AMD new Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy Update

Notice of Privacy Policy Changes – August 2002
Your privacy is an important concern to AMD. The purpose of this notice is to describe changes we have made to our privacy policy. You can read our updated Privacy Policy by clicking here.

In order to provide you with the most relevant content and even better services on our Web site, we are updating our methods for collecting and analyzing nonpersonal information about how our site is used. Specifically, we will be working with third-party vendors to collect and analyze nonpersonal information about visits to our Web site by means of cookies and Web beacons.

We have also clarified that information we collect from visitors to our Web site will be shared with other third parties, but only for purposes of allowing them to perform a business, professional, or technical support function for AMD. We will also disclose information collected from visitors to our site to third parties if required to do so by law or for purposes of public safety.

Our commitment to protecting your privacy has not changed, and these improvements to our Web site will help ensure that you received better content and services.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_6760,00.html

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

This does not surprise me at all. I guess there are tons of companies doing stuff like this without telling the user of the website…

To be honest, I don’t realy care… visiting www.amd.com ain’t something illegal so let them record the parts of the site I like… if they are happy with that :slight_smile:

No big deal…

Note that every website you visit tracks you. Your IP is collected and this way they can track your country and sometimes even the city. The browser you use, the plug-ins you have installed etc etc is stored on most websites (including ours). This is however not really important as the information collected can never be tracked down to an individual, but only helps webmasters (like us) to better target our content, advertisments and layout.

and see the trends, so that you can test for compatibility :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed, they are simply disclosing that they are using the normal web statistics that are available to every web site. If this bothers someone, they can use Pop-Up stopper, or any cookie management program, to stop the use of cookies and/or clear their cache regularly. Your IP is public information, as it should be.

can they get my email address ?

You can use a Firewall if you don’t like being spied by companies or hacked.

E-mail adresses are stored in your hard disk so they could be seen.

You can also hide your IP by using an anonymous proxy server with a program like multiproxy.

Originally posted by pps111
can they get my email address ?

No

Theoretically they can, but that said they could also format your harddrive etc. Normal, large websites will only collect the information I told you about and you will have certainly nothing to fear about your privacy. Think about it, we have about 60.000 visitors on a daily basis, we don’t even care about your personal stuff!

getting email addresses is easy, 12 yr old kiddie hacker stuff - if they want. most email servers leave some kind of cookie on your machine, its just a matter of getting that cookie, and decoding it.