AMD 64bit vs. P4 w/HT?

vbimport

So, im thinking of buying a new computer instead of building my own so i checked out the local Frys. This guy tried to sell me an AMD 64bit 3300+ HP system… he said it was better than the sony vaio 3ghz w/ht… is that true? Are 64 bit AMDs better than P4 w/HT? thanks inadvance!

For AMD, Venice.

For Intel, Pentium D 820.

It’s more difficult to compare Intel and AMD directly.

It depends what you want to do with it. Basically for Games AMD. Encoding Intel. That is obviously in very general terms.

Motherboards, HDDs, graphic cards, ODDs, coolers… and other factors are also related. To use Nvidia chipset boards, AMD. To use Intel chipset boards, Intel.

Right now the differences would be so minor that it would be nearly impossible for you to tell the difference without running software tests that show results in milliseconds. As 64bit software becomes available, I would guess that the AMD would edge slightly ahead. If you want to see some real tests, look here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=770ct479&page=2&cookie_test=1

If that’s a northwood chip, keep it until it breaks!!! It doesn’t get much better than a northwood P4 3GHZ in a laptop with hyperthreading. Northwoods have 512k cache, and run a LOT cooler than prescHOTs. My brother’s laptop shuts down on him from heat!!! It’s a 3 ghz prescHOT, with an ATI chipset :Z . If yours is an intel chipset and a northwood, it’s a VERY nice laptop. You can find this info out with a program called CPUZ @ cpuid.com. It will tell you what chipset you have, the core type of the processor, the stepping, and memory specs. Until things get heavy into 64 bit, keep your machine, unless it’s a preschot. Then ditch it while it’s still worth something!!! I dunno who the bone job was that decided to ditch the northwood line @ intel in favor of prescHOTs, but they need a swat right up side the head. Especially with prescHOTs in laptops!!! How the heck do you expect a lappie to get rid of 89w of heat??? They run waaaaaayyyyy too hot, and kill batteries like mad. Plus they don’t perform as good as the woodies, especially considering they’re operating throttled from overheating half the time!! You might as well have a 1.5 ghz chip, because there’s no way to keep it cool enough under load to keep it from throttling! GARBAGE, intel prescHOT based laptops are JUNK! Enough ranting, if you’ve got a northwood, keep it until it dies! Allthough sony likes to use SiS cheapsets, but they’re usually OK. Some of them are real duds though. I dunno about laptops, they might use intel, I HOPE. :iagree:

FYI, there’s only one AMD 3300+ and that’s a Sempron, not Athlon 64…Therefore not 64bit capable…Capish?
http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-229&depa=0

A 3GHz P4 will smoke any Sempron ALL benchmarks, gaming and video encoding included.

FYI, Intel Prescott is also 64bit.

And how did this turn into a notebook/laptop discussion?
As usual, we can always count on you to offer opinions…What will this place be without you.

Using a Northwood in a laptop is just as stupid as using a Prescott in one.
Pentium M >>> Both.

Maybe you should click on the link in my post and check the benchmarks… Like I said. The difference is in milliseconds… For a one hour encode, there might be a minute of difference between systems.

Maybe YOU should try reading your post I quoted and my response again before replying.

AMD and Intel use the SAME 64bit instruction set.
Therefore, you won’t see a performance gain with AMD over Intel(or vice versa) in 64bit applications.
Any differences experienced in 64bit applications will purely be based on architectural differences and not “64 bits” because they have the same x86-64 instruction set.

First of all, not all 3ghz preschots are 64 bit, in fact, I doubt the sony vaio ever used a 64 bit preschot CPU. Second, I thought it was a notebook he was talking about, and northwood based notebooks are very nice units. They have lower core voltages, and less power consumption than the desktop chips, so they run a lot cooler. Sow how is that just as stupid as using a preschot in one??? But never mind any of that because it’s not a notebook, I misread the post! Third, I thought this dude was asking for opinions, so I gave mine, and it still stands! If that puter has a northwood chip, use it until it dies. Fourth, stop being such a dildoid!

You’d actually be getting worse performance if that really is a sempron, so I’d stick with what you’ve got. Don’t upgrade until you need a 64 bit CPU, and your puter won’t do what you need it to do. When you do upgrade, try to do it before the trusted computing crap is forced down our throats!! The X2 chips are going to be the last before we all get hosed with big brother in our machines! :iagree:

I have a 3.0ghz 1mb cache prescott processor, how can I tell if its a 64bit? I never knew that some prescotts were 64bit!!!

Every Prescott after Aug. 2004 has been 64bit. Unless you bought one between the 2 month period of June 2004-1st week Aug. 2004, or bought it used or refurbished off Ebay or some other site chances of getting a non-64bit prescott is pretty rare.

northwood based notebooks are very nice units. They have lower core voltages, and less power consumption than the desktop chips, so they run a lot cooler. Sow how is that just as stupid as using a preschot in one???

Ever heard of a Pentium M?

Fourth, stop being such a dildoid!

Nope.

Look at the 1st chart to see where you belong.

All the 2MB cache versions are 64bit.
All 1MB cache versions labelled with an “F” ex: 3.20F, 3.40F, and 3.60F are 64bit.
Socket 478 Prescotts are not 64bit.

