Am I just paranoid?

Hello,

I burn a lot of music CDs and lately I’ve started to question the durability of my CD-Rs. I always assumed that all blank CDs are basically the same and all last for at least dozens of years. I didn’t worry about my music, I thought that when I had burned any disc that music is safe as long as I live. But after I’d seen this site and read several threads here I’ve started to worry about my discs… I don’t use top quality Cd-Rs but the music I burn is very important to me. I’d like to know if I worry for nothing or do I have reason for genuine concern for the discs.

My local stores don’t have a good selection of blank media and I mainly burn music to TDK “Life on Record” silver discs, made in China by CMC. I’ve burned more than 100 of those CD-Rs during the past month and out of that amount only 2-3 discs didn’t burn successfully. I don’t know if the CDs have any read errors but they all play fine in my stereo. But I’ve read on this site that blank media by CMC Magnetics Corporation is crap and basically no-one should use those discs. Is there a real threat that these CMC discs will stop working during the next few years? Even if I take good care of the discs, they won’t have any scratches or anything, they’re just gonna degrade on their own, lose data and five years from now I can’t play any of these CDs?

I have many CDs that were burned early in the 2000s, 7-8 years ago, and all of them play flawlessly. And I’m not aware that CD-Rs normally lose data quickly, I had never heard about that before I saw this site. No CD-Rs that I know are advertised as lasting longer than other CD-Rs, and when I ask about the longevity of blank media in some local store they say nothing about Cd-Rs degrading in a couple of years. Even so, this recent fear has stressed me so much that I’ve been thinking if I should stop collecting concerts completely - even though no CD of mine has ever stopped working! So I wonder if I’m just paranoid about this thing… I mean you guys are blank media freaks/nerds (I don’t mean that in a bad way), right? Perhaps your requirements for blank media are just much higher than is actually necessary for “regular” people?

In any case, I’d like to use as good quality blank discs as possible as I definitely want to file CDs well to my music archives. But unfortunately I can’t find any Japanese-made CD-Rs in my country. I’d like to buy Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs but I can’t; they’re not available in my country and I don’t know any online store that has genuine Taiyo Yudens and delivers here. I tried the British SVP store, but they don’t deliver to other countries. If someone knows a good online store that delivers Taiyo Yudens all over Europe, I’d appreciate the info. And if CMC discs really are crap and I can’t buy TY, what would be a better option for me?

And just out of curiosity I’d like to ask why aren’t blank CD-Rs and DVD-Rs made the same way as the “non-blank” music and movie CDs and DVDs that you can buy in any store? No-one doubts the longevity and quality of them so wouldn’t it be a good idea to use the same materials, same dye etc. for blank CD-Rs that CD factories use for regular music CDs?

Thanks for the help.

Some cd-r’s are more stable as others.

CMC isn’t the worst stuff out there. Yes the cyanine cd-r’s were terrible, but those haven’t been made for a long time.

I do recommend using TY cd-r
Simply because after all the time all my old TY cd-r’s are still good. I can not say that for most manufacturers.

Were to get TY

Nierle has TY and while not the cheapest store ( or the one with best support), they do ship to most EU countries.

If they don’t ship to your country then let us know in which country exactly you are so we should be able to help you.

With hard drives as economical as they’re getting why not back all your CD’s up to a TB HDD.

[QUOTE=Schinken;2281214]
And just out of curiosity I’d like to ask [B]why aren’t blank CD-Rs and DVD-Rs made the same way as the “non-blank” music and movie CDs and DVDs that you can buy in any store?[/B] No-one doubts the longevity and quality of them so wouldn’t it be a good idea to use the same materials, same dye etc. for blank CD-Rs that CD factories use for regular music CDs?

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

They are pressed discs unlike those DVD±R media you can buy for “GENUINE” burning.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2281232]Some cd-r’s are more stable as others.

CMC isn’t the worst stuff out there. Yes the cyanine cd-r’s were terrible, but those haven’t been made for a long time.

I do recommend using TY cd-r
Simply because after all the time all my old TY cd-r’s are still good. I can not say that for most manufacturers.

Were to get TY

Nierle has TY and while not the cheapest store ( or the one with best support), they do ship to most EU countries.

If they don’t ship to your country then let us know in which country exactly you are so we should be able to help you.[/QUOTE]

I looked at nierle.com and it was so cheap that I wonder if they’re selling fake TY. Can 100 genuine Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs really cost only 26 euros?

[QUOTE=chef;2281583]They are pressed discs unlike those DVD±R media you can buy for “GENUINE” burning.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand this answer. Why not press blank discs then?

[QUOTE=Schinken;2283724]I don’t understand this answer. Why not press blank discs then?[/QUOTE]

Pressed discs are physically “stamped” in one go to make the lands and pits; blank discs for “burning” using desktop drives utilize a laser to sequentially burn the lands and pits on the organic dye. You can’t use a store-bought “blank” like Verbatim CD-R for pressing and vice versa because the processes involved as well as the equipment required are different.

Hi,[QUOTE=Schinken;2283719]I looked at nierle.com and it was so cheap that I wonder if they’re selling fake TY. Can 100 genuine Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs really cost only 26 euros?[/QUOTE]Yes. And this is even rather expensive. I can get Verbatim Pastel CD-R (These are genuine TY) for 12 EUR/50 pcs locally. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2283754]Hi,Yes. And this is even rather expensive. I can get Verbatim Pastel CD-R (These are genuine TY) for 12 EUR/50 pcs locally. :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Shit, I wish I lived in Germany. Here, a 10-pack of those TDK/CMC discs that I use costs 8 euros, and as I’ve burned a little more than a hundred of those lately I’ve spent about 100 euros on blank discs. And those are by far the cheapest blanks I can buy; a 10-pack normally costs 10-15 euros and for example if I were to buy TDK’s Audio-only discs, 10 of those costs 20 euros. The way I see it, 26 euros is amazingly cheap for 100 blanks and it could never in a million years happen here.

So I guess I’ll try Nierle, even though I’ve read some horror stories about that shop.

No, you’re not paranoid, just curious and concerned about the quality of the CD-Rs that you are using.

There is an old saying that applies to just about most everything when people (not you) are concerned about pricing:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

I would recommend either Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs (watch out for the fakes though) or FALCON brand.

Another one to consider is MITSUI brand. Read the following quote:

MAM-A, Mitsui Advanced Media is a leading manufacturer of quality recordable CDs that has developed a reputation for quality that is un-equaled in the CD industry. Their patented Phthalocyanine (thalo-sy-a-neen) dye is at the core of their quality products. Mitsui makes all of its own discs and most of the component materials which go into its discs. The result is consistency and process control which no other manufacturer can equal. That’s why every Mitsui CD-R is warranted for life. No other CD-R media manufacturer offers a warranty of this strength.

Just google and you’ll find several sites that sell them.

Ok I received a 100-pack of Taiyo Yudens from Nierle. They came just wrapped in plastic, there’s no Made in Japan anywhere or even marking that the CDs are TY. The discs look genuine but I’d like to be sure, so do these codes on the discs mean that they’re real: JL869C0028280 in the hub and 80 PG3038 on the backside?

[QUOTE=Schinken;2293068]The discs look genuine but I’d like to be sure, so do these codes on the discs mean that they’re real: JL869C0028280 in the hub and 80 PG3038 on the backside?[/QUOTE]

They are genuine. :wink:

[QUOTE=pepst;2293069]They are genuine. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks.