AMD athlonXP clock speed

hi there. I have a AMD AthlonXP 2600+, and in the system properties (general tab) the reported clock speed is 2.08Ghz, wich i think it should be higher.

I have an asus A7V8X-X mainboard, with the VIA KT400 chipset (supports 400Mhz FSB), amd my ram is 256Mb DDR (266Mhz). I know that the cpu as a 333Mhz FSB, and i only have a 266Mhz ram, but shouldn’t the clock speed be higher?

Thks!

i’m surprised you know how to recite all that stuff, but not have a clue about the processor.

that speed is correct. Your 2600+ is clocked at 2.08ghz. It is the thoroughbred B core with a 333mhz FSB. If you think it’s supposed to be 2.6ghz, I think you need this.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_3876,00.html#24357

The model number on AMD CPU’s is supposed to represent what speed Pentium IV it equals up to. eg.

2000+ = P4 2.0GHZ
2500+ = P4 2.5GHZ

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
[B]The model number on AMD CPU’s is supposed to represent what speed Pentium IV it equals up to. eg.

2000+ = P4 2.0GHZ
2500+ = P4 2.5GHZ [/B]

Ehh… that is not true. Although this is the way the PR rating was first marketed, it really reflects the speed of that CPU compared to an AMD Athlon Thunderbird (the first socket A CPU’s) running at that clockspeed.

So an Athlon 2600+ running at 2.08Ghz performs about equal to a AMD Athlon Thunderbird running at 2,5Ghz.

BTW… your memory FSB is lower than your CPU’s FSB is. Although this can work fine, it’s a huge performance hog. If you can spare the money, go out and buy some new memory (I’d go for PC3200 or better and overclock that Athlon 2600+ sky high ;))

Thks for your answers.

@Dee-ehn
That’s a great idea, gotta save some money…:bigsmile: to buy new RAM.

@ShadowsFall
I know that 2600+ is not the clock speed, but i read somewhere that the clock speed for this CPU is 2200Mhz, that’s why i posted… but thks for your reply.

Originally posted by pml
@ShadowsFall
I know that 2600+ is not the clock speed, but i read somewhere that the clock speed for this CPU is 2200Mhz, that’s why i posted… but thks for your reply.

There are two versions of the 2600+: the one’s a Barton and the other one a Thoroughbred. The Barton has a 333Mhz FSB and 512KB of internal cache, while the TBred only has a 266Mhz FSB and 256KB of internal cache. The Barton core performans equal to the TBred, but at a lower clockspeed.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Ehh… that is not true. Although this is the way the PR rating was first marketed, it really reflects the speed of that CPU compared to an AMD Athlon Thunderbird (the first socket A CPU’s) running at that clockspeed.

So an Athlon 2600+ running at 2.08Ghz performs about equal to a AMD Athlon Thunderbird running at 2,5Ghz.

BTW… your memory FSB is lower than your CPU’s FSB is. Although this can work fine, it’s a huge performance hog. If you can spare the money, go out and buy some new memory (I’d go for PC3200 or better and overclock that Athlon 2600+ sky high ;)) [/B]

So what would the XP 2000+ be equivilant to then?(In Pentium IV terms)

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
So what would the XP 2000+ be equivilant to then?(In Pentium IV terms)

That’s kind of hard to tell. The Athlons and P4’s are both great CPU’s and each of them have their own strengths in certain disciplines. In some tests an Athlon 1800+ can beat a P4B at 2Ghz by far, but other tests might show that a P4B at 2Ghz beats an Athlon 2200+.

The only rule that applies to almost all AMD/Intel CPU’s is that you get more performance when you invest the same amount of money in an AMD CPU instead of an Intel CPU…

there are actually 3 xp2600+ varieties

266 fsb 2.13Ghz thouroughbred
333 fsb 2.08Ghz thouroughbred
333 fsb 1.93Ghz barton