My conclusion is, yours isn’t 64bit…But you can have others to crosscheck, I may be wrong.

Ok, the ONLY 3 GHZ prescHOT that suports the EMT 64 is the 630. So, before you spout off your ignorance, take a half a second to look up what you don’t know! Every time you do this, you put your foot in your mouth, so how does that toe jam taste?? Must be pretty good because you keep doing it!

Intel’s 3 GHZ chips compared
:stuck_out_tongue: :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue: :iagree:

Umm…How about before posting your ignorance you take half a second to read my post above yours and look at the chart I mentioned. It already mentioned what’s 64bit and what isn’t.

And I was still correct. The 530 was done before August, and the 630 was done after August.

Every time you do this, you put your foot in your mouth, so how does that toe jam taste?? Must be pretty good because you keep doing it!

You seem to be doing it. I should be asking you that question.

What am I doing arguing with somebody that can’t read?!?!? Ok, where is ANY OTHER 3 GHZ P4 THAT SUPPORTS 64 BIT??? There isn’t one!!! They never made a 3.0F, just a 3.2F 3.4F, & 3.6F! You can still buy the 5XX series, and the 478 chips. So read your own dang chart as soon as your foot is out of the way! :stuck_out_tongue:

Why is someone who can’t read arguing with me?

Where in my posts did I say there was more than “1” 3GHz P4 that supports 64bit?
Where in my posts did I mention a 3.0F?

Read all my previous posts as soon as you find your glasses.

EDIT
If you’ve never taken an eye test before, now would be an appropriate time for you to do so. :iagree:

Man, you just keep going, energizer brain fart! Well, if that doesn’t imply that you meant there was more than one 64 bit 3 ghz preschot, I don’t know what does. The fact is they aren’t rare, and there is a pretty good chance that IF it is indeed a preschot, it is only 32 bit! You made a blanket statement that intel prescott is 64 bit, not some prescotts, not 6XX series with 2mb cache, you meant all! That’s supposed to be clear enough that you meant only 6XX series after august 2004 are? WTF, it’s obvious you meant all prescotts were 64 bit, and when it was pointed out they weren’t you decided to go look it up. Then come back with a clarification to try to prove you weren’t wrong! So then you say that everything after august 2004 is 64 bit, and the 32 bit chips are rare. Then I point out that was also incorrect, they are far from rare, and you come back to say I knew that, bla bla bla! Quit back paddling, your statements were incorrect, and you still keep trying to correct yourself! Who cares when they started only making the 64 bit chips, they still sell the 32 bit junk. Also, where does it say anywhere that intel stopped making the 5XX series chips??? I don’t think they did, because they’re still very common. I think they still even make 478 preschots! So you show me where you got this info that every prescott made after august 2004 is 64 bit. I seriously doubt that! I think all the dermatofites in your toejam have attacked your brain! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m done with this, you’ll just backpaddle some more, and prove your ignorance even further. Maybe it’s the THC killed your short term memory, and you can’t remember what you posted for more than a couple minutes. Whatever the cause, you made some incorrect statements, and got your panties in a bunch when you were corrected. Grow up, and just admit you made a minor mistake, instead of making a big deal out of your mistake! And don’t jump on others for making a mistake, you’ve been a total peckerhead to me since the first post I made in this thread. Suprise suprise, you got it right back! So enough arguing, this is stupid, it’s not getting anywhere!

You seem to forgetting this post I made here when answering the guy question about 64bit…
After seeing that post you still continue pointless arguments and trying to prove that I said there were more than one 3GHz prescott with 64bit, and you effortly waste your time trying to prove me wrong.

http://www.intel.com/products/proce...tium4/index.htm

Look at the 1st chart to see where you belong.

All the 2MB cache versions are 64bit.
All 1MB cache versions labelled with an “F” ex: 3.20F, 3.40F, and 3.60F are 64bit.
Socket 478 Prescotts are not 64bit.

My conclusion is, yours isn’t 64bit…But you can have others to crosscheck, I may be wrong.

Does that post say there are more than one 3GHz 64bit version? Does that post mention a 3.0F?
Quit trying to put words I never said into my mouth.
Notice that I said he’s CPU “wasn’t” 64bit.

And as to the after “August” part, I was talking about when they were released, not manufactured…Big difference.
I never meant to imply that they’ve stopped manufacture on anything.
Where in my post did I say they stopped making 5XX chips? Nowhere!.
I’ve said it and I’ll say it again. I was talking about release date, not manufacture. And by “release date” I mean when the product was first announced/released, not when it was released after manufactured.
Go to any standard hardware review site, and you’ll see the only non-64bit prescott they reviewed after August was the 570J and Expensive Edition.

Sorry if my posts didn’t sound exactly the way you want it to sound.

Just ignore the ranting and ravings of the junior member. Like I said. If you look at the actual performance tests done by the gaming web site, you will see that most differences between many different machines are only fractions of seconds. If you are trying to impress people with fast benchmarks, then get the fastest. But if you just want to play games and have a good working machine, it doesn’t really matter a whole lot. You are talking a matter of minutes in difference when encoding a large file. The human eye and mind can only handle a certain number of frames per second (can’t remember the exact figure, but seems like it is 60). So it doesn’t do any good to be able to hit 180 frames per second when running a game. It’s all just for bragging rights.