Amazon DVD+rdl blank discs

vbimport

I see on Amazon a 50 pack spindle of DVD+rdl blank discs. for sale. (see attachment) Has anyone used this brand and if so are they ok? :bigsmile:

Hello deezalboy :slight_smile:

I remembered reading something here on the forums about those discs, so I searched our Blank Media forum, and found this thread.

Also, be sure to take a look at the link in the last post of that thread, which provides further info about the discs. :wink:

[B]Thank You Arachne. There`s no positive recommendations for the Amazon discs in that thread is there? [/B] :bigsmile:

Doesn’t seem like it! I wouldn’t take the risk, personally :wink:

Thanks again. Do you know anything about “Memorex” $35.00 for 50 spindle on Amazon? (See attached) :

[img=http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1241/memorex.jpg]

Hmmm, thing with Memorex is pretty much the same as the Amazon ones, I think - no matter what medicode they have, quality may not be as consistent as with better discs. One or two discs could burn beautifully, and the rest burn horribly, or vice-versa.

Of course, some burners are more tolerant of non-Verbatim/MKM DLs than others, so if you mention the model of burner that you have we could probably help a bit more. :slight_smile:

You can give them a go, but as always, with any DL disc that isn’t Verbatim branded, you pays your money and you takes your chances :slight_smile:

[B]Ive had reports from other people that these discs are ok. However, they dont ship this type of item to Australia. [/B] :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2469267][B]Ive had reports from other people that these discs are ok. However, they dont ship this type of item to Australia. [/B] :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Sod’s Law eh? :doh:

[B][I]The following is an independent rating in Amazon. This and other comments can be found under “more buying choices” in the selling details>>"Dual Layer DVD’s are harder and harder to find. It’s almost impossible to find them on sale anywhere. I was excited when Amazon introduced this Baiscs program and included Dual Layer discs in the mix.

The discs do not disappoint. A spindle of 50 arrived in a nice neat cardboard box. The packaging was easy to open, except for destroying the packing slip while opening. The spindle is a ‘cake box’ type, and it seals up very nicely. The outer shrink wrap is clear plastic. The DVD+R DL you see in the picture is a paper wrapper around the discs inside. Fortunately the DVD+ DL words are printed large and in dark black ink on a silver background on each disc, and the cake box is crystal clear. If this hadn’t been the case, it would be extremely difficult to identify which discs are inside (I have spindles of four different single layer manufacturers, and two other dual layers).

The first question I had, do they burn at 8X and do they work? Well a good solid resounding yes they do burn at the published speed. They do work well. They are not a magic silver bullet. I have a DVD player that refuses to play any dual layer discs; I’ve tried Sony, Verbatim, Memorex, and now Amazon Basics - none work at all on this player. However, the Basics disc does play in players that are happy with dual layer discs.

The critical question everyone should have on their mind - the manufacturer. Pretty simple to fire up DVD Identifier; and voila RicohJPND01, revision 067. That should make everyone fairly happy. They fall exactly in the class of DVD blanks with Sony and Memorex - dual layers (the Sonys I have were moserbaerIndiaMBIG101’s), not the first class grouping.

I’m very pleased with these discs. Any time I can find Dual Layer discs for under one dollar each, I’m happy. These fit into a very sweet spot of media quality and price per disc. If you need dual layers, this is a good place to purchase.

September 28, 2009 - Burn number 10, not a single flaw yet. No failures, no disc problems. For the record, my two DVD burners are under 1 year old, with current firmware, and are both manufactured by TSST corportation, Models S203N and S223Q, Samsung burners. Product links for my burners: 20X DVDRW DVD Burner - Black SATA, and Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBS Internal Half Height Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe DVD-Writable Drive" Other comments differ
[/I][/B]Comment

Samsung drives (that I’ve used - SH-S182D, SH-S183A, SH-S203N & SH-S223F) are very tolerant of media quality, so the comment above isn’t that shocking, my 223F even burns RICOHJPN D01-067 very nicely at 6x, with flawless playback. :slight_smile:

However, how long the discs will last as opposed to something like Verbatim DLs, only time will tell. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2470236]However, how long the discs will last as opposed to something like Verbatim DLs, only time will tell. ;)[/QUOTE]thats the key :slight_smile:

Samsung drives (that I've used - SH-S182D, SH-S183A, SH-S203N & SH-S223F) are very tolerant of media quality, so the comment above isn't that shocking, my 223F even burns RICOHJPN D01-067 very nicely at 6x, with flawless playback.

However, how long the discs will last as opposed to something like Verbatim DLs, only time will tell. 

[B]Are you saying the burned content could go off the disc in time? [/B] :bigsmile:

^Yes. The data will degrade on those disks as with all optical media using organic dyes. How long they last is the real question.

Verbatim DL are made using a different process, and are the gold standard for double layer disks, though they too will eventually degrade. We have just seen quite a few problems with DL media produced by inverse stack technology.