setting will be superfluous.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2659320]Faster access times
Reclaiming (costly) space of my SSD
Faster shutdown–>“clear pagefile at shutdown” setting will be superfluous.[/QUOTE]
If it’s to avoid the system of having a mandatory pagefile alltogether i can relate to install a small pagefile on a ramdrive.

But to sacrifice memory to make a ramdrive on which you install a pagedrive without reason makes no sense. Why have a pagefile then?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2659387] Why have a pagefile then?[/QUOTE]

Because I’m a heavy Steam user…it’s said that having lots of RAM doesn’t increase gaming performance,because most games are coded for 32 bit systems…typically,4 to 6 GB is recommended for a gaming rig.
But if I turn of the pagefile,some games don’t run smoothly anymore,or error out,although their RAM usage never exceeds 2-3 GB,while I have 6 GB…
So I started to play around with the pagefile settings to keep the value as low as possible,to ease the load on the SSD,but ran into this message " Windows has run out of Virtual Memory and is increasing the size of your page file"
As I already planned a memory upgrade,due to playing around quite a lot with virtual disks (XP Mode,Ubuntu) and encoding,I decided to use the extra RAM for the pagefile too…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2659417]Because I’m a heavy Steam user…it’s said that having lots of RAM doesn’t increase gaming performance,because most games are coded for 32 bit systems…typically,4 to 6 GB is recommended for a gaming rig.
But if I turn of the pagefile,some games don’t run smoothly anymore,or error out,although their RAM usage never exceeds 2-3 GB,while I have 6 GB…
So I started to play around with the pagefile settings to keep the value as low as possible,to ease the load on the SSD,but ran into this message " Windows has run out of Virtual Memory and is increasing the size of your page file"
As I already planned a memory upgrade,due to playing around quite a lot with virtual disks (XP Mode,Ubuntu) and encoding,I decided to use the extra RAM for the pagefile too…[/QUOTE]

I understand. I had some likewise issues with an old Photoshop product. It demanded a pagefile even though i had plenty of RAM. So i made one with minimal size and everthing was well again.