AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane

vbimport

Pretty nice deal at $84 shipped.

Not the BE’s are unlocked.

that is a nice deal…how do the athlon 64x2’s compare to intels core2duo?

Even up, Ghz wise, the Intels are better. But $ wise this Black Edition (they are unlocked, mine runs easily at 3Ghz at stock voltage) work great. Intel has nothing at $85 that gives you that kind of performance.

The Brisbane cores also don’t need any fancy coolers.

Due note that even though they say ‘Retail’, no cooler is provided.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2029183]Even up, Ghz wise, the Intels are better. But $ wise this Black Edition (they are unlocked, mine runs easily at 3Ghz at stock voltage) work great. [B]Intel has nothing at $85 that gives you that kind of performance.[/B]
The Brisbane cores also don’t need any fancy coolers.

Due note that even though they say ‘Retail’, no cooler is provided.[/QUOTE]

What about Intel E2180 ? it overclocks easily to 3.0 Ghz and is very fast :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2029229]What about Intel E2180 ? it overclocks easily to 3.0 Ghz and is very fast :)[/QUOTE]

If you want a inexpensive Intel Core 2 Duo get a E2160 processor which can easily be overclocked to 3.0 ghz using a Gigabyte p35-ds3l motherboard with pc6400 ram.

Well I prefer to not play around with the front side bus. With the BE you simply up the multiplier. No messing around with HT settings, memory timings and voltage changes. And not having to overclock the chipset means lower (normal) operating temps for the mobo too. Even those without any real experience or knowledge can easily overclock the BE to 3Ghz (the experienced [I]can[/I] get it higher) by only getting into the BIOS and changing the multiplier to 15. That’s it… done.

But I’m not here to discuss the merits nor debate with the Intel crowd. I simply listed what I thought was a good deal on a fine processor.

Good luck.

yes indeed, that is a good deal and the relative merits of that cpu were well covered in this article

[QUOTE=DaChew;2029453]http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclocker/

yes indeed, that is a good deal and the relative merits of that cpu were well covered in this article[/QUOTE]

Yep that article made a great read indeed I’m almost tempted to buy a 5000+ Black Edition even though I’m
still running a 939 Opteron 175 system. The only thing holding me back at the moment is I’d have to buy all
new stuff to replace my 939 system (memory,CPU, mobo) guess I could go ahead and buy the CPU now and
the rest of the stuff later and hope the CPU doesn’t come DOA as I wouldn’t be able to test it out right away. :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2029793]Yep that article made a great read indeed I’m almost tempted to buy a 5000+ Black Edition even though I’m
still running a 939 Opteron 175 system. The only thing holding me back at the moment is I’d have to buy all
new stuff to replace my 939 system (memory,CPU, mobo) guess I could go ahead and buy the CPU now and
the rest of the stuff later and hope the CPU doesn’t come DOA as I wouldn’t be able to test it out right away. :doh:[/QUOTE]

You dont buy CPU and leave it there. CPU prices are very volatile. By the time you are ready to get the rest of the other components, there might be a better budget CPU coming out using a new socket and you are pretty much stucked with what you have. You already have the opteron 175, this CPU is not a major upgrade and thus a very bad idea to buy it and leave it there. On the Intel end, there is the E8200 CPU, very good since it is built on the 45nm wafer, supports SSE4 for HD encoding, and it is supper fast. So there is no point of buying this CPU and leave it there.

However, you can’t upgrade your opteron with the intel chip, because they use different sockets, but since CPUs always get better (not to mention cheaper) as time continues, then you might as well wait awhile - until you want to build a new computer or something, because as ghetocowboy said, this CPU wont be a major upgrade

[QUOTE=cremestar;2029826]However, you can’t upgrade your opteron with the intel chip, because they use different sockets, but since CPUs always get better (not to mention cheaper) as time continues, then you might as well wait awhile - until you want to build a new computer or something, because as ghetocowboy said, this CPU wont be a major upgrade[/QUOTE]

His Opteron 175 is socket 939, using SDRAM PC-3200 (DDR-1). The X2 5000+ is a socket AM2, and AM2 Boards use DDR-2 Ram. So upgrading to a faster AMD will cost him as much Intel in his case.

Yeah I agree it probably wouldn’t be a very good ideal to buy it and just leave it laying there until
I get around to buying the other parts to go with it. :disagree: I just did some checking on newegg on what
kind of prices I will be looking at to do an upgrade and it’s not really all that bad.

1.BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138082

2.CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

3.AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194

4.XIGMATEK AIO-S80DP All-in-one liquid cooling system
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233011

Subtotal: $241.98
Tax: $22.38
Shipping: $10.17

[U][B]Grand Total: $274.53[/B][/U]

Not really all that bad of a price I guess for a Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and a All In One CPU Water Cooler
what do you guys/gals think should I go for it? :confused:

I would seriously consider spending another $30 and getting the MSI CF-F AM2+ board just in case you ever plan to upgrade processors again. It has native quad-core support and works well with the 5000+ black edition (my 2nd rig is running the same combo @ 3.11ghz until the B3 Phenoms hit retail and then it’ll be getting the B2 in my main rig). It should also support future AM3+ processors when they come out.

I would also recommend getting an AM2+ board. I’d also forget about that cooler and just get an Arctic Cooling cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125. You won’t gain anything using a bigger/stronger/liquid solution. The BE already oc’s quite well on air.