Am I doing it correctly?

vbimport

Hello, i’m a long time reader, first time poster. I’ve just got a new comp with a new burner so this is my first time attempting to backup (with the new protections anyway).

After much reading, I think I know what i’m doing, i’ve attempted to backup a copy of Warcraft 3, it appears to work fine. I’ve tried installing/playing it on this burner (which is a Liteon 52x32x52), a DVD rom and an older Diamond Data burner which has been really worn through. All of them installed and played it besides the older Diamond Data burner which failed to run it.

The method I used was the following:

1. Made an image (CCD) using Alcohol v1.4.8 Build 1222, with ‘Skip Reading Errors’ and 'Read Sub-Channel Data enabled. Everything went through flawlessly, except with one read error near the end but I was told this was normal for Securom 4.8>.

2. I then made another image in .mds format using Alcohol (same version) with Data Position Measurement set to High, I did cancel it after I got the DPM info as I was told this was all I needed.

3. I then used BWA builder to convert the .mds file to .bwa.

4. I then used Twinpeak v0.2 to patch the CCD image with the .BWA file. I left everything on default, ie. twin sector step 15, 710MB.

5. Finally I used Alcohol (same version) to burn the CCD.

Is there anything I could have done (or could do) better or different? I want to be able to play the backup without any emulation. What does the twin sector step do exactly? I vaguely heard that the higher it is the faster it validates etc? Is this true and does setting it higher have a downside?

I’d also like to know about the “RMPS emulation” feature, it gave me an error when you get to the configuration screen (where you can select write method etc). The error was “No RMPS info in the source, you are not able to make a copy using this datatype!”. Does this mean anything to me? If I understand correctly enabling this option will mean I need some kind of emulation installed, which isn’t what I want correct?

Also about the backup not working with the Diamond Data burner (it installed fine but asked for the CD when attempting to play), could this be that the drive is just to old and crappy to read it? The Diamond Data was in a different PC, I thought maybe the only reason it worked on the comp i burnt it with was because of some kind of emulation but i tried it on a DVD-ROM on the computer with the Diamond Data and it worked fine. I then went further and tried it on a different computer with a different DVD-ROM and it worked fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi, you don’t mind if I make questions do you?

Warcraft 3 - Reign Of Chaos (English) SecuRom - 4.68.00.4608

1. All of them installed and played it besides the older Diamond Data burner which failed to run it.

That is because you WILL need an ATIP hider when playing from a burner.

2.Is there anything I could have done (or could do) better or different?

Making files made by a program with different programs doesn’t always turn up with a great result. MY advice would be to download a trial of CloneCD gasp, so you can get a proper image.

After that, download the Warcraft 3 BWA. With that, patch the image with twinpeaks. Then burn the image with CloneCD.

You will always need Alcohol’s Ignore Media Type, or CloneCD’s Hide CDR if playing from a writer. You cannot change that.

Of course an alternate way to copying is to make a SecuROM image with Alcohol, and then patch it with TwinCreator, found in A-Ray Scanner or Alcoholer

3.I’d also like to know about the “RMPS emulation” feature, it gave me an error when you get to the configuration screen (where you can select write method etc). The error was “No RMPS info in the source, you are not able to make a copy using this datatype!”. Does this mean anything to me? If I understand correctly enabling this option will mean I need some kind of emulation installed, which isn’t what I want correct?

RMPS emulation allows SecuROM copies to play with emulation. Your error means that it cannot find a SecuROM disc. RMPS emulation is a real pain in the @$$, and you shouldn’t really use it unless you don’t mind having Alcohol on while playing.

4.Also about the backup not working with the Diamond Data burner (it installed fine but asked for the CD when attempting to play), could this be that the drive is just to old and crappy to read it? The Diamond Data was in a different PC, I thought maybe the only reason it worked on the comp i burnt it with was because of some kind of emulation but i tried it on a DVD-ROM on the computer with the Diamond Data and it worked fine. I then went further and tried it on a different computer with a different DVD-ROM and it worked fine.

No, that wouldn’t be it. Read qu.1.

Hope this helps!:smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks a lot…Damn, protections have really advanced since the last time I backed up games.

You will always need Alcohol’s Ignore Media Type, or CloneCD’s Hide CDR if playing from a writer. You cannot change that.

How does this work exactly? Do I just need to have Alcohol installed to have this “Ignore Media Type” enabled? And does it apply to all backups or is it protection dependant (such as, its only needed for Securom 4.8>?). I’ve also been reading a bit about Blindwrites “autoplay” fuction, does this do the same thing as the “Ignore Media Type” option?

After that, download the Warcraft 3 BWA.

Can I make the BWA files myself using the BWA Builder?

I’ve also found out that as game patches are released some developers update their protections, this means that theres a chance that the backup will no longer work correct?

Thanks again, this info is very helpful.

>How does this work exactly? Do I just need to have Alcohol installed to have this “Ignore Media Type” enabled? And does it apply to all backups or is it protection dependant (such as, its only needed for Securom 4.8>?). I’ve also been reading a bit about Blindwrites “autoplay” fuction, does this do the same thing as the “Ignore Media Type” option?

Yes, you will need Alcohol or CloneCD installed on your system with Hide CDR and/or Ignore Media Type enabled. They do not have to be running.

SafeDisc has an ATIP check from v2.41+
SecuROM has an ATIP check from SecuROM new, including 4.8x
Possibly a couple of others. But not all.

I think BlindWrite’s Autoplay function is an ATIP hider and Emulation all in one.

>Can I make the BWA files myself using the BWA Builder?

Absolutely. But sometimes the BWA cannot turn out spectacular, so if you want a good BWA image, you can download it.

>I’ve also found out that as game patches are released some developers update their protections, this means that theres a chance that the backup will no longer work correct?

Well, it depends. It shouldn’t really happen, but there’s never a guarantee. But the protection upgrades aren’t that dramatic, and you shouldn’t have a problem. Take a look here.

Good luck!