AMD AM2 Stock Cooler CPU Paste vs Thermalright CPU Paste?

vbimport

Hi ,

I just bought :-

Motherboard - Asustek AM2 790FX DDR2 ATX Audio Lan VGA WIFI :slight_smile:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ AM2 3.2GHz - Black Edition :slight_smile:

I was wondering I have a Brand new syringe of Thermalright CPU Paste , it has enough paste to apply to about 30 CPU,s .

Would this Paste be better than the Stock Coolers paste ? :rolleyes:

Im buying a new Cooler in about 2 weeks , im waiting to get enough money to but a really good one .

[ P.S. I abandoned the whole Intel Setup , My nightmare is over . ] :slight_smile:

The Thermalright CPU Paste is probably better than the stock HSF’s stuff. I can’t say for sure however because I have no experience with either of them. I personally would just leave the stock stuff on. Unless there is something wrong with the application of thermal pastes, you probably won’t see more that a couple of degrees difference between them.

I have no personal experience with this HSF, but it has very comparable performace compared with much more expensive heatsinks.

Review from Frostytech, [B]THE[/B] source for HSF reviews
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=4

The Thermalrights which everybody recommends have concave bases many times and requires lapping in order to get ideal contact with the CPU.

[QUOTE=Markuk26;1993491]Hi ,

I just bought :-

Motherboard - Asustek AM2 790FX DDR2 ATX Audio Lan VGA WIFI :slight_smile:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ AM2 3.2GHz - Black Edition :slight_smile:

I was wondering I have a Brand new syringe of Thermalright CPU Paste , it has enough paste to apply to about 30 CPU,s .

Would this Paste be better than the Stock Coolers paste ? :rolleyes:

Im buying a new Cooler in about 2 weeks , im waiting to get enough money to but a really good one .

[ P.S. I abandoned the whole Intel Setup , My nightmare is over . ] :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, the thermalright is probably better than the stock amd paste. Clean the old stuff off with isopropyl alcohol.

A stock amd cooler might not do such a good job on a 3.2Ghz black edition, since its temporary you should be okay. I wouldn’t OC until your’ve got new cooling on.

i use ‘Arctic Silver 5’ thermal paste ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007 ) myself and so do alot of other people. in general, this is praised as some of the best Thermal Paste you can get :wink:

and like they said above… i would use a razor (be carefull not to gouge the surface) to scrap off the old (original) thermal paste and then use ‘isopropyl alcohol’ to clean surface and then apply about a BB sized amount of the artic silver 5 thermal paste in the center of the CPU itself and then connect heatsink etc etc :wink:

this is what i did and it worked good and i did this on my very very first attempt of a CPU ever back in March 2006 on a AMD Athlon 3500+ CPU (i used stock heatsink and fan) and my temps are generally around 38-40c ish (close to 40c lately (at a idle) or a hair more cause of dust build up on heatsink over the past year or so) which is well within safe range :wink: … although as of right this moment i have about 43-44C but ill bet once i blow off the CPU’s heatsink it will drop a couple of C :wink:

me personally i think hardest part of CPU install by far is clamping the heatsink lever down cause it requires a mass ammount of thumb pressure to the point where you swear something is going to break lol … CPU installs are still the only thing i dont feel comfortable with when messing with the insides of a PC in general.

Yeah i’ve ordered AS5 to put on my new AM2 cooler .

My CPU temps are about 50/53 Celsius so i think i’ll swap to the thermalright paste

Cheers

I seriously nice cooler for that CPU since it is a 125w proc. would be this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102. It’s the highest rated air cooler that Maximum PC has ever tested, and when I had it on my overclocked FX-60 which is a very hot chip natively it had around a 45C temp fully loaded. A cheaper but efficient solution would would also be this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125. It is a good cooler but is $40 cheaper. My FX-60 is running around 55C currently with this one.