AMD claims 'fastest graphics card in the world'

vbimport

AMD has unveiled a dual-GPU, easily overclockable, 3D-capable, DirectX 11–supporting consumer graphics card that it claims is “the fastest graphics card in the world”.

“Packing more raw performance than any consumer graphics card ever created, the AMD Radeon HD 6990 provides the latest for the ultimate gaming advantage,” crowed AMD graphics honcho Matt Skynner in an announcement modestly entitled “AMD Extends Graphics Performance Lead, Launches World’s Fastest Graphics Card… AGAIN!”

Link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/08/amd_radeon_hd_6990/

:cool::cool:

If only they could get the ATi drives working correctly and the bugs all
worked out then I might consider switching back to ATi from Nvidia for
my own system.

The thing is from what I’ve seen and experienced the last several times
I’ve used ATi video cards or used the on board ATi video in some of the
builds I have done for others ATi still hasn’t gotten it right. :disagree:

Yet, I have never had any issues with any of the ATI cards that I have had.

:cool::cool:

684W :eek:
if I got this need to upgrade PSU ( mine is 850W ) ?

Been running ATI cards for years with no major issues though I usually stay a gen or so behind to save money and still have a pretty fast card. was running a 3870x2 for a while, now have a 4870x2 running with a Nspire Xtreme 750 power supply and so far still no issues. The drivers can have problems for some cards and their Catalyst control center can get funky but mine have worked fine and I think most of the newer cards and drivers have been pretty good lately and the drivers are pretty much universal for most of their cards which saves users hassles.
I did run a Nvidia 4200 for quite a while way back when when they were the great bang for buck card and it worked well for a few years but been using some form of ATI again since that now ancient card.

[QUOTE=getit29;2579142]If only they could get the ATi drives working correctly and the bugs all
worked out then I might consider switching back to ATi from Nvidia for
my own system.

The thing is from what I’ve seen and experienced the last several times
I’ve used ATi video cards or used the on board ATi video in some of the
builds I have done for others ATi still hasn’t gotten it right. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

This is something ATI has yet to come out and confirm that the problem was there. And that leaves some with a bad taste in the mouth leading to not make future purchase of ATI GPU. I had a ATI GPU and TV card that just didn’t want to work with XP pro and finally I just got rid of it and went Nvidia and haven’t looked back since. I know others will say ATI has the newest card but my question would be does your eyes really see the difference in the specs? Not really, those are just numbers and what you see is the same so going for the latest GPU that is one or two model newer then the older you won’t see much of a gain other then getting a bigger PSU to handle the power requirements. But also the ATI driver bug also makes a big down side to go as well for me even if there is no problem I shouldn’t have to worry about GPU driver to be able to enjoy computing of games or productivity software. That productivity down time is money to me and not worth the GPU driver problem time lost fixing the GPU.

The real competition the nVidia’s GTX 590 dual GPU is supposed to out this week, so we will see how long that fastest card claim lasts?

[QUOTE=crossg;2579270]The real competition the nVidia’s GTX 590 dual GPU is supposed to out this week, so we will see how long that fastest card claim lasts?[/QUOTE]

But in the end it’s all numbers but visual impact the eye and brain won’t notice the difference unless compared to ancient GPU to newer then one would see the difference in speed and specs would show more.

The only real difference I can see between my Nvidia card and the ATi cards I have
used in the past is now I don’t see the crash to a black screen or the error message
stating the system has recovered from a video driver error or what ever it says. :eek:

As for seeing a big difference in screen visual quality of graphics and what not with
my tired old eyes I can not see any difference at all between ATi or Nvidia but I do
imagine there is some difference there but not enough that I can see it. :disagree:

As long as the video card drivers and video card is stable it doesn’t really make a lot
of difference to me which card I run ATi or Nvidia just as long as it is stable and I do
not have to worry that it is going to crash while I’m in the middle of doing something. :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2579325]The only real difference I can see between my Nvidia card and the ATi cards I have
used in the past is now I don’t see the crash to a black screen or the error message
stating the system has recovered from a video driver error or what ever it says. :eek:

As for seeing a big difference in screen visual quality of graphics and what not with
my tired old eyes I can not see any difference at all between ATi or Nvidia but I do
imagine there is some difference there but not enough that I can see it. :disagree:

