AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane

vbimport

NewEgg has this CPU for $79.00 and I wanted to use It with a ABIT KN9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra motherboard but its not compatable because of the low power requirements. The reason I wanted this motherboard was the price
and the 2 ide channels for all my burners. Can anybody recommend a similar combo without breaking the bank. I will also have to buy a video card, memory
and a heatsink for the cpu. I already have 5 computers but they are all socket A
so I am looking to bump up a bit

budzos

I would go for the 3800X2 or even higher, the price points are very low with the AM2 socket as the 940 socket is now available. I have the 939 socket and its almost impossible to find a processor that is better than the 3800X2 that I have now. Ebay has some but I hate to buy computer parts on Ebay.

What makes the 3800X2 so nice to have? Also I see a couple different versions
of this chip, Which one should I be looking at? Should I just buy the absolute fastest X2 I can afford or is there a sweet spot or model of processor? As long as I am asking questions heres another. If I run a non 64bit operating system like 2000 or XP Pro how much of a performance hit will I be taking compared to running the 64bit versions of the same system? Any advice is welcomed.
budzos

IIRC, odd & half CPU multipliers will cause the RAM to not run at specified speeds, unless you plan on OC’ing, then it won’t matter.

get the 3600 and Biostar TForce 550 combo for $144 and an arctic freezer 64 pro and OC it to the max :cool:

that combo is known to reach 2.6-2.8ghz fairly easily and some go as high as 3ghz+ :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the info, Nice deal but I have to have 2 IDE channels, I have a closet full of drives I want to put to use
budzos

Good advice. I have always used over clocking to get the best bang for the buck. The Biostar TForce series motherboards are great for over clocking and inexpensive. They allow the CPU to be over clocked while leaving the RAM, PCI bus etc. at normal speeds. Plus, if you choose, you can over clock those items too.

I’m typing this post on a computer with a TForce board I picked up from Newegg as an open box item for $36 and an AMD Athlon 64 (2.2 ghz, 939 socket) CPU that cost me $50. With a $10 heat sink/fan I have it running 2.75 ghz completely stable. For less than $100 I upgraded an old Athlon XP 2600+ to be a very capable machine. Actually, it really only cost me $19 because I sold the old motherboard, CPU and heat sink/fan on ebay for $77. Now that is what I call a cheap upgrade.

maybe the TForce 6100 then. it has 2x IDE and integrated graphics to save some money for now, and a PCI-E slot so you can upgrade down the road if you need more GPU power :wink:

I ordered the original combo that I posted and I added this Video card to the mix

since it is able to be overclocked quite easily. I did order the retail version of the processor so I would get the heatsink/fan combo with it until I choose a suitable replacement for overclocking. Any tips on getting the most out of this setup would be appreciatted. Supposedly Abit will be releasing an updated bios for these Brisbane processors and the temp and voltage issues will be addressed
budzos

from what I’ve seen that video card should overclock nicely too, theres a chance that you can unlock 4 extra pipes with rivatuner, essentially making it a 6600 :cool:

for overclocking the CPU, you can probably get some nice clocks with the stock HSF since its 65nm and will run cooler than 90nm. You’ll need to lower the HT multi to keep the HT bus under 1000 (there’s no performance loss as long as its over 600) also you’ll probably need to use a memory divider to keep your ram stable. other than that, I wouldn’t run more than 1.45v on the stock cooler, and even that might be pushing it a little

QUOTE=jwill427]from what I’ve seen that video card should overclock nicely too, theres a chance that you can unlock 4 extra pipes with rivatuner, essentially making it a 6600 :cool:

for overclocking the CPU, you can probably get some nice clocks with the stock HSF since its 65nm and will run cooler than 90nm. You’ll need to lower the HT multi to keep the HT bus under 1000 (there’s no performance loss as long as its over 600) also you’ll probably need to use a memory divider to keep your ram stable. other than that, I wouldn’t run more than 1.45v on the stock cooler, and even that might be pushing it a little[/QUOTE]

I was reading on some of the overclocking forums that they were getting easy overclocks to 3.0ghz and above. I only hope I am so lucky. If I actually get the video card the egg shows in the picture I should be able to unlock the other 4 pipes and I have already downloaded Rivatuner. I am hoping that the new bios for the motherboard is released soon so I can monitor the actual temps while I am overclocking otherwise its kind of a crap shoot, although it is a cool running chip.
budzos

you should be able to use coretemp to read the temps right off the diode in the CPU (I think coretemp works with Brisbane, but I’m not 100% sure)

that will be one killer budget rig if you get 3ghz and 8 pipes :cool:

That was the goal anyway, I just hope I can make it all come together. There seems to be a lot of success stories out there with this processor and I would love to add mine to the list.
budzos

I just thought I would post an update, I’m up to 2.5ghz so far and I haven’t even overclocked my video card yet. The price on the processor has dropped even lower.
If you are looking for a deal this chip could be a good X2 to shoot for at $65.00
I think I am gonna order another just for grins.
Budzos