AMD 64 proc's which one?

All right I just lost it.

Which AMD proc is the fastest??

The AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (2,2Ghz, 1Mb L2 cache)
The AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 (2,2Ghz, 1Mb L2 cache)
The AMD Opteron 246 (2,0GHz, 1MB L2 cache)

For which one should someone go … it isn’t really clear.

And there was something about single/dual memory controllers? :confused:

The Opteron and the FX CPU are equal and thus equally fast. The only difference is that the FX lacks one pin (and so it can operate without ECC memory) and can’t be used in multiCPU systems.

The difference between the two consumer CPU’s, the Athlon 64 and the Athlon FX series differ quite some in performance. For now, the only difference between the FX and the 64 is the capability for dual channel memory (FX feature). In the near future, there will be versions of the Athlon 64 with less cache on die (lower performance, lower price).

For now, the fastest AMD consumer CPU is the FX 51. It performs about equal to the Intel P4-EE @ 3,2Ghz, but comes for about €200 cheaper. Most probably, the AMD CPU will beat the Intel P4-EE pretty soon, as more X86-64 programs will come available (those’d really make use of the potential of this chip).

All right, so if you wnat a new proc (and hav ethe money for it) you should go for the AMD Athlon 64 FX51 (or 53 when it’s out) which is capable with dual channel memory.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]All right, so if you wnat a new proc (and hav ethe money for it) you should go for the AMD Athlon 64 FX51 (or 53 when it’s out) which is capable with dual channel memory.

Thanks. [/B]

Yes yes yes… couldn’t have said it better :slight_smile:

Major update:

AMD just announced that as soon as the Athlon 64 CPU moves to the socket 939 platform (that’ll be in a couple of months), both the 64 and the FX will be dual channel CPU’s. The only difference will be the amount of cache (64-512KB FX-1024KB).

So here’s my advice: never buy a socket 754 mainboard, as they’ll be obsolote pretty fast…

Where did you get this information? I was just thinking about buying an Athlon64, but if they will soon all be Dual Channel, I consider waiting a little longer.

Originally posted by Liggy
Where did you get this information? I was just thinking about buying an Athlon64, but if they will soon all be Dual Channel, I consider waiting a little longer.

I found it on some Dutch page, so I don’t think you can read that… but…I found another link to a newsposting by the Enquirer that says the same (yeah I know that the Enquirer ain’t the most trusted newssite around but as this news has been confirmed by several other sources (I was told), I think we can consider this for real). AMD already stated something like this in the past, I guess this is the confirmation…

Thanks for the link, but I would even dare and try to read the Dutch page. German and Dutch are a little similar. And if that doesn’t help - a friend of mine is Dutch. I guess I will find ways to make him translate the article for me. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Liggy
Thanks for the link, but I would even dare and try to read the Dutch page. German and Dutch are a little similar. And if that doesn’t help - a friend of mine is Dutch. I guess I will find ways to make him translate the article for me. :bigsmile:

Ok… go here!

currently both opterons and fx 64s need ECC memory which is costly but some time in the new year the fx platform will lose 1 pin and will be able to use non ECC memory also as stated athlon 64 will become dual channel so both the fx and normal 64s will need new motherboards.

Also in my honest opinion the chipsets arnt developed enough for me to buy 64 yet as nforce 3 chipset has a crippled hypertransport which is working at only half speed so its losing out to via chipset in tests but via hasnt got locked pci/agp so overclocking is limited and also im loath to buy via chipsets after past problems. i.e 4-1 driver bugs. Will wait for sis solution as refrence board reviews look good and also nvidia are working on second generation nforce 3 with full bandwidth hypertransport.

so unless youve got loads of money i would wait for amd to finalise pin layout of the chips so when you buy motherboard you know that its got a future upgrade path.

Originally posted by KillemHall
[B]currently both opterons and fx 64s need ECC memory which is costly but some time in the new year the fx platform will lose 1 pin and will be able to use non ECC memory also as stated athlon 64 will become dual channel so both the fx and normal 64s will need new motherboards.

Also in my honest opinion the chipsets arnt developed enough for me to buy 64 yet as nforce 3 chipset has a crippled hypertransport which is working at only half speed so its losing out to via chipset in tests but via hasnt got locked pci/agp so overclocking is limited and also im loath to buy via chipsets after past problems. i.e 4-1 driver bugs. Will wait for sis solution as refrence board reviews look good and also nvidia are working on second generation nforce 3 with full bandwidth hypertransport.

so unless youve got loads of money i would wait for amd to finalise pin layout of the chips so when you buy motherboard you know that its got a future upgrade path. [/B]

AFAIK, the FX already can make use of non-ECC memory? Can you perhaps provide me some sources, as I’m getting kinda curious now…

About the chipsets: it seems that the VIA chipsets are very good. It isn’t that strange, as the chipsets were ready more than a year before the launch of the first AMD 64 (Opteron). I think they’ve had more than enough time to make a good chipset. Accoring to every review I read, the VIA chipsets are just good… nothing more nothing less…

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1901

This is just one of sites i got my info from

Also via is ment to perform well but as i said i wont buy via as they have problems with drivers going back a long time and just last week they released a new version of there 4-1 drivers that killed peoples machines.

UPDATE my mistake the fx dosnt require ECC but does require registered memory.