As long as the video card drivers and video card is stable it doesn’t really make a lot
of difference to me which card I run ATi or Nvidia just as long as it is stable and I do
not have to worry that it is going to crash while I’m in the middle of doing something. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Valid points… :clap: BSOD is just the worst cause you have no idea what happened to really cause it and could be a range of factors but only one problem would show up only. GPU driver stability is probably the factor for me on which GPU I buy or fix. But I would say for me Nvidia given me less grief for all the other hardware problems I had to fix or replace or toss out. :a

Impressive memory speeds, the core clock is supposed to be fast-eh? I am a rookie so I am not shure. Take a look at this. 2hr. stress test 60c was the highest temp reached with these settings. Stock VDDC BTW.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2579375]Impressive memory speeds, the core clock is supposed to be fast-eh? I am a rookie so I am not shure. Take a look at this. 2hr. stress test 60c was the highest temp reached with these settings. Stock VDDC BTW.[/QUOTE]

Very Interesting :iagree:

here what I want it is much faster than single GTX-580 series and cheper :clap:

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2581084]here what I want it is much faster than single GTX-580 series and cheper :clap:

Here is one example of a step better and cheaper and newer GPU engine update…going off what you just listed…

I already got another brand 560Ti
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0356465
I like to move next step :smiley:

This is 'fastest graphics card in the world’
GeForce GTX 590[B] $699[/B]
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/03/the-geforce-gtx-590-has-arrived/

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2581308]This is 'fastest graphics card in the world’
GeForce GTX 590[B] $699[/B]
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/03/the-geforce-gtx-590-has-arrived/[/QUOTE]
Anandtech concludes that the GTX590 is slightly faster on many current games, but is unlikely to carry that forward on future games - and then concludes that the 6990 is CONSISTENT overall.

Sounds like Nvidia have spent some time tweaking their drivers to win some benchmarks :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2581891]Anandtech concludes that the GTX590 is slightly faster on many current games, but is unlikely to carry that forward on future games - and then concludes that the 6990 is CONSISTENT overall.

Sounds like Nvidia have spent some time tweaking their drivers to win some benchmarks ;)[/QUOTE]

And to say ATI/AMD hasn’t done that as well kinda misses the point as well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2582042]And to say ATI/AMD hasn’t done that as well kinda misses the point as well.[/QUOTE]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-590-duking-it-out-for-the-single-card-king/17

Basically, the comment above speaks volumes.
Extrapolating the conclusion:
-> AMD 6990 performance is relatively consistent as expected across all games-> suggesting they haven’t spent much time optimising drivers for particular games … ergo baseband performance will scale with new games.
-> Nvidia GTX590 is inconsistent across games -> Suggesting that NVidia have spent much time optimising drivers for particular games … ergo performance for new games will be hit an miss.

I’m not arguing in favour of either - you can place your future game performance in the hands of a manufacturer with better performance consistency (AMD) or a manufacturer with better ongoing (driver tweaking) support (nvidia).

YMMV.

I’d prefer a slightly lower, but consistent, baseline performance, rather than risk random performance fluctuations between games, and worse, on the same games, but between driver revisions.
Urgh.

But then, I’m not a gambler.

But seriously … this is a niche product, that would be sheer folly to pay for, and I’m totally apathetic to the whole issue regardless, not least because of this.

I’m still just trying to get my new to me 4870x2 to now work with games I’ve bought, nothing wrong with the card but it appears that it draws so much power from the available 12 volt lines when going full blast that my 750 power supply shuts itself off to avoid over current problems. It is a listed feature of the PS and it only supposedly allows 18 amps each per 4 12 volts rails, this card can draw over 54 amps or something through the 2 PCIE connectors:rolleyes: As long as I dial back the mem and clock speed on the card it works mostly but if I let it run full bore it shuts down shortly after the opening boot screens in Stalker Call of Pripyat.
I don’t think pulling a bunch of drives and extra things out will help if the rails are truly limited to 18 amps before it shuts itself down so don’t know if I should add a second dedicated video card supply or eventually get a newer even stouter unit.
The PS is a Nspire Xtreme power 750, which is a OEM version of the Thermaltake Tough power 750.
I’d hate to try to run one of these newer cards if I have issues now with this monster. When doing normal things it runs fine 24/7, just craps out when trying to run at least this one game. I spose if wanted you can move this one to wherever for questions but it’s sure getting ridiculous to try and keep up with gear and the power needed. This thing never missed a beat for about close to 4 years till I upgraded to the 1090t and this 4870.