Am I coverting my DVD collection correctly? Please help

Hi Guys. Ok…i’m backing up my DVDs of TV shows…The way i’ve been doing it is like this.

1…Ripping _VIDEO files using DVDShrink (no compression)…7.5gb each approx per disk

2…Converting ifo files so they are separate episodes to DivX format…highest settings…in DVDRipper Platinum

3…Then putting those DIvx episodes into ConvertXtoDVD

I can get quite a few episodes on 1 disc and overall i’m pretty happy with the result…However the sound isnt great and i get banding on the video sometimes…(especially dark areas).

Do you think converting to DivX first is the problem?

Can i out my video files directly into ConvertToDVD without converting to DivX first…if so will this separate the info into separate episodes?

I hope this has come across as understandable.

Any advice would be great as although its an ok conversion…the banding and sound is a bit annoying plus i have to do the added process of converting to DiVx.

Cheers

Use Xvid rather than Divx. It’s a much better codec. Go to free-codecs.com.

I’m not too sure about the sound issue but maybe the Lame mp3 Encoder would help. I get good results using the highest settings. This is at Free-Codecs too.

I’ve never used DVDRipper though so I’m not sure if my suggestions will help. I use FlasKMPEG and get good results using avi format.

[QUOTE=ahyii;2198555]
1…Ripping _VIDEO files using DVDShrink (no compression)…7.5gb each approx per disk

2…Converting ifo files so they are separate episodes to DivX format…highest settings…in DVDRipper Platinum

3…Then putting those DIvx episodes into ConvertXtoDVD

I can get quite a few episodes on 1 disc and overall i’m pretty happy with the result…However the sound isnt great and i get banding on the video sometimes…(especially dark areas).

Do you think converting to DivX first is the problem?

Can i out my video files directly into ConvertToDVD without converting to DivX first…if so will this separate the info into separate episodes?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I’m not familiar with DVDRipper Platinum, but I would recommend trying DVDfab Plat,to do-it all…
Anyhow,why not just use DVDshrink in 'Re-Author mode and use ‘start/end’ frame feature and save each clip to it’s own folder…Or DVDDecrypter in IFO mode for chapter backup…Or run through an editor w/o converting to avi…
The converting to avi is an unnecessary step,and yes most likely the problem…

This may be more than you want to do.I would use DVDShrink in Re-author to edit out each episode seperatly.Each episode in its own folder on your HD.Then take DVDStyler or DVDFlick both create menus.
You need the guide for these but with DVDStyler you create title sets for each episode .There will be a main menu for the episode & a title set menu for each episode .There is some learning curve but you can get a nice result.
DVDStyler will burn to disc or the HD.I have other burners I like so I usually go to HD then burn with those.Plus I can preview to make sure it’s working correctly.