Amazon AutoRip gives your free MP3 versions of your (old) CDs

vbimport

Amazon AutoRip gives your free MP3 versions of your (old) CDs.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/01/YJfaQn.jpg[/newsimage]Amazon has introduced a new service, where if you buy a physical CD, a digital version will become available to you too.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/amazon-autorip-gives-your-free-mp3-versions-of-your-old-cds-65787/](http://www.myce.com/news/amazon-autorip-gives-your-free-mp3-versions-of-your-old-cds-65787/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s pretty sweet for people who either don’t want to do their own ripping, just can’t wait. Of course I’m betting the cost of CD’s will rise as a result.

This may also come in handy for badly scratched CDs, as long as the disc can still be recognised by the AutoRip service.

From what I can see, this could also boost physical CD sales again, at least on Amazon, as a CD purchase would give the best of both formats - MP3s you can instantly start downloading after purchase and a physical disc for those (like me) who prefer to receive a physical item with a purchase.

It would be nice if Amazon did this for its books also, where customers get a free kindle edition for every physical book they purchase.

It would be nice if FLAC was adopted a bit more. MP3’s have been around for about 15 years now and were necessary because of the limitations of space. Flash Media/Hard Drives are much bigger now. It’s pretty cool they are doing this as it would cut out half my work. When ever I buy a cd I rip a flac copy for my portable music player and home stereo and an mp3 copy for the car.

[QUOTE=Zod;2673650]It would be nice if FLAC was adopted a bit more. MP3’s have been around for about 15 years now and were necessary because of the limitations of space. Flash Media/Hard Drives are much bigger now. It’s pretty cool they are doing this as it would cut out half my work. When ever I buy a cd I rip a flac copy for my portable music player and home stereo and an mp3 copy for the car.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more, Zod. It’s time to kick MP3 to the curb and fully embrace a higher-bitrate digital audio format.

[QUOTE=Seán;2673618]This may also come in handy for badly scratched CDs, as long as the disc can still be recognised by the AutoRip service…[/QUOTE]

The company states on its website that MP3 versions of tracks from CDs purchased from Amazon since 1998 will also be available

It looks like you can only get CDs that were purchased through Amazon and they probably just go by your purchase history.

Got an email from Amazon this AM and every CD I ever purchased from them is now in my Cloud player and I can pull them down. I guess it is kind of a nice gesture. FLAC would be better, but it get’s no backing from the greedy corporations that seek to bleed consumers of every last penny.

I’ve got a few CDs that I’ve bought from Amazon over the years, and I would love to see all of those converted to Mp3 or even FLAC in the future.

And if you sold a CD in the meantime you can still listen to the MP3s. Nice one :slight_smile:

On one hand this is for those who can’t figure out how to set up the EAC+Lame+FreeDB combo and do it themselves. On the other hand, with the really nice audio hardware on the new Kindles, having all this in the Amazon cloud could make your MP3 player superfluous and will certainly boost sales of CDs and Kindles for Amazon. On the gripping hand, my handheld MP3 is required for all the places I listen to music most: car, beach, campsite, yard party. No wi-fi, no internet, no cloud.