Am I the only 1 with a noisy 40x?

vbimport

bought the 40x last week, it seems that everytime I put a cd in it starts spinning really loud then it it gradually slows speed and it gets little less noisey, but of all cd drives I owned this is the loudest. I know people really like liteons but....do you find yours to be a tad noisy?...... :wink:

thanks Liam

I feel my 40x is quieter on opening than my 24x and feels a bit more sturdy than 24102B…it even seems to me to quieter on the burns…

what was your previous burner…the Plex drives are very quiet…not good to compare a Liteon to a Plex IMHO on this

Use the Nero Drive Speed utility to slow the drives reading speed down to 8x instead of 48x (which will reduce the noise ALOT).

Liam,

I think the noise is relative. I just replaced a Sony 16x, which made a racket that was not to be believed. I replaced it with a Lite-On 32x, which I find to be incredible quiet

Hei,

I think there are people asking too much of computer equipment today. I have not heard this many complains like this for three years ago when CDplayere WERE NOISY as hell, not to mention HDD.

Staljin

Modred:

I think the noise is relative. I just replaced a Sony 16x, which made a racket that was not to be believed. I replaced it with a Lite-On 32x, which I find to be incredible quiet

The Sony is actually a Liteon - I own one :slight_smile: - so the comparison is not fair.

I bought a 32125W recently and upgraded to the 48x. In general, the drive noise while closing/opening the door remains the same. However, the newer model makes much less noise while spinning up or down.

Actually, the noise that bothered me was when the drive was reading a CD. In that respect, the drives where like night and day. Also, the Sony would continue spinning long after I had accessed the drive, while the Lite-On spins down fairly quickly. Some might find this to be desirable, but I didn’t. Sometimes, I would sit there doing something non-computer related and wonder when the damn cd was going to stop spinning. Wanted to make me commit an act of violance on the computer. Perhaps something was wrong with the Sony drive, but it was way too noisy. I do admit, though, to be a fanatic about quiet computers.

Noise from burning a cd and from the tray opening/closing was fine with both drives. Actually, the Sony tray made a whishing noise when opening and closing that I actually sort of liked.

Modred

I personally feel my Liteon 24102B is louder in all regards vs my Liteon 40125S converted to 48x…quiter opening/closing, burning etc…

Before buying the Lite-On 32x, I read a CDRLab review of the Lite-On 40x drive (see link below). The reviewer stated:

Lite-On’s previous drives have been fairly quiet when reading and writing. This time around though, the LTR-40125S is far from being an ultra-quiet drive…

Other than this one comment, the article gave the Lite-On a glowing review, and I’m sure that most people would want to purchase this drive. But, like I said in my earlier post, I’m a fanatic about quiet computers and the Lite-On 32x was a good choice for me.

===========================================================

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=109&page=Performance

Thanks for the replies and thanks Modred, the link to that article is on the point, i acually checked out 2 other 40x burners and they all are loud. So the article was right…I’ll propably still keep one…’
but thanks for the help
Liam