Am i really that stupid

vbimport

please help i am new to everything. i have two years worth of camcorder tapes to copy to dvd. i have a sony dcr-hc30e dv camcorder and a panasonic dmr es10. i have tried everything i know and everthing i dont but nothing works. i am trying to copy the tapes to dvd. i have tried usind dvd-ram which i have mastered but none of my family have panasonic dvd players so they cant play the dvds. i have tried using dvd-rw but it is not possible to edit after it has been copied to the dvd. the problem is that i have over 200 hours of recording so i cant sit through it all and stop and start to edit it. i have tried using windows movie maker with the comcorder but it is not possible to display the date and time on the finished product. the tapes are of my daughter and i do not want to forget in twenty years what date the recordings are from.

can anyone tell me is it possible to edit the disc once all recording is on it before finalisation. according to the instruction book editing is only avail with dvd-ram discs. if i was to buy another dvd recorder is it possible to edit the recording. i basically want to cut out a few minutes here and there where i have left the camcorder on whilst walking around the house. what i do not want to do is go out and spend more money to have the same problem with another dvd recorder. is it possible to record from camcorder to pc using another program other than windows movie maker which will display the date and time on the recording. most people do not want this on but i do.

sorry if i sound stupid, i probably am

Editing is easily done with most recorders that have a Hard Drive, as you can do all the editing on the Hard Drive to prepare it for the DVD before you burn to it. It’s not nearly as convenient or easy without a Hard Drive to work with. Another option for you would be to burn to DVD or DVD-RAM, then edit on your computer. Not many programs can handle DVD-RAM content properly though, but I think TMPGEnc DVD Author is one that does.

Back to the date/time thing, I wouldn’t personally want to do that as it cannot be removed. How about writing the dates on the disc or with the disc, or having a menu structure on the DVD for each Camcorder clip that lists the date it was filmed?

With the amount of stuff you have, I highly suggest you look at buying a friendly Video Editing Software package. What you will want, will depend on what you need to do. Here are some of your options.

If you want to do much editing of the video, I suggest you look at capturing it from your camcorder (via fireware), to your PC HD as DV-AVI or lossless AVI, make any edits, then encode and author to dvd. As far as DVD’s, I recommend using either +r or -R dvd’s (find out what your standalone players prefer), and use good quality media (Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim).

You can capture directly to MPEG2, but you will need MPEG editing software (and these are fairly limited), but available, and as long as you don’t need to do real extensive editing, will do just fine. If you need to edit after it is on DVD (MPEG2), you can always demux the video, make edits, then re-encode it and will only suffer a very minor quality loss (won’t notice it unless you have a large Hi-Def TV.)

Some good softwares to look are are:
For capture (VirtualVCR, VirtualDUBMOD, HUFFYUV)
Some good all in one’s (Ulead Studio 10, Adobe Premiere Elements, Vegas Movie Studio)
Then there are ton’s of indivual softwares which can be used for capturing, editing, encoding, authoring. Some folks like TMPGenc which is a good, decent priced software for encoding and authoring. Ask 20 different people, and you will get 20 different answers as to which is the best method. Most of them will do a great job for you. The only difference between a lot of them are the features, bells and whistles.

With the amount of stuff you have, I would highly recommend using Ulead Studio 10, Adobe Premiere Elements, or Vegas Movie Studio). If you watch, you can pick up any of the three of these for around $70.00 or less.

:cool: I use studio 10 alot and with the amount of video content you have this maybe the best way forward. Studio is easy enough to pick up and very user freindly. Just make sure you’ve lots of hard drive and a good processor so it can do background rendering whilst your working. It will save time waiting for the end product to render then burn

If you want to do much editing of the video, I suggest you look at capturing it from your camcorder (via fireware), to your PC HD as DV-AVI or lossless AVI, make any edits, then encode and author to dvd. As far as DVD’s, I recommend using either +r or -R dvd’s

thanks for the reply the best one yet. can you please explain how i do this. will i be able to display the date and time. what is fireware. what is dv-avi. will the ulead one help me to do this

If the date and time is displayed on your video, it should still be there when you capture (I think). Capturing with firewire, is using an iee1394 port on your computer, and using a firewire cable connected from that to your camcorder. Your capture software should ask you which format you want to capture in. If memory is correct, with Ulead Studio, you can capture as avi, DV-AVI, or mpeg2 (software).