AM4 Boards are out!

BIOSTAR drew first blood.

So excited AMD finally got something that brings back real competition.
AM3+ and FM2’s are both garbage. The last AMD processor I owned was Phenom II.

I do hope to see AMD back on the game, especially if their CPUs can compete with the current CPUs from intel.
it would be an interesting fight.

I do too. Almost all of my boxes were AMD based until Intel finally had the upper hand and I got a few good deals. My builder friend says that new chip MIGHT be just what they need to probably be back on par if not beat Intel again. My old box is a Hex core AMD, newest one is a I7980 hex core that just blows my nice AMD out of the water even though both of them are out of date now. Buddy built the new one for my help putting a roof on his house and doing some of the chimney flashing work.
He was saying we already need to update but even as old as it is this thing flies.
I hope they get ahead again as I always liked their great bang per buck CPU’s and they were even faster and cheaper for a while.

[QUOTE=vroom;2788523]I do hope to see AMD back on the game, especially if their CPUs can compete with the current CPUs from intel.
it would be an interesting fight.[/QUOTE]

It’s been too long and I think AMD wasted a lot of time promoting APU’s. APU’s are good for budget builders but there are a lot enthusiasts who wants pure CPU power.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2788549]I do too. Almost all of my boxes were AMD based until Intel finally had the upper hand and I got a few good deals. My builder friend says that new chip MIGHT be just what they need to probably be back on par if not beat Intel again. My old box is a Hex core AMD, newest one is a I7980 hex core that just blows my nice AMD out of the water even though both of them are out of date now. Buddy built the new one for my help putting a roof on his house and doing some of the chimney flashing work.
He was saying we already need to update but even as old as it is this thing flies.
I hope they get ahead again as I always liked their great bang per buck CPU’s and they were even faster and cheaper for a while.[/QUOTE]

The last one I owned was a Phenom II 555 BE. Those were the days where everyone was crazy unlocking stuffs. I switched to Intel when the FX was released.

The good old days when phenom x6 CPU were the best value for money, i rememebr those days and I got very close to buy one of them, but… intel won me :o

AMD’s APU’s were very good, low price and also very good graphics, for what you paid you got a very good system, but most people choose to get intel, I can only guess that Intel had a much better marketing department.

The problem was the poor performance of their AM3 CPU’s (bulldozer is one example) and also the fact that the product could not keep up with the four core intel CPU.

Fingers crossed ryzen will bring back the good AMD that most of us loved.

Now that unofficial benchmmarks are everywhere, High-end Ryzen performance looks promising. Well, I’m looking forward to their R5’s since that’s the only thing I could afford. Will wait for the reviews, I’m pretty sure Club Myce will have one.

I still have my old Phenom II 940BE (it gets little love these days)… My current rig is quite dated with an i7-2600K. Pulled the trigger on an R7-1800X and X370 MB. I was going to go with a i7-7700K, but something told me to wait. Not sure if I will change my mind and cancel my pre-order or not, but I have high hopes for a competitive market again. I don’t dislike Intel, just not a fan of their prices as I wanted an enthusiast i7-6900K, but not at that price. The MB’s are too expensive too. I hope the hype is real.

As far as I know there want be any reviews on the new AMD ryzen, unless some magic happen and magically we end up with a CPU and a motherboard.

The 2600K has started to show its age, now its only good for very basic tasks, and if you do that it still has some life, but if you do anything more demanding, then upgrading a the best thing that you can do.

R7-1800X looks very impressive, but we are only one day away form the first reviews, so very soon we will know what they can do.

Intels pricing was the result of not having any real competition, now if AMD managed to make a competitive CPU, I am sure that at some point intel will have to change their pricinga and I dont expect them to cut prices in half, but lower so that they can be still priced higher than the AMD but more closer, especially for their six and eight core CPUs.

We all hope so. At the end of the day, it’s the consumer’s victory from such competition.

May the magic be with you. I could share my experience here once I’ve purchase mine.

I agree, AMD would target the mainstream that could beat an i5 but at a much lower price. I feel sad about the people who just bought their intel’s just recently.

I am looking forward to read about your experience with rizen.

I canceled my order 1800X/X370 order… too many reviews speak of memory issues, BIOS issues, etc. I am still excited about the possibility of it being successful. I May wait a few months as the BIOS and support for the platform matures.

If the issue is in the BIOS then soon this will be fixed. other than that I have to say that AMD managed to wind the price to performance battle, and from a very quick look that I had it also is very power efficient.
The only main negative its single thread performance, but on this test the 6xxx and the 7xxx CPUs dominate.

I think it will be a work in progress for the coming months with AMD and the board MFG’s. In time, I think it will get worked out. Gamers have been giving a lot of hate to Ryzen. It’s a new tech and it needs time to mature (this coming from a non-gamer). I just built a Kaby Lake rig, but once a lot of these EFI/BIOS issues get worked out for AMD and perhaps some Windows patching etc, my photo work will end up on a Ryzen rig come late summer. Kaby Lake does not wow me much… Yes, it’s better than the Sandy Bridge platform, but I want more cores for content creation and editing and Ryzen will fit the bill there for me in time and a much more attractive price. Looking forward to seeing AMD compete again… this is a good thing!

It will probably need a couple of BIOS updates before we can see the true potential of ryzen, but this will happen and some manufacturers will be first on the party some will be late.

Gamers??? if you are buying an eight core sixteen thread cpu to play games then they are doing something wrong, and up to a certain point this was also AMD;s fault because they spend a lot of time trying to promote them as gaming CPUs, but when it comes to productivity those ryzen CPUs are excellent value for money.

If i was ready to buy a new system I probably would have gone with the Ryzen 7 1700 its a great value for money, and spent all the money that I saved on a better graphics card.

There have been tests that temps are too high in bios and it’s own app ryzen master.
The 1700X idles at 65c.

New CPU new platform, it will take some time fro AMD to improve on all this.
As always good colling is a must, not just for the new AMD CPUs but also for the intel +6core CPUs.

AMD chip and motherboards are not very good overclockers, that said, just because its cheaper doesnt make it better. I thought about AMD but I am sticking with Intel for my next build.

Yes when it comes to overclocking its not the best, and everyone hopes that all those issues will be fixed when the next gen of ryzen CPU’s will be available.
Also keep in mind that not everyone wants to pay the premium for a 8c/16t CPU, motherboard combo, so for all those people ryzen and b350 or x370 is an excellent choice when it comes to value for money.

After I thought about this, I realized that most of my motherboards are Asus, and they have a auto overclocking mode. Have I tried to go higher, yes, was I comfortable with the temps , no. So Overclocking in todays motherboards is not that important anymore to me.