AMD processor

vbimport

I’m looking to get an AMD motherboard+cpu. What happened to the phenom 9700 and 9900s?

And do their triple or quad cores have any technical issues?

The Phenoms model number are XX50 now that they have a new stepping number. The ones with an XX00 number are old stock and will disappear as they are bought out from the retailers. By all accounts you should buy a newer one as they are somewhat faster and no longer have the bug that affected the first series or XX00 chips. I think all the triple cores are the XX50 series.

[QUOTE=UTR;2078681]The Phenoms model number are XX50 now that they have a new stepping number. The ones with an XX00 number are old stock and will disappear as they are bought out from the retailers. By all accounts you should buy a newer one as they are somewhat faster and no longer have the bug that affected the first series or XX00 chips. I think all the triple cores are the XX50 series.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know about the “bug”.

Do the phenoms now, both triple and quad, still have any serious bugs like that?

No, the issues are fixed.

:cool::cool:

That 9100e looks awfully tempting, 65w quad core Mmmm.

personally I would go with a 5600 black edition or 6000 at this point in the game, the 6000 is a beast and I’ve seen it as low as $100

[QUOTE=jwill427;2079569]personally I would go with a 5600 black edition or 6000 at this point in the game, the 6000 is a beast and I’ve seen it as low as $100[/QUOTE]

Why are quads bad?

No quads are not bad. I think jwill427 is just stating his opinion by the dollar value.

I am awaiting my components for my new build. I went with the 9850 Black Edition.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2079776]No quads are not bad. I think jwill427 is just stating his opinion by the dollar value.

I am awaiting my components for my new build. I went with the 9850 Black Edition.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
Would you recommend a triple core or a quad? Like triple is cheaper, but how many programs can benefit from the fourth core?

It would be up to you on how much you would want to spend and what you were going to use it for. I am only going quad core because I will be getting more involved will high definition manipulation and I wanted to really make sure that my bases were covered.

There has to be a lot of consideration before going a buying a processor, because the bigger processors run warmer and require more wattage. So a new PC case that will allow good air flow, and a larger power supply wattage wise will have to be taking into consideration. So you can see where this leads to, more costs the bigger you go.

[QUOTE=jwill427;2079569]personally I would go with a 5600 black edition or 6000 at this point in the game, the 6000 is a beast and I’ve seen it as low as $100[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to agree with jwill427 on going with the 5600 Black Edition man those things can
overclock like crazy on air with a decent Heat sink. I personally have no reason to move on
to a Triple/Quad core CPU yet because I really can’t even max out this dual core 175 Opteron
and 2 Gigs of RAM even when using Photo Shop, burning a DVD, and or surfing the web even
with multiple windows open all at the same time. :clap:

[QUOTE=getit29;2079881]I’ll have to agree with jwill427 on going with the 5600 Black Edition man those things can
overclock like crazy on air with a decent Heat sink. I personally have no reason to move on
to a Triple/Quad core CPU yet because I really can’t even max out this dual core 175 Opteron
and 2 Gigs of RAM even when using Photo Shop, burning a DVD, and or surfing the web even
with multiple windows open all at the same time. :clap:[/QUOTE]

How much can the black edition OC?

I don’t think that there is a 5600+ black edition. According to AMD, only 5600 and 6400 have black editions. The 6400+ isn’t unlocked, Black doesn’t mean unlock. Only the 5000+ is unlocked.

I guess I’ll get the 5000+ for now, and an AM2+ board so I can get a better quad core later.

I’m pretty sure all black edition cpus have unlocked multipliers. With a decent MB you can OC any of the other brisbane’s to atleast 2.8Ghz without increasing the cpu voltage much or at all.

doh! I meant 5000 black edition but my fingers weren’t listening :doh::stuck_out_tongue:

as far as dual vs. quad it really depends on what you will be using it for, there are very few applications that can actually use the full potential of quads, so its really not worth spending the extra cash on one unless you are actually going to use it to its potential, in which case I would point you towards intel since their quads offer better performance at the same price point. also right now its really not worth getting a quad to be “future proof” because by the time software catches up there will be faster, cheaper CPUs

When it comes to computers you can never future proof yourself. Things just move to quickly but if you don’t jump in and smell the roses then it will never be. Use good judgment and take your time when you decide to make your purchase.