AMD or Intel for DVD Ripping

vbimport

Hello all.

Any one know which is better for DVD Ripping; AMD or Intel.

It’s important please so help me :flower:

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’d say the drive you use is important, too.

I have two Intel systems, one with a LiteOn LH-20A1H as ripper, the other with a Samsung SH-S203N as ripper. Both are more than adequate for my needs. :slight_smile:

Hi,[quote=MrFadi;2105417]
Any one know which is better for DVD Ripping; AMD or Intel.
[/quote]the brand name of the processor doesn’t matter at all;)
Intel has dropped P-ATA support with their latest motherboard chipsets, so there is more choice of drives with AMD:)

Michael

“ripping” does not require CPU power at all. Ripping is simply the process of copying files to your HDD. If you’re talking about compressing video, as with DVDShrink, the speed of the CPU is important, not the brand. L-2 cache helps with video analysis, so more cache = faster speed.

So if you want to crunch video, go with the highest clock speed you can find, and the most cores. 4 cores at a slightly lower speed is better than 2 cores at a higher speed, if your software is multi-threaded.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2105422]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’d say the drive you use is important, too.

I have two Intel systems, one with a LiteOn LH-20A1H as ripper, the other with a Samsung SH-S203N as ripper. Both are more than adequate for my needs. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2105432]Hi,the brand name of the processor doesn’t matter at all;)
Intel has dropped P-ATA support with their latest motherboard chipsets, so there is more choice of drives with AMD:)

Michael[/QUOTE]

So you suggest using AMD Sir.

[QUOTE=CDan;2105439]“ripping” does not require CPU power at all. Ripping is simply the process of copying files to your HDD. If you’re talking about compressing video, as with DVDShrink, the speed of the CPU is important, not the brand. L-2 cache helps with video analysis, so more cache = faster speed.

So if you want to crunch video, go with the highest clock speed you can find, and the most cores. 4 cores at a slightly lower speed is better than 2 cores at a higher speed, if your software is multi-threaded.[/QUOTE]

So what you think go with Phenom or C2Q and which is the best DVD Ripper software use the 4 cores, and if the OS are 64bit, does give more speed, if yes what is the 64bit DVD Rip Software.

Thank you all.

Any one has more help please.

Thanks.

Any one has more help please.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=CDan;2105439]“ripping” does not require CPU power at all. Ripping is simply the process of copying files to your HDD. If you’re talking about compressing video, as with DVDShrink, the speed of the CPU is important, not the brand. L-2 cache helps with video analysis, so more cache = faster speed.

So if you want to crunch video, go with the highest clock speed you can find, and the most cores. 4 cores at a slightly lower speed is better than 2 cores at a higher speed, if your software is multi-threaded.[/QUOTE]

Actually without at CPU you can’t use your computer for any functions…CPU has to process the functions going from burner to HDD and from HDD to burner.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2106133]Actually without at CPU you can’t use your computer for any functions…CPU has to process the functions going from burner to HDD and from HDD to burner.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant that the Speed of the CPU won’t affect ripping or especially the quality of the ripping.

[QUOTE=Goit;2106144]I think he meant that the Speed of the CPU won’t affect ripping or especially the quality of the ripping.[/QUOTE]

I still think it does have some play in ripping from burner to HDD and from HDD to burner. It still has to process the commands and I think a faster CPU does help application go faster but more RAM does help as well.

There is several factors to have great rips and fast rips to and from the hard drive they are :

1. CPU and the amount of cache

2. RAM and the PC speed - example: DDR2 800 (pc 6400)

3. FSB = front side bus speed

4. DVD Drive

5. Motherboard to support FSB and RAM & CPU

[QUOTE=mciahel;2105432]Hi,the brand name of the processor doesn’t matter at all;)

Michael[/QUOTE]Ever hear of a PCI/IDE card?

So quad cores will all run in ripping, as i heard and read in the internet there is no software can use more than 2 cores even the latest games, and if i use a 64bit Windows or install Ubunto Linux 64bit does it make any difference.

Thanks.

64 bit does make a difference but not by much on ripping and burning, it will process the ripping better allowing you to do other things. I recommend it and the gaming aspect there are game out now that utilize the 4 cores. As for games and programs don’t use all 4 cores, why would you want it too? If this was to happen then the 2 cores alone would suit you fine. The thing about CPU process is that you don’t use every bit but rather leave some room for other things while you are doing something and not have the PC running slower or slower.