Am I the only one experiencing this?

Quite strange - Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of DVD Fab v6, it has been taking several hours to burn a single DVD. Before I upgraded, I could burn a dvd in less than 50 minutes, but now the latest is more than 10hrs and it is still not finish. I have not made any changes at all to my pC config except upgrade to the latest dvd fab v6.

It doesnt matter which dvd I try to burn, its the same average 10+ hrs …

I will like to know if others are experiencing this. Please use the poll option to vote.

thanks

Some people toggle PathPlayer on or off when having problems with DVDFab.
I mostly use another software for ripping & burning.
I will down load the latest DVDFab 6 sometime today & let you know how it does on a rip.
I use the free version so I can’t test how long a burn takes.

Dude check to see if your burner is in DMA mode, I think you will see that it is in PIO mode and that is your problem.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2308824]Dude check to see if your burner is in DMA mode, I think you will see that it is in PIO mode and that is your problem.[/QUOTE]

@ ~Jethro~ If you know does the DVDFab install change the burner setting to PIO ?
I ask since the OP said all was fine before the last install & he had made no setting changes to his PC.

DMA defaults to PIO as a result of read errors, so when he installed the new version whatever dvd he ripped first probably cause the error. Dirty or scratched disk would cause the read errors.

Thanks good to know.I’ve never had that happen but there’s always a first time.
I will try to remember to check that if I ever have a major slow down when burning.

Jethro’s advice is solid as always.
Definitely check the DMA status of your ODDs

The OS, aka Windows, is responsible for decreasing the rate of data transfer.
It will sequentially decrease the speed of data transfer as it encounters CRC errors (to a maximum of 6)…ultimately to PIO mode.

I don’t believe updating to new version of Fab will do anything in this regard.
In [B]Common Settings[/B], there is a button to [B]“Check for DMA Automatically” [/B], but I suspect this is simply a [I]notification [/I] of DMA status.

There is also a [B]Reset DMA[/B] button in Common Settings which frequently is effective.

In the event, the reset doesn’t work or the fix is only temporary, please run the VBS Script file here:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

My reads are always quick, between 5 and 20 minutes. My burns used to take between 5 and 10 minutes. [I]For the last 6 months or so the burns now take 10 to 20 minutes[/I]. Still, a total of 40 minutes tops is not bad at all for a full backup!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

It has to be some problem other than the DVDFab program. I’ve installed each update including beta’s and have not noticed any change in the speed of the rip or the burn (I use ImgBurn) More than likely it has changed to PIO. I’ve had it happen a few times after backing up an old scratched disc. Hope you find the problem and it works right for you. I do “main movie” most of the time and 20 minutes is a max for rip and about the same to burn. Usually less than that.

Normally the process takes less than 25 minutes on my current PC.

I built the PC Feb. 2009. I’m currently using two LiteOn iHAS120 DVD burners. I installed my older models in my kids’ PCs. I’m finding I have to reset DMA (more precisely I just reboot) every so often using these drives, when I rarely had a problem with my old ones. (LiteOn 815SX, LiteOn 1693S, and two LiteOn LH-20A1L drives). I might take the time to swap the 20A1Ls for these iHAS120s and see if that resolves the intermittent slow burns. Or maybe I should try DVDFab 5 a half dozen times or so, I don’t recall if I had this problem with any 5.x versions. I’m using Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB media from newegg, though that isn’t an issue.

Just a few minutes ago the read was stuck at ~2.94MB/s. I reset DMA, but didn’t reboot as prompted, but restarted DVDFab, and now it’s humming right along. Total Time Elapsed 00:12:53, Task Time Left 00:03:58. I thought a reboot was required to reset a drive’s DMA, since I only restarted DVDFab, maybe it’s something else that’s causing the intermittent slow burns, or is a reboot not required?

I never leave DVDFab running when it’s in granny gear, usually stop the process, close the program and just reboot.

Current burn of my son’s Code Geass Vol3 disc (main movie) total time of 16:39. If I left it stuck reading @ 2.94MB/s, it’d be ridiculous!

I had some time so I tested with version 6.0.2.2 this is a trial period over free version.
I used a commercial movie DVD named Pathfinder to do the test backups.
The first rip was DVD 9 & took 12 minutes.
The second rip was DVD 5 & took 14 minutes 9 seconds.
Since the free version doesn’t burn I didn’t test a burn.
Of course it’s not supposed to compress to DVD 5 either so I may do a test burn maybe it doesn’t know they trial period is over or should be.

jpnski +1…although I should note that I use ImgBurn for my burns.

I had the same issue with the burn engine, but then when I switched to Imgburn my burns were cut in half or close there to.

I use Fab to rip to ISO and Image burn to burn to disk.

rip= 5-7 mins
burn = 6 minutes burn
verify = 6 minutes
Total - 17-19 minutes for a [B]verified[/B] DVD.

edit

I have just reset my DMA and will try burning a dvd shortly. I will report back with my finding

[QUOTE=maineman;2308954]Jethro’s advice is solid as always.
Definitely check the DMA status of your ODDs

The OS, aka Windows, is responsible for decreasing the rate of data transfer.
It will sequentially decrease the speed of data transfer as it encounters CRC errors (to a maximum of 6)…ultimately to PIO mode.

I don’t believe updating to new version of Fab will do anything in this regard.
In [B]Common Settings[/B], there is a button to [B]“Check for DMA Automatically” [/B], but I suspect this is simply a [I]notification [/I] of DMA status.

There is also a [B]Reset DMA[/B] button in Common Settings which frequently is effective.

In the event, the reset doesn’t work or the fix is only temporary, please run the VBS Script file here:

http://winhlp.com/node/10[/QUOTE]

I can now report that there is considerable improvement in the burning time . I just clocked 31 minutes on a 6GB dvd. Hurray!

[QUOTE=afo;2310691]I can now report that there is considerable improvement in the burning time . I just clocked 31 minutes on a 6GB dvd. Hurray![/QUOTE]

What did you do to fix your issue? Did you reset the DMA?